Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 9, 2015   #1
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Default How does your Earthbox yield compare

How does your Earthbox yield compare to either your raised bed or in ground bed? I know all the pluses for an Earthbox, especially for someone without room to plant a garden in ground, and helping get water frequency right.

But for those who can do both, I would like to know how your yield compares to your growing in the ground or in a raised bed. People who have not tried both methods with similar plants really only have opinions of the camparison, not actual experience, so it is always better to hear from those who have been there, done that, so to speak.

I believe an Earthbox, though excellent, can prove quite challenging for those located in the hot, hot desert like Phoenix and Las Vegas, where a certain protection from the intense sun can be better served in ground. Where as I think that someone living in a cold climate might benefit from the soil media warming sooner in a container.

So, I think there are some variables, depending on where you live. But for those who have both going at the same time, can you say one works better or worse for you?

Last edited by schill93; June 9, 2015 at 04:54 PM.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I have 43 Earthboxes. I cannot get more than 3-4 fruits when in the ground. We have a horrible infestation of nematodes in S. fla. Tried it the other way, in the ground for years.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

S....I could not agree with your comments/ideas more. I have a raised bed (6 tomato plants)...about 12 containers, and one earthbox. All my plants are growing well. However, comparing unlike varieties in different mediums would not be fair. The only consistent is my Big Beef variety is the best grower (of my 14 varieties)...regardless of what it is planted in. My only complaint about the earthbox is how often it needs to be filled with water. Other than that... I see some advantages (which you pointed out). I think my favorite method is going to turn out to be my raised bed. I hope to add another next winter. Of course, my fear of the raised bed is that I ever get a soil-borne disease.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #4
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I have only one Eathbox and I use it to grow peppers and/or eggplants only. Tomatoes and cukes do better for me in-ground, but peppers and eggplants do better in containers for me. I not only use the fert strip down the middle, I use liquid ferts in the water and they are so prolific, I couldn't be happier.
I did a test last year growing Padron peppers both in ground and in the EB. There was no comparison.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

When I did my test the first year it was same 6 varieties in the ground and in the EB. No contest, the EB ones produced and grew about tripple. You take away systemic borne soil diseases, nematodes, give them every nutrient and a constant level of water, always present, and they are going to grow and grow.
Old June 10, 2015   #6
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

EBs work well for one plant. What I like about Raybo's earthtainers is that you can grow 2 plants side by side. This year, my earthtainers have crushed it and produced a bounty of fruit as big as 1.2 pounds and I don't grow for size. That one was a fused brandywine sudduth strain.

Containers have several possible advantages and for me, none more so than that I can move them. I start them in place they get the most possible sunlight, the grow medium warms much more quickly than soil and they start to produce at least 2 weeks earlier than in the ground and this year, more like a month earlier. Then, when it is hot, which was like throwing on a switch for us this year cool spring through May, blast furnace begins in June, then I move them to a spot where they get shade from about 3 p.m. on and they survive much better after that. Obviously, if you have soil that has diseases and/or pests then containers also are a great option.

On the downside, if you do not/cannot move them or otherwise protect them from summer heat, they will heat up to an extent that they inhibit nutrient uptake and BER will be a major issue, as will plant viability. Good luck.

I like the in ground option as well because it produces later, I get a longer time period of a flush of tomatoes between the different places I grow them. Also, in general my in ground tomatoes tend to be larger both in terms of plant size and fruit size.

As for pure numbers, the containers have always produced a larger number of fruit for me. I'm trying a different method this year with limiting the number of stems and so far, that has not really affected yield so far, but, I'm hopeful will increase the length of time that they yield. We shall see.

Dewayne Mater

Last edited by Dewayne mater; June 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Add info
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #7
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
EBs work well for one plant. What I like about Raybo's earthtainers is that you can grow 2 plants side by side. This year, my earthtainers have crushed it and produced a bounty of fruit as big as 1.2 pounds and I don't grow for size. That one was a fused brandywine sudduth strain.

Containers have several possible advantages and for me, none more so than that I can move them. I start them in place they get the most possible sunlight, the grow medium warms much more quickly than soil and they start to produce at least 2 weeks earlier than in the ground and this year, more like a month earlier. Then, when it is hot, which was like throwing on a switch for us this year cool spring through May, blast furnace begins in June, then I move them to a spot where they get shade from about 3 p.m. on and they survive much better after that. Obviously, if you have soil that has diseases and/or pests then containers also are a great option.

On the downside, if you do not/cannot move them or otherwise protect them from summer heat, they will heat up to an extent that they inhibit nutrient uptake and BER will be a major issue, as will plant viability. Good luck.

I like the in ground option as well because it produces later, I get a longer time period of a flush of tomatoes between the different places I grow them. Also, in general my in ground tomatoes tend to be larger both in terms of plant size and fruit size.

As for pure numbers, the containers have always produced a larger number of fruit for me. I'm trying a different method this year with limiting the number of stems and so far, that has not really affected yield so far, but, I'm hopeful will increase the length of time that they yield. We shall see.

Dewayne Mater
Would love to be able to move mine when the heat hits. But unless I want to run out and buy a fork lift, it's not going to happen.

Interesting that you say the Earthbox is only suitable for one. I tend to agree with you when you are talking about Intermediate tomatoes. Unfortunately, not many over at the EB forum tend to agree with me.
Old June 10, 2015   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I always grow 2 tomato plants in a single EB. Great results, better every year as I learn.
Old June 11, 2015   #9
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I always grow 2 tomato plants in a single EB. Great results, better every year as I learn.

Ginger. Are they intermediates? I think I will just do a test next year, and plant two in one EB, and a single one in the other. The school of thought is that even two plants with lesser yield is bound to be better than one with better yield. I think it is the size of the tomato that might be in question with less available real estate below. You know.
Size matters. (just couldn't resist)
Old June 11, 2015   #10
squirrel789
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by schill93 View Post
Would love to be able to move mine when the heat hits. But unless I want to run out and buy a fork lift, it's not going to happen.
I have to admit, I don't have experience with manufactured Earthboxes or Raybo's Earthtainers, but I experimented with castors on my large container gardens (galvanized water tanks), and simply some mounted heavy duty castors on the bottom. I love being able to move them as needed. Many commercial Earthbox products offer them as an option, or perhaps they are standard on many designs.

Castors can also be mounted to a square/rectangle of 2x4's and then sort of wedged under your heavy EB's/Earthtainers, (like an open furniture dolly). You can also buy plastic or metal options that will last longer. I have a larger galvanized pot - not the water tanks - that was heavy and a pain to move when wet, and now I keep it on a simple furniture dolly and it moves fine and doesn't impede drainage, you just gotta push from the bottom .

If growing on a deck, patio, or other hard surface, it gives you a lot of control over how much sun/shade the containers receive. I love my containers on castors, but I'm growing on a patio, so it makes sense for me.

But, what works for one surely won't work for all.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, and I am certainly no expert on these sorts of containers, but I hope that might help. I know I learn from how other people setup their gardens every time I'm here on TV.
squirrel789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by schill93 View Post
Ginger. Are they intermediates? I think I will just do a test next year, and plant two in one EB, and a single one in the other. The school of thought is that even two plants with lesser yield is bound to be better than one with better yield. I think it is the size of the tomato that might be in question with less available real estate below. You know.
Size matters. (just couldn't resist)
Schill, do you mean indeterminates? Yes most are. I am too far south to grow really large fruits, but I have gotten them to 1.5 lbs as is, growing 2 indy plants in 1 EB. And I have gotten as many as 48 fruits from one plant, but those being inthe 3-10 oz ranges. Usually I get several fruits around the 1lb range every season.
Old June 11, 2015   #12
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

For me, one indeterminate plant is all that will fit in an earth box if you allow them to grow to full size, at least in my garden. If you prune to one or two stems, then 2 plants would work. I do find that compared to an earthtainer, the earthbox's limited grow medium seems to limit the size of the plants by a good bit. I would estimate there to be about 4 times as much grow medium in an earthtainer.

As is typical for me, my earthtainer plants are already growing out of the tops of their cages - about 6 feet about the soil line (which is already 2 feet high), whereas my earthbox plants are a foot or two shorter. Results may vary, but that's what I see and that's why I have more earthtainers. I do like the wheeled aspect of the earthbox though.

As for numbers of fruit from an indy, I get more out of my earthtainers, which is why I've only been growing cherry types in my earthboxes.

Finally, as compared to in ground tomatoes, neither container will produce fruit as large in my garden. They containers both produce bigger numbers and the fruit are plenty big to be within the normal size range for that variety, but, those grown in the ground typically produce my largest tomatoes of the season.

Dewayne
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #13
franknmiss
Tomatovillian™

Location: Columbus, MS Living on the Edge ( Of Zone 7b/8a that is..)

I am Growing in three Earthboxes as well as my usual raised beds this year.
There are two indeterminates in each Earthbox.
I have duplicated most of the plants in the Earthboxes in the raised beds.
52 days since planting the Earthboxes, I am seeing the same result as Dewayne;
about 3 times as many fruits in the Earthboxes as in the raised beds, but the fruits in the raised beds are much larger.
The George's tomato in the photo is huge compared to the golf ball sized fruits on the EB plant - all planted out the same day.
The Earthbox plants are growing taller as well. The George's plant near the camera from Tracey is now over 8 feet tall, about 2 feet taller than the same plant in the raised bed.
This was unexpected, due to the fertilizer in the EB - I expected the fruits to be larger there as well.
Another positive - the EB plants are showing much less disease to deal with.
Taste difference? Don't know yet!
Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB 6-10-15.JPG (124.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Georges 6-10-15.JPG (136.8 KB, 170 views)
franknmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #14
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknmiss View Post
I am Growing in three Earthboxes as well as my usual raised beds this year.
There are two indeterminates in each Earthbox.
I have duplicated most of the plants in the Earthboxes in the raised beds.
52 days since planting the Earthboxes, I am seeing the same result as Dewayne;
about 3 times as many fruits in the Earthboxes as in the raised beds, but the fruits in the raised beds are much larger.
The George's tomato in the photo is huge compared to the golf ball sized fruits on the EB plant - all planted out the same day.
The Earthbox plants are growing taller as well. The George's plant near the camera from Tracey is now over 8 feet tall, about 2 feet taller than the same plant in the raised bed.
This was unexpected, due to the fertilizer in the EB - I expected the fruits to be larger there as well.
Another positive - the EB plants are showing much less disease to deal with.
Taste difference? Don't know yet!
Frank
Well done! Plants look fantastic.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #15
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Ginger, yes I meant indeterminates. Either I had a brain freeze or my spell check did it's own interpretation. That's good to know about size. I want to be able to get larger fruit. I think the rich soil composition one can create in a raised bed compared to an Earthbox or Earthtainer is probably a factor in size as well. Your in my old neck of the woods by the way. I was about an hour plus north of you before moving out West.

squirrel. I agree having casters on a box would really be ideal for a patio, and I would love that. Alas my garden is on the side of my house in rough terrain, so no can do.

Dewayne. I believe the Earthbox is a total of 20 gallons, and three/four gallons of that is for water reservoir. The Earthtainer has 34 gallons, and approx. 7 gallons for water. So that's 16/17 gal of media vs. 27 gal media for the Earthtainer. Interesting what that extra 10 gal. of growing media does. I would love to have some Earthtainers as well, but the construction is what stops me. I am a 74 yr. old female, and although I can wield some power tools like a drill and a skill saw, I don't have a lot of confidence in my carpentry skills. But I may still tackle it, if it is really worthwhile. I really like the idea of the larger water reservoir. Especially for here in the desert.

franknmiss. Your plants do look great. So you are saying that you can only get small golf size fruit from your Earthboxes? The tomato in the photo is in your bed, yes?
I see some orange down the row, which may be some Home Depot buckets as well. Looks like you may be trying all avenues.

Was hoping to be able to get some decent size fruit from a container. My back yard is of limited size and is a focal point, so I am hesitant in making a raised bed in the back yard. (and it's so pretty right now ) However, I purchased a 4 x 8 raised bed kit, and can probably squeeze it into the side yard area that is out of sight, (but has limited sun), and see how it goes.

Last edited by schill93; June 11, 2015 at 11:20 PM.