Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 18, 2015   #1
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Diagnosis: Yellow spots with dark specks?

This started with yellow spots, which are showing on Spudakee, Earl's Faux, Green Giant, and Brandy Boy in my greenhouse. Now some have dark specks in the middle. There are also dark specks on the backside of the leaves. Can someone help with a diagnosis, and hopefully a remedy?

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1348-001.JPG (183.8 KB, 133 views)
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Most likely the early stages of a fungal infection. As to which pathogen who knows, many can have the same appearance early on. What are common pathogens in greenhouses in Norway? What fungicidal remedies are available in Norway?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #3
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Most likely the early stages of a fungal infection. As to which pathogen who knows, many can have the same appearance early on. What are common pathogens in greenhouses in Norway? What fungicidal remedies are available in Norway?
I'm not sure what pathogens are common here. I have a small private greenhouse, and this is my first year with it. I imagine they're the same as in the states. There are NO fungicides available to hobby gardeners in Norway.
Old June 18, 2015   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
There are NO fungicides available to hobby gardeners in Norway.
I looked and could not find chlorothalonil available for sale anywhere in Norway. It's outright banned in Sweden.

The photos you posted are at such an extremely early stage, it's hard to know what the issue is. I don't start worrying until entire leaves are yellowed with brown rings.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #5
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Agree with Ray.. Possibly early stages of septoria or another foliar disease.. I'd get my hands on (at the very least) a copper based spray.. In the mean time, take care in removing all the leaves displaying those symptoms.. Be careful not to touch any healthy leaves in the process, and wash your hands well before returning to the garden..

Last edited by Mike723; June 18, 2015 at 08:39 PM.
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #6
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Some around here state they use diluted bleach for certain fungal infections, seems like a home brewed concoction is your best bet.
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #7
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Make sure you have plenty of air circulation to keep the air moving between the leaves. Unless it's a lot of leaves, you might want to remove the spotted ones and get rid of them, don't compost them.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #8
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Adding to what others have suggested - also try to keep the leaves try when watering.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #9
beeman
Tomatovillian™

You could try a milk spray. Use any milk at 10-1 ratio, spray both sides of the affected leaves, ans spray around to run off.
Cured some fungal stuff on the cucumbers in my greenhouse.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=Milk+spray
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #10
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to try hydrogen peroxide. I received information from an ongoing thread here: "Diluted bleach as spray". (I would probably have tried bleach, but the bleach here has a small amount of caustic soda, sodium hydroxide, added.)

Steve
Old June 20, 2015   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

A picture from a bit farther away would be good. Are only the lower leaves affected, preferably the ones towards the light?
Because it looks a lot like plain old magnesium deficiency.
Here is a typical case on one of my leaves:
SAM_6999.jpg
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #12
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Hi zipcode. That's exactly what they look like(!), which is a little strange because I added a tablespoon of epsom salts to the planting hole. And yes, they are the lower leaves getting the most light. I guess they need more epsom salt. Many thanks for the advice.

Steve

Last edited by sjamesNorway; June 21, 2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old June 20, 2015   #13
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Hi zipcode. That's exactly what they look like(!), which is a little strange because I added a tablespoon of epsom salts to the planting hole. And yes, they are the lower leaves getting the most light. I guess they need more. Many thanks for the advice.

Steve
If it is Mg deficiency that can happen if you overdose on Potassium. OD on Potassium locks out Mg causing Mg deficiency.

Fungus and some nutrient deficiencies and some poisons look very similar. If only the plants would tell us for sure.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #14
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroExplorer View Post
If it is Mg deficiency that can happen if you overdose on Potassium. OD on Potassium locks out Mg causing Mg deficiency.

Fungus and some nutrient deficiencies and some poisons look very similar. If only the plants would tell us for sure.
My container mix scored "high" on potassium on a home soil test. (There were lots of banana peels in the compost added to the mix.) So there probably is an overdose of potassium. Is there anything I can do about this? Will adding epsom salts help?
Old June 21, 2015   #15
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

It will help some, best is some foliar, this way you bypass the roots. Look online for how much MgSO4 concentration to use for foliar.
The affected leaves will not recover, but should slow down the rate with which it appears on other leaves.
I have it every year in containers, it's kind of unavoidable it seems, I just gradually cut older leaves which are too affected.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote