Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old June 12, 2015   #1
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone tried H2O2 solutions for seed sprouting?

I am having some germination problems with some old seeds (some probably 5 yrs old). I thought maybe I was doing something wrong but I wanted to avoid using the paper towel method because I don't want to damage the root systems when transplanting my plants.

While researching what I might be doing wrong I stumbled on some youtube videos on seed sprouting. One company makes a seed soak product that effervesces O2 and encouarges sprouting. That got me looking into H2O2 because that's one of the properties of H2O2.

Well it turns out there are a lot of people doing various forms of H2O2 soaking with varying levels of success. A lot of these people claim that there's no such thing as bad seeds. One thing that seems to be consistent is that all people having success are dilluting the H2O2 to < 3% concentration.

The most compelling information I've found on this can be found here.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/25455-...soaking/page-2

I'm going to be buying some spectricide on my way home from work.

I also found this page which is probably useful for resolving other garden problems.
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.c...-peroxide.html

I haven't tested any of this yet but I intend to test it thoroughly. I typically prefer to grow things from cutting rather than seed but I think it makes a lot of sense to grow some things from seed.

Anyway, I wanted to pass this along in case it is helpful to others.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It shouldn't be hard to sprout 5 year old seeds I dont consider them old.
A pinch of MG in the soaking water is all you need.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2015   #3
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Don't you get nutrient burn on your new seedlings? I've seen phosophorus burn on seedings just by using aquarium water to water them so I can't imagine not getting nutrient burn with MG.
Old June 12, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroExplorer View Post
Don't you get nutrient burn on your new seedlings? I've seen phosophorus burn on seedings just by using aquarium water to water them so I can't imagine not getting nutrient burn with MG.
No you just put a pinch in the water you soak the seeds in.
maybe like a 1/16 teaspoon in 2 cups of water.
Just a pinch.
Let the seeds soak till they sink maybe 24 hours or so and then put them in your sprouting mix.

Worth
Old June 12, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that 5 yo seeds are not old.

Some folksdo use a bleach ( clorox) soak after the seeds have been processed, and some do use hydrogen peroxide as well, but that's just to disinfect the outer seed coat AFTER the seeds have been processed. And yes,some do say that H2O2 does help with germination, but surely not with just 5 yo seed.

I never did that and after growing 4,000 plus varieties I never will and I've posted the following any times here at Tville but allow me to doit again.

And seeds less than 5 yo I just sow normally and there should be no problem if the seed starting mix is a good one, the temps are correct and no domes are used.

Between 5 and about 10 years I just double sow to get the number of seedlings needed.

Above maybe 5-10 yo I do treat the seeds.

Soak them in water, I used to use maybe a cup of water, to which a pinch of blue stuff is added, that means Peters or Miracle Grow, or if organic a few drops of concentrated fish or seaweed emulsion.

Soak the seeds for at least 24 hours, stirring from time to time since older seeds are dehydrated and need the time to rehydrate.

Then sow the seeds and use the same, you can make up new if you want to of the blue stuff or organic stuff and water when needed.

For really old seeds it may take a month or more to get germination and sometimes you don't get any germination. Seeds of heart varieties lose viability quicker that non heart varieties.

My best save was waking up seeds of September Dawn that were 22 yo but the record is waking up seed that was 50 yo and that occurred when the precursor to the federal seed stations were set up, aka USDA stations, when seeds from Cheyenne, WY were sent to the new USDA one Ames IA and germination tests were done there. The seeds in cheyenne were stored just in filing cabinets at ambient temps.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old June 12, 2015   #6
maf
Tomatovillian™

A paper on the use of H2O2 on older seeds, the main part of the study is on corn but also the results are replicated with tomato seeds. The optimum solution was found to be 0.15%:
Increased Oxygen Bioavailability Improved Vigor and germination of Aged Vegetable Seeds

I have tried it a few times and not enough data/control to definitively say it helps, but anecdotally I would say it does.

For example, some pepper seeds from a cross I found were proving hard to germinate with very low success rates for a few folk I sent seeds to. I tried some myself, first batch (without H2O2) 4% germination; second batch (with 24 hour soak in H2O2) 15% germination. Also got over 60% germ on some F1 corn seed that was 3 years past the sow by date (probably at least 5 years old).

Unfortunately it does not resurrect dead seeds; I know because I have tried!
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2015   #7
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

I think I might have just stored them badly. When I say they are 5 years old I'm saying I think I opened them 5 years ago. I could be mistaken because I don't track things like that even though I should.

Maybe I just need to wait longer.
Old June 12, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Unless you stored them in the oven and turned it on I doubt it have much effect.
Some of mine were kept out in a hot shed for a few years and they sprouted fine.

Worth
Old June 12, 2015   #9
maf
Tomatovillian™

Also, it depends on the quality of the seeds in the first place. Poor quality seeds will often germinate fine when fresh but shelf life is dramatically reduced.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #10
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

I decided to test this on Friday. Saturday morning I had a bunch of sprouted radishes and kale.

I got a tip from someone about using:
1 teaspoon of Potassium Nitrate (spectricide stump remover)
2 tablespoons Hydrogen Peroxide
1 liter of water (I used distilled water)

I've never had seeds sprout in < 12 hours before. This definitely works. I logged the test here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM3qZDKnKEA

I didn't do it scientifically. I didn't have a control. I just threw the seeds in solution that night and they were sprouted in the morning. I wasn't expecting anything to be sprouted so I actually wasn't ready for that. It made for an interesting morning.

So anyway, I'm going to do all of my seeds that way from now on and I'm going to make sure I have my beds ready to receive them too.