Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 31, 2007   #1
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Default New SSE Yearbook arrived

Got mine this morning. Surely I'm not the first?!

J
Old January 31, 2007   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Well I guess I am second....5" of new snow and husband out of town until Sat....I feel some good reading coming on!

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2007   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

We in upstate NY have to wait until they hitch up the huskies and deliver the Yearbook by sled.

it's not that we have any snow other than about an inch on the groud for the whole season, but it's been cold, darn cold, and the huskies and cold tolerant driver are much more able to deliver than is my mailman Brian whom I can hardly see under his parka and hat with earflaps, etc.

I can wait, and what choice do I have?

otherwise, my appt with my surgeon went well yesterday and I'll be setting the surgery date this week for early May, either the 9th or 10th.

And realizing I can't get out there and do any real gardening with veggies I phoned in an order to Bluestone Perennials in Ohio, a company I love and haven't dealt with for several years, for several hundred dollars of perennial plants to be sent on May 29th.

I'm converting a good part of the raised bed to a new perennial garden, redoing the three smaller raised beds at the front of the house with new perennials, and going with just 6-8 tomato plants in pots and maybe 6 at one end of the raised bed.

Where I live the soil depth is about 1/2 inch so no leaves are raked in the Fall, hoping to up that soil depth maybe 1/16th of an inch in 50 years.

Perennials have always been my first love, especially the fragrant ones and I used to have lots of them years ago before I moved here.

And now to peruse the two catalogs I requested and received re all new miniature roses. I used to have about 150 of them and bred them, but most of the offspring were dogs and had to be euthanized ASAP.

So I'll wait until I hear the barking of the huskies before I look for my Yearbook.
Old January 31, 2007   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Got mine this morning.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2007   #5
bcday
Tomatovillian™

No Yearbook here yet either.

But I do have a Bluestone Perennials catalog. And it's going to be REALLY cold around here next week so I'm going to stay in where it's warm and give that catalog and others some attention.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2007   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

But I do have a Bluestone Perennials catalog. And it's going to be REALLY cold around here next week so I'm going to stay in where it's warm and give that catalog and others some attention.

Now you've got me laughing a bit b'c you had until midnight last night to call in your Bluestone order early so as to get 20% off the whole order.

I couldn't do it until I saw Richard my surgeon on Tuesday AM and knew roughly when that new right hip will go in ( May 9 or 10), so I could tell them when to ship my plants and I knew I'd be home from rehab if I'm forced to go there again.

I called yesterday AM and spent several hundred dollars since I'm turning most of the large raised bed into a perennial garden at the expense of fewer tomato plants, replacing and renewing the three raised beds out front that already have perennials in them and having created yet another area out in the back yard that I can see from here where I'm on the computer.

Yeah, yeah, I say I do this and that but someone else will do all that. I do the ordering, money spending, planning and directing.

I last dealt with Bluestone in the early 80's when I created the many perennial gardens at the old farmhouse area and they are a top notch company with up to date cultivars, excellent prices and wonderfully packed small perennial plants.

Sure, it will take a year or so for stuff to fill in, but that's the fun of creating new areas. And then there's the continual digging up and moving around of stuff until one reaches the most pleasing color combinations.

I lean heavily toward fragrant perennials, and heirloom Dianthuses are my absolute favorites. I was one of the 7 charter members of the American Dianthus Society way back when, as well as a member of the rose, daylily and mum organizations as well.

And I haven't even started ordering the roses yet.

My maternal grandparents owned the largest nursery in the Albany/Troy/ Schenectady area for years and I worked there summers for many years as well as prowling thru the greenhouses all year long, so have been up close and personal with both annuals and perennials since I was in HS . And I've bred both daylilies and miniature roses.
Old February 1, 2007   #7
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

So I expect my Yearbook from the mid to late February here in Eastern Europe

Rena, thanks again

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2007   #8
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I will be stalking the mailman
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2007   #9
travis
Tomatovillian™

Mine arrived today ... but looks kinda like a large dog caught the mailman and gnawed a hole in his pouch!

Oh well ... most of the damage is to one corner and the back cover.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2007   #10
bcday
Tomatovillian™

No Yearbook yet. That mailman better watch out.

I missed the deadline for the Bluestone discount? -- oops -- maybe I'll plant tomatoes where the perennials were going to go.
Old February 1, 2007   #11
Diviya
Tomatovillian™

I have a postcard from Bluestone that says I can get 20% off until midnight Feb 21st? Would it be unethical to share the code ?

Diviya
Diviya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2007   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diviya
I have a postcard from Bluestone that says I can get 20% off until midnight Feb 21st? Would it be unethical to share the code ?

Diviya
Probably, since the discount code is printed on the top right inside the 2nd page of the catalog you received and that ties in with the name on your catalog.

I hadn't ordered from them in years and yet when I called they still had my name on record as in my NEW home address, and it was to my NEW home address that both the catalog and separate post card were sent.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

I mean if bc wanted to try it, she could, but bc, you get jailed for fraud you know that I can't drive to visit you, especially with what I went through this past Tuesday trying to get to my surgeon's appt so I could get the surgery date for the new right hip set. I mean problems with frozen car doors after someone got my car out of my garage for me several days before said appt and had left the blower motor fan on high as well as the heater on high and so then the motor wouldn't turn over in the 5 F temp and I had to wheel my walker all the way to the road and try and flag someone down for help, and they passed me by, and........Adam from the garage finally came sfter I called and all was well, and on the way home I stopped and got a brand new battery, and, and, I'd had it.

Almost as bad as the day around Xmas when my walker and I got caught in a sticky mouse trap in the garage and I thought I was going to be in there forever and started thinking about my overall impending mortality.

So bc, if you do get jailed, make it close by me so I can drive to see you, with my new car battery, and bring you some nice dark bittersweet chocolate to munch on.
Old February 2, 2007   #13
bcday
Tomatovillian™

No need to drive anywhere with the chocolate, Carolyn, you can just put it in the mail to my home address. I have one of those postcards from Bluestone too...I just hafta find it...I think it's in with all these packets of tomato seed somewhere...

See if you can turn the car heater and blower motor off even when the car isn't running. If mine are left on the high setting, I can turn them both off before I start the car. Actually I don't see why it would matter for the temperature setting, but it does help to have the blower off.

Carolyn, you need a little cell phone to wear so you can call 911 when you are stuck in driveways and mouse traps and such!
Old February 2, 2007   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

See if you can turn the car heater and blower motor off even when the car isn't running.

Sure I can but since I never leave on anything like that in the car I never checked before trying to start the car. Any lights or whatever left on are turned off automatically. I drive a Camry, it's my third, and I love 'em.

I have a small cell phone but am blocked from calling out where I live b/c of the geography and the direction of the nearest cell phone towers. I wear my Lifeline wristband ALL the time and when the system was first put in here right after my Fall in 2004 a signal could activate the system if I were in the vicinity of the garage, which is on the other side of the brook from my home ( there's a bridge ya know, I don't swim the brook to get out, , actually a lovely bridge from the 1800's)and maybe about 120 ft away.

So for a radius of close to ~100 ft from home I could summon emergency help to arrive since if I can't speak into the speaker communicator to say what's wrong, they contact the police/fire folks ASAP.

And my trying to drive out in the winter is a rare, rare event. There's a slight slope up to the garage and the walker has plastic wheels and leg caps which will slip on just thin snow. No problem going up, it's the coming down that's a bear. And it's cold and I can't move fast. So after winter weather arrives and I can't leave the car parked up near the front door, into the garage it goes for the winter season, taken only for a ride now and then by someone else, for battery reasons, etc.

Me send chocolate to you in the mail? I think not my friend for I have my dignity, my scruples, my guidelines, etc., and if I can't deliver it in person, which of course is impossible which is why I suggested it, you aren't gonna get it.
Old February 2, 2007   #15
travis
Tomatovillian™

The 4000 + list of tomato cultivars linked over at this page:
http://www.tomatoville.com/viewtopic.php?t=4006&start=0
is very helpful when trying to quickly scan down and find whether a variety is listed in 2007 Yearbook. Thank you Gary and Carolyn.

But there's another issue ... trying to find the varieties that a particular member has listed. You look in the front of the Yearbook and see that a member has listed say 20 or 30 or 100 tomatoes ... but then you have to tediously look listing by listing, page by page to find out which particular tomatoes that person has listed.

Does anyone think it would be beneficial to start a thread where Tomatoville members who list in SSE Yearbook post up the varieties they listed in the 2007 Yearbook?

For example, Andrey listed 96 tomatoes. Others listed quite a few too. If we had a consolidated list of the varieties listed by Tomatovillians, that might cut down the time searching page by page.

What do you think?

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote