Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2017   #1
MadScientist
Tomatovillian™

Default Any ideas?

I know its not possible to be confident, but can anyone take a guess as to what type of tomato this might be? For scale, its probably 6-8oz in weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2882.jpg (233.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2883.jpg (311.4 KB, 57 views)
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

It is nearly impossible to get it for sure. The lighting in the first pic makes it hard to see the colors properly. The second makes me think maybe Golden Queen?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #3
MadScientist
Tomatovillian™

yup--I dont expect anything definitive; just some ideas.

maybe I can add more: the color is more gold than yellow, with distinct gray/green shoulders. I saved seeds and they are RL.
Old May 4, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I don't know what it is, but this question might help someone else figure it out: Taste wise, did it taste sweet, balanced or acidic? Slightly more one way than the other, or strongly so? I know tastes is different for different people and can vary due to growing conditions, but it might help identify it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

It could also be some kind of pineapple tomato. The green shoulder might disappear if fully ripe.

In my garden right now I have 4 varieties, from seeds taken from store heirlooms.
One is positively identified as Ananas Noire but the rest are not. It really does not matter to me what they are called. I have been growing them for 3 seasons now and have not found a match to either one.
One of them is seen in my avatar picture. I call it Brown Heart. It has a nice valentine hear shape and tasty.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #6
MadScientist
Tomatovillian™

Good point--it was sweet and somewhat intense tomato flavor. Hope that is useful!
Old May 4, 2017   #7
MadScientist
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
It could also be some kind of pineapple tomato. The green shoulder might disappear if fully ripe.

In my garden right now I have 4 varieties, from seeds taken from store heirlooms.
One is positively identified as Ananas Noire but the rest are not. It really does not matter to me what they are called. I have been growing them for 3 seasons now and have not found a match to either one.
One of them is seen in my avatar picture. I call it Brown Heart. It has a nice valentine hear shape and tasty.
Old May 4, 2017   #8
MadScientist
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

Store/farmer's market seed saving was my approach too--I found a beautiful pink PL variety at the grocery store that I am growing this year. I am curious what strain is it, but I agree that at the end of the day, it doesnt really matter!