Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2016   #1
Psalms441
Tomatovillian™

Default History of Purdens Purple

Hello,
I have been looking around on the Internet for the history of Prudens Purple. There is no name credited to the person who created or donated this tomato. All that is said is that it is related to Brandywine. Any history on this tomato in here?
Psalms441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalms441 View Post
Hello,
I have been looking around on the Internet for the history of Prudens Purple. There is no name credited to the person who created or donated this tomato. All that is said is that it is related to Brandywine. Any history on this tomato in here?
No,it is not related to Brandywine.That came about when Prudens Purple was listed at Pinetree seeds many years ago and referred to it as an early Brandywine

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Pruden%27s_Purple

It is not know who first named it Prudens Purple or where it was first found. In the SSE Yearbooks there was a huge argument b/c one person was saying the correct name was Prudence Purple and said so and so named it that way.

If I had the time I could go back to my earlier SSE Yearbooks and try to pull up more info,but honstly,I just don't have the time.

All to say is that it's,IMO,an excellent variety.

Carolyn
Old July 5, 2016   #3
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

these were the pride and joy of my garden last year.... Dear Prudens....
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Carolyn, you just explained why I have read it called by both names. I just planted two Pruden's Purple today for our fall garden. Now, I know it is truly named Pruden's Purple.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #5
Psalms441
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Dr. Carolyn. I have some of those seeds and will try next spring. It was jut a mystery to me where it's origins came from.
Psalms441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
adjective
adjective: prudent
acting with or showing care and thought for the future.

Prudent as adjective to "purple" sounds more relevant than "prudence"
. JMO

But , anyway it sounds like something to grow. I might add it to my 2017 grow list for more than one reason : First being tasty ; Second being early ..
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #7
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Interesting query and informative reply. Is it safe to say that seeds are true from all vendors and what governs seed sellers. Seems like there could be some discrepancy off the beaten path.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I think it is just someone's first or last name Pruden - Example - John Pruden or Pruden Smith.

Then add an 's to Pruden making it a possessive noun.

Pruden's meaning a purple tomato someone named Pruden named after them self = Pruden's Purple.

AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I think it is just someone's first or last name Pruden - Example - John Pruden or Pruden Smith.

Then add an 's to Pruden making it a possessive noun.

Pruden's meaning a purple tomato someone named Pruden named after them self = Pruden's Purple.

Sound logical explanation , to me, Robert.

Prudent's Purple (tomatoa)

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
Interesting query and informative reply. Is it safe to say that seeds are true from all vendors and what governs seed sellers. Seems like there could be some discrepancy off the beaten path.
Not just for Prudens Purple, but any variety,IMO you cannot be sure of what you are getting from most seed vendors. Those that do their own growouts and seed saving are perhaps the best.Those that contract out or buy seed wholsale often have problems.

Back at the original Garden Web I used to do a thread each year asking about wrong varieties and where they came from and what folks did about it.

I was surprised to find that many never reported wrong varieties b/c they were too embarrassed to do so.

Again IMO, there are some seed sources I trust much more than others and no,I'm not going to list them here since there will never be consensus.Over the years I've participated at many different message sites and I feel confident in saying that the highest percentage of wrong varieties comes from traded seeds.

And there were always problems when an individual stated they got wrong seeds for X seed CO,reported it, and their computer records showed that the person never had bought seeds from them.Sometimes such persons would post and say they were wrong,sometimes not.

Carolyn
Old July 6, 2016   #11
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

My aunt has/had a seed bank for medicinal plants that she grew organically. Interns usually worked the farm over the summer and were seed collecting labor. Screened boards and often very tedious with small seeds. Often time late teen, early 20 something's doing a summer stint. I have gathered many a seed for the operation and admit, I lose patience and focus - but also admit I have adult onset ADHD - a very severe case of it!!

So, I'm sure some might thing this whole thing is like a lab experience with strict QC, but probably not. Then again, I've worked in a few QC labs where high IQ couldn't tie shoe.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

To this day, I still label it Prudence Purple.

Not to rile up Carolyn ( I know not to strike a hornet's nest), but maybe someone searching for the "correct" name (either is good enough for me), if there is a correct name, will find it.

Now if I remember correctly , Carolyn, you've said the first listing in the SSE was Prudence Purple. About the only other thing I "may" remember was the donator's name sounded Scottish, and was from from PA or somewhere thereabouts.

What I do remember the most, is that Prudence Purple is the earliest of the "superb" tasting tomatoes in my garden. Pruden's Purple is ripe a few minutes later.

Gary

P.S. Carolyn, if I did rile you up, please have me confused as one of the other Garys.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
To this day, I still label it Prudence Purple.

Not to rile up Carolyn ( I know not to strike a hornet's nest), but maybe someone searching for the "correct" name (either is good enough for me), if there is a correct name, will find it.

Now if I remember correctly , Carolyn, you've said the first listing in the SSE was Prudence Purple. About the only other thing I "may" remember was the donator's name sounded Scottish, and was from from PA or somewhere thereabouts.

What I do remember the most, is that Prudence Purple is the earliest of the "superb" tasting tomatoes in my garden. Pruden's Purple is ripe a few minutes later.

Gary

P.S. Carolyn, if I did rile you up, please have me confused as one of the other Garys.
Gary,it was first SSE listed as Prudens Purple, and then came along this other person who said it should be called Prudence Purple,and that started the argument.

aha, my 1993 SSE Yearbok just appeared so I can give you that info.

I was correct in saying that it was first listed as Prudens Purple.

An SSE member from Indiana then said that it should be Prudence Purple, and he got the seeds from a Mr McLaughlin who said he would be listing it as Prudence,rather than Prudens and that he should do the same.He got seeds from an older gent in Charleston,IL who spelled it that way.

In that 1993 Yearbook there were many listings for Prudens but very few for Prudence.

In the 2016 SSE Yearbook there are many listings for Prudens,and just ONE listing for Prudence.

If you want to continue listing it as Prudence,that's up to you,but from what I've just shared with you I know I wouldn't.

About riling me up Gary.I've got lots of other issues to get riled about these days viz my current health problems.

Carolyn
Old May 3, 2017   #14
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Prudens Purple is a huge showoff in my garden this year - thick stems, plenty of blooms, and getting close to topping the 5 foot CRW cage! Wow! Prudens loves Virginia!

Thanks to Tormato for the MMMM swap where I got the seeds.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #15
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

So, to summarize, nobody knows Pruden (or Prudence for that matter) and the tomato ain't purple (pink right?), but it sure is tasty.

Anyway, it did fine from seed for me so I will be growing it for the first time this year. Excited to try it.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote