Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 20, 2008   #1
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Default Salad Blue and Highland Burgundy Red potatoes

Hello all,

I am new in growing potatoes, so far only grown Nicola and Bintje potatoes in pots. I bought the Salad Blue and Highland Burgundy Red potato seeds since january '08 and each seed has produce 2 to 5 chubby shoots (about 1cm in diameter and about 3 to 5 cm long). I only let 2 to 3 shoots per seeds and just planted them in 10 to 12.5 litres pot per seed.
I use manured compost for their growing medium (a mix of mushroom compost,old cow manure and top soil).

Have you ever grow these potatoes ? I don't know how productive are they. Do I need a bigger pot for the seed ?

I would also like to save the berries for the (true) seed purpose. Do I need to isolate them away from each other (I mean the Salad Blue and The Highland Burundy Red) ? If yes, how far ?
Do I need to hand pollinate them or is the pollinations done by insect or wind ?
So sorry if other has ask this before but I have no clue and needed help .

Many Thanks in advance .
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2008   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
I am new in growing potatoes, so far only grown Nicola and Bintje potatoes in pots. I bought the Salad Blue and Highland Burgundy Red potato seeds since january '08 and each seed has produce 2 to 5 chubby shoots (about 1cm in diameter and about 3 to 5 cm long). I only let 2 to 3 shoots per seeds and just planted them in 10 to 12.5 litres pot per seed.
I use manured compost for their growing medium (a mix of mushroom compost,old cow manure and top soil).

Have you ever grow these potatoes ? I don't know how productive are they. Do I need a bigger pot for the seed ?
Tomaat,

I grew Nicola in the past and am planting again my Bintjes, plus some clean mini tubers of Bintje this spring. The Salad Blue is the same or similar to All Blue, here in the States. The Highland Burgandy is one I have not grown by that name but perhaps by a another name which is so common in your area. Your question about the containers to grow potatoes is a good one.
12.5 liters = 3.30215065 US gallons is an ample size container to grow potatoes.

Quote:
I would also like to save the berries for the (true) seed purpose. Do I need to isolate them away from each other (I mean the Salad Blue and The Highland Burundy Red) ? If yes, how far ?
Do I need to hand pollinate them or is the pollinations done by insect or wind ?
So sorry if other has ask this before but I have no clue and needed help
No problem in asking these questions as all questions seem to have a different slant to them.

No need to isolate for fruit/seed production. I cannot rely on wind/insect pollination so I frequently hand cross or self the flowers. You will get more vigor in the seedling population if you cross. OP potatoes don't yield as well as F-1 hybrids. In order to get berry set, you may have to "rob" the developing tubers to channel more energy into the plant to avoid early senescence and to trick the potato to set the blooms rather than abort.

I did a little research for photos. Just click on the links for some rather striking shots.

http://www.heritage-potatoes.co.uk/s...products_id=36

Highland Burgundy 1936

This variety dates back to at least 1936 when it was used to add appropriate colour to a meal for the Duke of Burgundy in the Savoy. Highland Burgundy Red is mostly burgundy red inside with a definite ring of white flesh just under the skin. Highland Burgundy red has a dull russet layer over a bright burgundy skin.

The tubers are oval to long oval. They make excellent novelty chips, crisps and mash.
Nutritionalists say that the antioxidants provide many health benefits, including protection against cancer and other diseases.
http://potatoes.thompson-morgan.com/product/zww5199/1

http://www.picturenation.co.uk/catal...371&q=burgundy

http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.co...ge-potato.html

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/pd--...Cut_Potato.htm

http://www.packetseeds.com/html/potatoes.html
I have grown all but the Rover and the Gypsy of the above group.

Good pixs of these colored potatoes. Hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2008   #3
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Many thanks for your precious infos,Tom .
I bought them from Alan Romans (UK). I was (am) atrract by their beautiful colour plus it has high pigment content which work as potent antioxidant.
I saw the Cranberry potato (or "all red" if I am not mistaken) on one of the US site, it look so a like with Highland Burgundy Red, love the colour . So far I like the taste of Nicola and Bintje, hopefully the salad Blue and Highland Burgundy Red also taste nice.

I never seen any potato berries on either Nicola nor Bintje, hopefully I have better chance with these 2 potatoes. I read your thread about saving potatoes true seeds (berries). They are very informative, thanks so much for posting them,Tom . I will surely hand pollinate them and follow your instructions in saving the berries. If I got the Salad Blue and the Highland Burgundy Red true seeds, you are welcome to have some seeds .

Good luck with your Bintje .
Old March 23, 2008   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Tomaat,

Quote:
I never seen any potato berries on either Nicola nor Bintje, hopefully I have better chance with these 2 potatoes. I read your thread about saving potatoes true seeds (berries). They are very informative, thanks so much for posting them,Tom
You probably won't see any berries on these two varieties.

I know of 24 and 31 named clones from the respective crosses of Nicola and Bintje.

These two need to be pollinated with a different male parent clone in order to get seed set (berry set).

I have fun with Bintje in the flavor department using Semlo a cross of Bintje and Gabriela, a cross of Solanum andigena out of Peru. Gabriela is a cross of Algona and Chola. I have been growing Algona crosses lately also.

The cross of Semlo with Stina, a Nordic variety has produced many good clones for me. I have two more crossing generations with these, especially with an F-2 of Stina with further crosses with Peruvian/Idaho clones. It gets complicated after a while. I like to mix European, American and Peruvian clones to get wide adaptation in my germ plasm.

Quote:
I will surely hand pollinate them and follow your instructions in saving the berries. If I got the Salad Blue and the Highland Burgundy Red true seeds, you are welcome to have some seeds
That would be great. I rarely have anyone following my instruction to develop anything close to what i have been doing all these years.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2008   #5
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the Nicola & Binjte's berry confirmation, it is good to know that . Lots of the varieties you mentioned, we don't have it here . It is just too bad that they don't grow/introduce more varieties and not only that, lots of old varieties dissappeared and the farmers only focus on growing certain commercial types. I think it is much to do with the monoculture farming here. Really too bad !

I have hand polinated my squashes,cucumber,gourd,melon, pepper and quice and they work very well. We do have frequent visit from the bees (plus bumble bees and several type of wasp species) but last year they were significantly lesser than years before and that made me resolve in hand pollinating. I really don't mind to hand pollinate the potatoes too and I will possibly be trying to cross pollinate the tomatoes as well (as an experiment, I will be trying to cross the red and yellow dwarf determinant type and hoping for the dwarf stripe result .
It will be fun to see what come up .

You mentioned about the aroma of the potatoes berries, how does it smell like to tell it is ready to be pick, Tom ?

I will have to look for the trisodium phosphat harder, we went to the nearby DIY shop and they don't have it and the shop keeper said it is a hard to get agent in NL . I will try it via a cousin, she study chemist .

Many thanks in advance,

Nevi
Old June 10, 2009   #6
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tom,

Here is the Highland Burgundy red spud grown from TPS, I found the mini tuber accidentally thought it was an oak nut brought in by one of the squirel, unfortunately I have pluck it from the plant, but will keep it as a seed potato for next growing season. Thanks for all your great advice .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Potato HBR berries2.jpg (161.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg TPS HBR spuds 1.jpg (445.1 KB, 24 views)
Old June 10, 2009   #7
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

Hi are those Berries TPS on your Poatoe Plant? Paul
phicks48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #8
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

looking healthy Nevi,i'm wondering if those berries are a little immature to pick yet,also could you post a photo of that HBR cut open.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #9
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Paul, yes, those are fruit/berries of the Highland Burgundy Red spud (from last year).

MG, oh no...I will have to look for a smaller one for cutting up, not that one please ?
The berries picture was taken last year, I did wait till it ripe...smell great when the berries ripe .
Old June 10, 2009   #10
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

ok thats good,look forward to the photo
Old June 10, 2009   #11
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

MG, how many spuds did you cut to find out about the colour of the flesh ?
Old June 10, 2009   #12
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Every one has some red inside,but dont know if theres as much as whats in HBR
Old June 11, 2009   #13
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

I have cut 1 tuber! Guess what, the flesh is red ,but not as magenta red as the tuber grown from seed potato (tuber).
I will post the picture tomorrow.
Old June 13, 2009   #14
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Here is the promised picture ! I am calling it "Rosy" .

MG, do you have your cut up pink spud picture ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rosy TPS of HBR.jpg (118.6 KB, 25 views)