Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 8, 2015   #1
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Default Perilla - any experiences or tips out there?

I majorly failed in trying to grow perilla last year. I thought it was suppose to be like basil, super easy but some how my plants never got very big for those big delicious leaves...
Does anyone plant Perilla? Any tips? I think my seeds are for the red (korean) type...
Old March 9, 2015   #2
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I've never grown the red ones, but around here I see gardens where they self-sow every year so they must be hardy plants. I've grow the green ones every year for the past 3 years and they are finicky, at least for me. Sometimes they grow well, sometimes not. This year I plan on diligently fertilizing them to see it that helps. I love to sprinkle the flower buds on salads and such also.
Maybe I should try the reds as they seem more prolific.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #3
Miss Sphinx
Tomatovillian™

Hi luigiwu,
I have just the opposite problem! My red perilla "escaped" and now pops up little volunteers all over certain parts of the back yard. I will say that my original plant was not in full sun and was growing in light shade followed by afternoon sun.....I don't know if that is much help but that is what it seems to like in my yard anyway. (I grow it in a large clay pot near the kitchen door.)

Lori
Old March 9, 2015   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hello, Grew it from transplants in a pot last summer. Used a peat based potting soil it was in part shade, got lots of water and fertilizer. Really beautiful but not that great tasting to me. Very attractive dark maroon shiny foliage though.
I think it likes a somewhat acidic soil mix and lots of water and nitrogen.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #5
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I'm another for whom it has escaped and pops up all over the yard. I haven't planted any in years, but I always have plenty. Just for zone comparison, basil pops up all over my yard, too; especially the lemon basil.

I have noticed that there are some people who say it has no taste, but to me the smell and taste is sorta sassafras-ish.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #6
peebee
Tomatovillian™

To me the green version has way more taste; that is why it is eaten raw in certain foods in Japan esp. The red is used more for adding color (it bleeds) to pickles and such, at least there. I don't know how they eat the red one in Korea.
Luigiwu, how would you personally use this herb? Is there any reason you are choosing the red? Just curious, thanks.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Sphinx View Post
Hi luigiwu,
I have just the opposite problem! My red perilla "escaped" and now pops up little volunteers all over certain parts of the back yard. I will say that my original plant was not in full sun and was growing in light shade followed by afternoon sun.....I don't know if that is much help but that is what it seems to like in my yard anyway. (I grow it in a large clay pot near the kitchen door.)

Lori
I just ordered some seed, since I love it. I've never grown it but sounds like a mint relative. Hoping to naturalize it near the pond in a wild area.
I don't know if I've had the green kind but the red one is terrific in Vietnamese dishes, especially Pho.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #8
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I planted the red one one year, and spent the next several years trying to eradicate it. I grew it for decorative value, not knowing it had culinary potential. Good luck.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #9
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Evergreen Seeds has 3 Japanese, 2 Korean, and 1 Vietnamese varieties.

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/perjapshis.html

I've had sushi rice seasoned with Perilla seeds that was very tasty. eBay has many listings for perilla seed oil. (antioxidant, antiseptic, omega 3)
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #10
Miss Sphinx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I just ordered some seed, since I love it. I've never grown it but sounds like a mint relative. Hoping to naturalize it near the pond in a wild area.
I don't know if I've had the green kind but the red one is terrific in Vietnamese dishes, especially Pho.
I think you'll have good luck with it (since we live in about the same neck of the woods). I have made a couple different pickle recipes with it (just beautiful) and I like it in Pho too...let us know how it works out...would love to hear.

Lori
Old March 10, 2015   #11
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Damitall, stop giving me more seed sites to browse! i ain't even got all I already got planted yet!

*whimper*
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #12
strax
Tomatovillian™

you will probably have volunteers this year. it grows everywhere and spreads to the most unexpected places... how did it get to the pasture 100ft away?

the red is pretty and is in the basil family, but does not taste like basil. i make tea from the leaves. some people love the tea some hate it.
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #13
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Sorry if I'm reviving an old thread.

I grew the red version shiso (perilla) this year. My aunt grows it in partial shade and the leaves are red on top and bottom. She has very rich soil. As it is very invasive and grows like mint, she advised me to grow in containers. I noticed when fertilizing regularly, the leaves would be reddish purple on top and bottom. But when I didn't fertilize it, it was a purplish green color. Not too attractive and it would flower. You can easily root these by cuttings.

Anyway, for its uses, Asian cultures use it either medicinally in tea or as a vegetable like in Vietnamese cultures. It's great chopped up in salad type Asian dishes.

For the tea, we dry them and steep it for colds, congestion, and flu.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #14
salix
Tomatovillian™

Grows like a weed up here, I planted it for many years but realized that we didn't really use it - so now I use the space for something else, probably tomatoes...
Old September 18, 2015   #15
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

I have seen the red one grown around greenhouses to repel insects, besides being used for its culinary uses (pickling, mainly).
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote