Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 12, 2016   #1
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default V and Probably F -- Which Rootstock?

After some quality time in the garden this morning with my ailing plants and an iPad, it's time to face facts -- I'm definitely dealing with Verticullum Wilt and most likely some Fusarium. It's been three years now since I had a good harvest from my tomatoes, and this year was the worst. It even invaded my grow bags this year and has now taken out a few dwarf project plants. It's getting depressing.

I have now accepted that grafting will have to become part of my gardening routine and I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject today. What I'm having trouble deciding on is the rootstock.

I've narrowed it down to two - Estamino and RST-04-106-T. I grow about 66% medium sized pastes, 33% medium to large slicers, and one cherry each year. All are mid-season varieties with maybe an early or two in the mix. I plant out on Memorial Day and first frost is usually early to mid-October, so not an overly long growing season. Summers vary between wet and warm, or hot and steamy.

I'd love to hear some feedback and get recommendations from other grafters on which rootstock(s) might be best for which varieties given my location and growing season.

I'll still try to grow dwarf project varieties without grafting but maybe move the bags out of the garden and onto a solid surface that won't allow the roots to come in contact with the ground.

Oh, and any recommendations on grafting supply and rootstock vendors will also be appreciated!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote