Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2017   #1
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Adequate Spacing

I'm following Dick Raymond's Summer Garden Plan this summer. He has 18 tomatoes (caged or staked) in one row, giving each just shy of 2' spacing.

Now I'm wondering, is this adequate? I'm growing all open pollinated/ heirloom. I've made cages out of 6' high field fencing. There would be 2-3" between the closest points of the cage (it's a circle, remember).

What are your thoughts? Too close? Doable? Would I need to prune to 2-3 main stems if I went with this spacing set up?
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The spacing you referred to ( shy of 2 ft ) is OK with sturdy 6ft cages .
If your cages are say 20" in diameter you won't have access between the cages ( you already have said that ), unless you are planting in rows with 3-4 ft spacing.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #3
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
The spacing you referred to ( shy of 2 ft ) is OK with sturdy 6ft cages .
If your cages are say 20" in diameter you won't have access between the cages ( you already have said that ), unless you are planting in rows with 3-4 ft spacing.
There's plenty of spacing on either side of the one tomato row, so reaching between the cages is no worry.
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I stake and prune to two stems with "just shy of 2' spacing" between my plants and they do okay as long as I provide them plenty of nutrients given the high number of root systems sharing such close quarters. Maintaining good air flow is also a concern, but as you'll have a single row it shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep each plant confined to it's cage and don't let it get too crowded within the cage.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #5
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Over the years I've tried just about every imaginable spacing and found that 3 ft between plants and 4 ft between rows works best for tomatoes.

Bob
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #6
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFXEFU View Post
Over the years I've tried just about every imaginable spacing and found that 3 ft between plants and 4 ft between rows works best for tomatoes.

Bob
Agreed.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #7
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I went pretty tight this year, as I didn't have much yard to till up. Mine are 20-24 inches apart, which is closer than I would like, but I should be able to squeeze through there. For seed saving, I will bag blossoms. Does anyone have a recommendation about what kind of bags to use? Mesh with a drawstring?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden 5-5-17.jpg (170.3 KB, 104 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #8
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I went pretty tight this year, as I didn't have much yard to till up. Mine are 20-24 inches apart, which is closer than I would like, but I should be able to squeeze through there. For seed saving, I will bag blossoms. Does anyone have a recommendation about what kind of bags to use? Mesh with a drawstring?
Old May 5, 2017   #9
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

As others have said, it shouldn't be an issues with proper support and pruning.

I'm growing my heirlooms on 16" spacing this year, with a fence to grow vertically.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #10
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I cage and stake my tomatoes and using 24" between plants and 36" between rows last year I had to crawl between the rows to pick. Didn't like it. So this year I went with 36" and 42" this year and will see how it works out. I find myself trying little tweaks every year trying to improve on the previous years problems. I am getting to old to belly crawl through the dirt.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Plant spacing has 2 side : One is what the plant needs and require. That is minimum root to provide for plants root system and uptake of nutrients and moisture. The other side of spacing concerns the gardener. More space offers a lot of convenience to the gardener. Where is tight spacing requiere a lot more like support and pruning.
Look at it this way: Any tomato can be grown successfully in 10 to 12 gallon container. That is less than 2 cubic foot of soil volume. A space of 2ft x 2ft and 18" deep will have 6 cu-ft of soil volume.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #12
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Close enough Gardeneer- it's 9.42 cubic feet.

That's a LOT of soil. I'm 20 inches apart. So my volume would be 6.5 cubic ft. of soil. Which is plenty
Old May 6, 2017   #13
imp
Tomatovillian™

Adequate air flow is important as well as what the roots should have as far as soil spacing. Diseases in your area will be harder to control on tightly spaced plants.

There are a lot of variables in choosing how much space per plant.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
There are a lot of variables in choosing how much space per plant.
I agree. Soil quality is one of them. The curse of success in improving soil is that plants get bigger, requiring more support and spacing.

I do battle with whiteflies every summer, and I am pruning plants much more closely this year. I want the spray to be able to penetrate the plant better, and give the whiteflies less places to hide.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If a person has the room I would suggest for an un-pruned plant in a cage at the very least a foot to two feet between (cages) not plant main stems.
This is relative to how big around the person is going to be that works in the garden.
Four to even five or six feet diameter cage dead center around the plants at six feet you have only four feet of space left.
What this does is allow a person to move in and around the plants with little difficulty.
By allowing this it will make a person more prone to take better care of the plants.
Thus you have bigger better plants with more production overriding the greedy grower that tries to pack as many plants in a space as they can.
It also segregates any plants that may come down with something and allow you to get rid of it before it transmits it to another plant.
Even if you really have to pack the plants in closer in the rows you really need this extra space between rows.
Your choice.
But at least in long rows leave a space every now and then to get into the next row without walking the whole row to do so.
You simply do not want a jungle you have to cut your way through to do any work.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote