Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 9, 2015   #1
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Default Will these bean plants live and prosper?

Or am I deluding myself and should get on with planting new ones?

I had started a post about something eating bean leaves and I had seen a few small cockroach like insects on the beans, I killed them all, did not see them again on the beans, but the beans kept being eaten. Today early morning, I saw these slimy (slugs, right?) bugs munching on the leaves. I found about 7 of these and killed them. That seems like a very small number to have caused all this damage.

On many bean plants, in addition to eating the cotyledons, it seems that they have eaten the main stem too

More than half the bean plants are like this. Do those plants have any hopes of growing into a vigorous bean plant assuming I take care of the slugs? Or should I plant new bean seeds right now?

Also how do I eliminate slugs?
I plan to put DE powder around the stems tonight. I will have to reapply after rain and watering.
Beer trap is other option
grapefruit trap is another option

Going out at night and find them with a flashlight is also on the table.

What else?
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

The beans will survive!

I have read that dryer lint, wrapped around the stems will deter slugs. I bet that dog/cat fur would work too!

DE works but, as you said, it must be re-applied after rain/watering.

Beer seem to kill them, after attracting all the neighbourhood slugs to your garden. I'd put them far away from your veggie garden if you decide to go that route, but don't use good beer, the watery stuff will do. That said, I had a friend who worked for Molsons who said that Brador worked the best for killing slugs. What a waste of good Brador! Canadians might appreciate that little tidbit . Brador is a strong beer, rather like Guinness.

Good luck!
Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #3
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Even if some of the plant has been eaten, it's still weeks ahead of anything you might plant from seed today.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Those aren't even the true leaves. Whether they are eaten by bugs or not, they usually yellow and fall off fairly soon.

It's that little stem, in the middle between those leaves, that is important. That's what will grow into your plant.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #5
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Tormato, that is what I am worried about. In half of the plants, it seems like the main little stem has no leaves left. Slugs have eaten the small leaves that had sprouted there. Will it sprout new leaves from there?
Old June 11, 2015   #6
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

slugs used to mow off my beans.
not anymore
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7849-sluggo-25-lb.aspx
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #7
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

I have been picking off slugs most every night with a flashlight in my hand. Most of the bean plants survived and are doing well. I noticed that once the bean plants become big enough, slugs are less interested in those than the seedlings. Also for some reason, good mother stallard beans have been eaten so bad, I could not get even one plant out of about 7 seeds. Flamingo is the most vigorous grower and thus least affected by slugs.

I decided that I cannot keep up the nightly slug-picking. So I have gone the sluggo rout. (do not have pets or toddlers) I hope that I don't have to worry about slugs no more.

Thanks for the support
Old June 19, 2015   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I use Sluggo Plus, which is organic. It will get ground dwelling bugs and slugs.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #9
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

If the leader is gone you will get nothing. Go with the sluggo.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #10
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

The speckling on the leaves is what concerns me more than anything.. Grab a magnifying glass and give a close look to the underside.. Looks like possible spider mite damage .. If you see any tiny beige/orange spider looking mites/webs get right on it with a pesticide of your liking..
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #11
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

The leaf with speckling is not from the beans. I don't see any speckling on the bean leaves. Also the beans have very nice/lush green new sets of leaves on more than half of the bean plants. So I think slugs were all that was bothering the beans.

(I just used some leaf from the weeds nearby to show a better picture of the slug)
Old June 19, 2015   #12
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Well that's great news! lol sorry about that
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote