Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2015   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default The San Marzano Report.

The San Marzano Report.
No this isn't some new news program on TV, it is a report and my findings on the San Marzano tomatoes I am growing.
The plants are healthy and putting on more than the average tomato would this time of year.
Due to the heavy rain the first ones I picked were hollow, mealy and horrible.
Today I had one ripen on the counter that was pretty good.
The plants seen to keep putting out fruit as the summer progresses.
when the plants first started blooming the blossoms fell of during the cooler than average weather.
Then as the temps warmed up they started setting fruit.
In my opinion this tomato variety would do well in this climate if we hadn't of had so much rain.
It is also much better than the so called Roma tomato you get from the store.
It has done better than any other paste type tomato I have grown.
My only problem is here I have to pick them at the very first sign of blush or some unknown critter will eat it.(Possum)?
It must be an Italian possum.
The taste was on the tangy/tart/acidic side and a sprinkle of salt really brought out the flavor.
On a side note.
I always test my tomatoes in the morning and it will be the first thing I eat.
I think it likes the Texas weather and will try it again next year.
Heck I might even plant a seed or two in the garden just to see what happens this year.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I grew them last year and the year was COLD weather for the entire summer so mine didn't ripen. They are a 90 day tomato as long as it is hot. Mine were hollow too. At the end of the Summer (after the first frost) I picked BUSHELS of green ones and tossed them in the compost. I grew 9 plants and had they ripened I would have been able to supply all of you paste tomatoes for the season. I was impressed at how many tomatoes there were to pick.
Old June 15, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I grew them last year and the year was COLD weather for the entire summer so mine didn't ripen. They are a 90 day tomato as long as it is hot. Mine were hollow too. At the end of the Summer (after the first frost) I picked BUSHELS of green ones and tossed them in the compost. I grew 9 plants and had they ripened I would have been able to supply all of you paste tomatoes for the season. I was impressed at how many tomatoes there were to pick.

I think my hotter drier Texas weather is more suited for them as it is more like where they originated from.

Worth
Old June 15, 2015   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I agree, but i put some in again. I would like to get some in my high tunnel, too.
Old June 15, 2015   #5
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

I am currently growing San Marzano, Super San Marzano and San Marzano Bush (or nano as some call it)
I have similar experience here this year but last year was a different story. They survived the heat of summer but production went to zero and then started to pick back up in September. I dont have enough time in Texas to offer any real experience but I would say the typical heat of summer does not work well for the typical SM. I will expand next year to include two more, one called Rio Grand and another unknown variety my Uncle Nino sent me from Positano Italy, which is very near San Marzano region. It does not get nearly as hot there as it does here, but Im willing to see what happens. The Rio Grand, as I was told is more a heat tolerant plant. I also have more shade to offer the plants going forward where they will get morning sun and my new built pergola will partly shade them after about 2PM.
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #6
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Worth - growing them for the first time this year and they are tremendously productive. So far, I've made a batch of pasta sauce of them. I think more of that and salsa are coming up soon. One plant has got loads of green ones on them now, so much I haven't counted and another has been filling up bowls full. ALL of my early tomatoes were mealy and tasteless, but, the ones now are tasting fabulous! I hope they are as good in sauce as the whole ones you buy in the can because that is what we normally use to make pizza sauce and pasta sauce. Fresh would be much better in my mind.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneNY View Post
I am currently growing San Marzano, Super San Marzano and San Marzano Bush (or nano as some call it)
I have similar experience here this year but last year was a different story. They survived the heat of summer but production went to zero and then started to pick back up in September. I dont have enough time in Texas to offer any real experience but I would say the typical heat of summer does not work well for the typical SM. I will expand next year to include two more, one called Rio Grand and another unknown variety my Uncle Nino sent me from Positano Italy, which is very near San Marzano region. It does not get nearly as hot there as it does here, but Im willing to see what happens. The Rio Grand, as I was told is more a heat tolerant plant. I also have more shade to offer the plants going forward where they will get morning sun and my new built pergola will partly shade them after about 2PM.
It may not get as hot there as it does here but I live around 228 mils farther south and the weather is a wee bit different.
As far as the so called heat tolerant tomatoes I havent found any that did much for me.
The San Marzanos are setting fruit when I know others I have tried wouldn't have.
Any blossom drop I have had is due to heavy rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Worth - growing them for the first time this year and they are tremendously productive. So far, I've made a batch of pasta sauce of them. I think more of that and salsa are coming up soon. One plant has got loads of green ones on them now, so much I haven't counted and another has been filling up bowls full. ALL of my early tomatoes were mealy and tasteless, but, the ones now are tasting fabulous! I hope they are as good in sauce as the whole ones you buy in the can because that is what we normally use to make pizza sauce and pasta sauce. Fresh would be much better in my mind.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater I am so glad you tried them this year as I have been trying to get people from across the land to try them.

This is my first year with them too and am very happy with the flavor.
I also started to buy San Marzano tomatoes in the can.
That is when I started to like canned tomatoes.

Worth
Old June 16, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here are three San Marzano plants in the back row.
Not bad for all of the rain we have had and no preventive maintenance to speak of.
Worth
IMG_20150616_46969.jpg
Old June 16, 2015   #9
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

My error.
It is the Super San Marzano that failed in the heat. BIG SM style fruit and very good gravy tomato but not a hearty plant. It did not survive at all last year. The San Marzano and San Marzano Bush (nano) have done fairly well for me this year and last. They slow down but still set fruit for me up to high 90's but at 99 to 100 its done with that. In the fall they set again last year but first frost killed about 2 dozen green tomatos. Nice plants Worth.
Anyone try Porter?
Old June 16, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It's a little dark due to the storm coming in ut here is a nice truss of San Marzano forming.
They all set in 80 plus humid weather.
Worth
IMG_20150616_19891.jpg
Old June 16, 2015   #11
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I'm impressed. I've never ever had luck with San Marzano tomatoes. I think our summers are too short, too humid and just not the right soil which is mor on the clay side. My experience is it is a finicky tomato, so I really admire anyone who grows them with success!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #12
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Sharon the san marzano needs a long hot Summer. It is at least a 90day tomato. I can believe it doesn't do well for you. I have tried them and it was an utter failure. I have them in again...
Old June 17, 2015   #13
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

I've grown them the last 2 years. Harvested large amounts of fruit in spite of the blight. They do fine here in NY, zone 5.
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #14
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriehelene View Post
I've grown them the last 2 years. Harvested large amounts of fruit in spite of the blight. They do fine here in NY, zone 5.
In our zone the key is to get them going and ready once the weather hits. I have not had any problems growing any tomatoes. Well i have had problems, but will produce, if I get lucky. If they don't, it's my fault. Even in zone 5 right now, we have over 90 days left in the season. Sept 17 it is still frost free. It may even be 90F out!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #15
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriehelene View Post
I grew them in Queens for 20 years. I miss the ease of growing in that superior soil.