Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 20, 2015   #1
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Default black eggs or frass on the leaves

I am spotting many of these on basil leaves, mint leaves and cucumbers. Did not spot any on Kale or Chard which are right next to the basil/mint
Many of those leaves are eaten. The black stuff also shows up on nice uneaten leaves. The leaves being eaten and black dots on the leaves started happening around the same time, which leads me to believe that the leaf eaters are leaving those black things behind. Are those eggs or frass? Who is the culprit? How would I find it and treat it?

Thanks
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Possible early sign of a hornworm(brown and/or green),when small they will go to back to medium during the day or hide underneath leaf when larger.Flood the medium and sometimes they will emerge.They can devastate a whole plant top growing cluster overnite.They will hide and camouflage during the day.The green ones mimic color and leaf structure.Ground saturation of pesticide should stop life cycle.
Old June 21, 2015   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Look above the frass very carefully-you will find most likely a hornworm. They are difficult to spot, since they blend in to the foliage. There will probably be more than one.
Old June 22, 2015   #4
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

I find coming out at night with a small, strong flashlight really helps to focus your search.
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #5
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Looked for the hornworm with a flashlight at night. Did not see any worm. Also have not noticed frass on the leaves in last couple of days. So I suppose its now cocooned up behind some leaf or in the grow media.
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote