Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 2, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Wilt

i noticed today when I got home, that some of the leaves on my Cherokee Purple were wilted pretty badly. I checked the soil and it didnt appear too dry, as we have had an inch of rain in the past week. But I gave it a little water anyway and it perked back up. Strange as it was the only plant in the garden that showed the wilt. And it was only a few leaves toward the top of the plant. The remaining foliage looked just fine.
Forgot to add that it has been mainly overcast lately but today was mostly sun and 85 plus degrees. Dont know if that matters or not.

Last edited by duajones; April 2, 2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added info
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
Forgot to add that it has been mainly overcast lately but today was mostly sun and 85 plus degrees. Dont know if that matters or not.
It's likely that the plant is trying to adjust to the change in conditions. It's been pretty overcast here lately, too. The tops of a couple of my larger plants looked like that the other day when the sun (and heat) abruptly came back out.

Just be careful not to overwater when you see this; always check the soil a few inches down to see if it's really dry. Sometimes it's best to leave the plant alone and let it adapt.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2007   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

The soil wasnt too dry when i checked it with my moisture meter, but I still gave it a touch of water. More rain expected in the forecast so I didnt want to overdo it. I probably didnt need to do anything but figured a little water wouldnt hurt. The plant looks like it may have more fruit than any I have experienced of this particular variety, and that is exciting so I was a little panicked when I saw the wilt. No harm done and hoping to have my best experience with CP.

Duane
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote