Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 20, 2015   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Ugh. Killed a bug

I found a bug on my balcony and it looked a lot like Cereal leaf Beetle. Really proud of myself, as I managed to crush it - although it took some force, the thing was more than willing to fight for its life! Yuck..

Hopefully it will be the last such creature on my balcony garden... A similar one appeared at my parents' home on the other side of the town, and I killed it off too. No remorse there, I don't want any bugs lay their eggs on our radishes / carrots / salad and pepper leaves...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #2
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, before I started growing stuff I would never kill a bug with my bare hand unless it was a mosquito. But sometimes it's instinctual now - I don't want to let it go so it can eat my leaves. Tomato hornworms and Japanese beetles really gross me out, though. Nothing happens to those with bare hands!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Good for you! Be brave! Remember it cant' it you. Your the bigger predator. : )

I had to google your pest as I hadn't heard of it before. Yuck. I sure hope you don't find more of them. Looks like they can be very destructive creatures.

Sad thing is usually if there is one, there are more hiding somewhere as most bugs don't lay just one egg. You hope that you can find them before they get destructive or if you miss one than a beneficial will do its job for you.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #4
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I am learning.. hehe. Somehow these flying monsters find their way to my balcony... I saw another scary thing on my neighbors' side today.
Not completely sure about the species, but it sure did look a lot like that ... because of gardening I have come across so many insects that I didn't even know they existed.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote