Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 10, 2016   #1
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf Golden Gypsy

Heritage Seed Market offers "Dwarf Golden Gypsy" (link and their description below) as a new release for 2016 from the Dwarf Project. I know many of you were involved with the release of this variety. I am posting here because I was not part of the DP for DGG. I decided to purchase the seeds and share my results for those who participated in the DP and others who may be interested in this release.

http://heritageseedmarket.com/index....olden-gypsy-2/

Description in part: “Dwarf Golden Gypsy” originated with a cross made between Golden Dwarf Champion and Elbe made by Patrina Nuske Small in 2006 and named Tipsy. Dwarf Golden Gypsy was selected and named by Wendy Montanez. The vigorous potato leaf dwarf plants produce heavy yields of smooth oblate medium yellow fruit with pale yellow flesh, ranging from 8-18 ounces. The flavor is among the very best among the new dwarfs – intense, sprightly (with a distinct refreshing tang), and simply delicious.

It was the description of the fruit size and flavor that interested me most. I am excited to see how this new variety performs!

I planted 4 seeds on January 1st 2016. All 4 seeds germinated within 5 days. I kept the best 2 seedlings and moved them into 4x4x5 pots on January 13th. Photo shows them in the 4x4 pot on January 28th. I moved them to the GH on February 3rd into a 5 gallon container - see photo. The next photo was taken on March 4th and Dwarf Golden Gypsy has blossoms on March 9th. Dwarf Golden Gypsy appears prolific as I can count 8 buds/blossoms right from the start. I will update the progress of Dwarf Golden Gypsy throughout this growing season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0325_1024.jpg (359.3 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0327_1024.jpg (224.7 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0362_1024.jpg (453.7 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0546_1024.jpg (413.3 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0562_1024.jpg (267.5 KB, 427 views)
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2016   #2
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Just what I was looking for ...... I'm working with Scary F2 (Dwarf Golden Gypsy x Sungold) Dwarf Project growout and was curious what DGG looked like
Old March 10, 2016   #3
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

PNW D - Great, my timing was good. I'll keep you informed!
Old March 11, 2016   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I grew the tomato you see on their web page. I loved it but it didn't produce an abundance of fruit unless it was in the greenhouse. Outside production wasn't fabulous the few times I grew it but the Summers were cold both years, inside it was great.
Old March 11, 2016   #5
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

clkeiper - how was the taste? I don't care so much for the sweet taste of most yellow tomatoes - like Mortgage Lifter Bicolor for example (photo). The description claimed this yellow was intense, sprightly (with a distinct refreshing tang), and simply delicious. Do you agree with that? I have no choice - I must grow in the GH here in Wyoming at 6,500' so it should produce for me based on your experience Do you have any photos of the fruit or the plant that shows how prolific Dwarf Golden Gypsy is grown in the GH?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_CollageIt_zps5eb330b8_1024.jpg (145.2 KB, 371 views)
Old March 11, 2016   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson_WY View Post
clkeiper - how was the taste? I don't care so much for the sweet taste of most yellow tomatoes - like Mortgage Lifter Bicolor for example (photo). The description claimed this yellow was intense, sprightly (with a distinct refreshing tang), and simply delicious. Do you agree with that? I have no choice - I must grow in the GH here in Wyoming at 6,500' so it should produce for me based on your experience Do you have any photos of the fruit or the plant that shows how prolific Dwarf Golden Gypsy is grown in the GH?
I agree with the taste description... citrusy and not sweet/bland/boring. It was one of my favorites. I can't say that I have any pictures of the plant in the greenhouse but my plant reached to about 8' tall in there. I checked my camera cards and didn't see anything left from the growout. sorry. It does take a long time to get ripe fruit, too. Don't be too disappointed when you are reaching to the last of the season before getting ripe fruit. They are worth the wait in my opinion, though.
Old March 12, 2016   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

http://206.214.211.133/~tomatovl/sho...en+dwarf+gypsy.. Here are all the pictures I posted in the dwarf forum incase you haven't seen these.
Old March 12, 2016   #8
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks clkeiper - I must not have done a proper search because I did't see it the last time I searched - I must have typed it wrong. We have similar opinions when it comes to the bland taste of yellows. I noted your assessment of DGG's taste! That was interesting - I will compare my results. I do have at least one fused blossom - I won't pinch it off though. I want to see the resulting fruit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0560_1024.jpg (218.6 KB, 343 views)
Old March 12, 2016   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

i am not into fused fruit. I pinch them off. they take forever to ripen wasting the energy of the plant for the other fruit... is my opinion.
Old March 14, 2016   #10
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

It has been 10 weeks since the seeds were planted. Dwarf Golden Gypsy is looking good and is about 2' tall - but still no fruit yet. It shouldn't be long now. New Big Dwarf has already set fruit in comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0608_1024.jpg (404.7 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0611_1024.jpg (294.5 KB, 313 views)
Old March 25, 2016   #11
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Update: Dwarf Golden Gypsy has finally set fruit. It was planted the same day as New Big Dwarf. The plant is as large as NBD and although Dwarf Golden Gypsy has as many (probably several more) trusses/blossoms - it was slower to set fruit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0702_1024.jpg (430.1 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0703_1024.jpg (373.7 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0704_1024.jpg (284.8 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0705_1024.jpg (396.0 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0706_1024.jpg (251.4 KB, 274 views)
Old March 25, 2016   #12
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Are those remesh grid sheets?
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #13
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Hi Scooty,
No - they are galvanized cattle (49"X16') or hog panels (39"X16'). I like them way better than remesh because they are galvanized - heavier gauge - and easy to cut for whatever purpose with bolt cutters. They come in a sheet and lay flat or can be bent. Several gardeners make a GH with the panels - do a google or youtube search if you are interested. They work great for me in our GH for tomato and cucumber supports!
Old March 25, 2016   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

nice looking plants.
Old April 7, 2016   #15
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks clkeiper! Here is an update: Dwarf Golden Gypsy is still growing vertical and is sending out more branches and trusses. There is a lot of yellow in our GH today! I count 15 buds/blossoms on one of the trusses!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0776_1024.jpg (477.3 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0777_1024.jpg (325.2 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0778_1024.jpg (309.1 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0780_1024.jpg (313.7 KB, 248 views)