Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 28, 2016   #1
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Default Wrapping containers with foil?

I have planted some overflow tomatoes and peppers in black 30 gal rubber pots that sit on my concrete slab patio. The plants are doing well and are very healthy, but the demand a LOT of water at least every 2 days as they begin drooping. I have thought about spray painting the sides white to reflect the sunshine instead of the black absorbing the heat. But decided to wrap and tape aluminum foil around the pots. With our 95+ summer temps I can almost hear the roots screaming as they bake in these black rubber caldrons. Anyone else tried this and was it successful? I don't mind having to water so often but keeping them fed is getting expensive.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I don't do foil, but will use thick white bags to block the sun`; I will put it on the west side of the EarthBox or black container. I also grow in RootPouches which are fine by themselves.

If I don't have a reusuable white cover (example the inside of the promix bag), I will use a compactor bag.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Heat is expressed in infrared light.
Infrared light is best reflected with white but the foil will work just fine too.

It might be sliver now that I think of it.
Here is this.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...n42EaWgZllGZxg

All of the silly shiny stuff they put on engines actually makes them run hotter.
Black inside and out is the best for throwing off heat from an engine.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; June 28, 2016 at 02:02 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I use cheap garbage bags (the thicker ones last longer). White is best, but large heavy white garbage bags are tough to find so I tried black ones. They worked pretty well! Apparently the air gap is more important than the reflection. The ones with the draw 'string' let you snug the top around the pot so it stays put.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

My containers on balcony are wrapped with foil. Actually not fully wrapped, but only the part exposed to the sun. It helps but not as much as I hoped.
I used some thick foil, really surprised how well it resisted some serious storm a year ago (the scotch tape with which it was attached especially), and it's still like new this year. The normal kitchen one will last maybe one season if lucky (will be shredded by the end).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #6
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
I use cheap garbage bags (the thicker ones last longer). White is best, but large heavy white garbage bags are tough to find so I tried black ones. They worked pretty well! Apparently the air gap is more important than the reflection. The ones with the draw 'string' let you snug the top around the pot so it stays put.
These are the ones I use when I don't have the re-used kind:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-18-Ga...9933/203473002

It works out to .33 per bag;
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #7
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Some good stuff , and especially Barb's twin tips of re-purposing the promix and compactor bags.

I'd also get an inexpensive probe thermometer, check your mix temps in different setups. They're cheap, and they'll give you direction for your innovations.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #8
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the feedback. I had considered just getting cheap poster type paper, but thought I would give the foil a try, since that didn't involve going shopping.

Several years ago I tried container growing in smaller containers. I eventually dug holes in the ground that the containers would fit in and that worked great. But with the Rock and tough digging around here I didn't feel like digging holes 30 gallon pots would fit in during the summer heat.
Old June 28, 2016   #9
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I just get a 6" roller...and roll the sides of my containers with white primer or flat white. I can do 4 or 5 containers in less than 10 minutes. It is a cheap and effective way to reduce heat around the roots.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm going to spray-paint the 2 black pots we have - white. I don't need to attract heat in Texas.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #11
oakley
Tomatovillian™

If spraying white, get the spray-bombs for plastics. What a mess when it starts to peel.

At work today i saw a roll of insulated foil for pipes and duct work. Basically bubble wrap lined with foil inside/outside and thought that would be a good container reflective solution...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.45.30 AM.png (150.5 KB, 89 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #12
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Handy stuff that foil sided bubble wrap insulation, I cut half-moons and make top covers. They cut evaporation and keep the soil cooler. The 70f temp was at the end of a 95F day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg makeover88.jpg (121.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg makeover94.jpg (349.1 KB, 85 views)
Old June 29, 2016   #13
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Ricky, what a beautiful, organized garden.
Old June 29, 2016   #14
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I have no life.
Old June 29, 2016   #15
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Good use of the foil RickyShaw...i missed that in your other pic posting. I also have the same grey grow pouches. Three sizes i've not used yet...(the small ones are about to get some dwarfs)...at the moment one has the sides folded down and collecting change and pocket stuff on the bedroom dresser.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote