Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 20, 2014   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Holes in 5gal buckets

I've seen in a couple threads mention to drilling holes in the sides of buckets near the bottom instead of in the bottom. Sounds like to leave a small amount of water in the bucket to be wicked up during the day? Is that the reason?

A couple other questions to those that practice this method. 1) What diameter holes do you drill and how many in a 5gal bucket? 2) How far up from the bucket bottom do you drill? and 3) Do you line the holes with anything (e.g. weed cloth, etc.)?

Justin
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2014   #2
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

More for excess water drainage (like after a heavy rain fall) and to get air pruning!
Hope this picture works! Its from Larry Hall's Rain gutter grow system - a subirrigated system.

luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2014   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Normally 1 1/2 inch up from the bottom of the bucket 1/2'' in diameter on each side of the bucket. Yes it is done to create a small reservoir in the bottom of the bucket similar to SWC's.
This way you have a small reserve available to the plant between watering.

Anytime you top water a container you get air pruning whether the drain holes are on the side or bottom which draws oxygen into the root zone as the water percolates down the aggregate. Wick type systems such as the one pictured above or SWC's do not do this.

Ami
Old April 20, 2014   #4
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Luigi, what is light colored material on top of the medium?
Old April 20, 2014   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusnexus View Post
Luigi, what is light colored material on top of the medium?
Sorry, that picture isn't my build, so I don't know.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2014   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

That is one crazy looking setup. Thanks for sharing--I'm just growing a few tomatoes on the deck in addition to what's in the garden, so I think I'll go the with 1/2" holes 1 1/2" up from the bottom.
Old April 21, 2014   #7
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Default Water usage.

Just one observation regarding holes in buckets.
I was lead to believe the more holes the better! It does lead to (I believe) excessive evaporation.
I have installed an 8 bucket "Alaska Grow Buckets" set up and cannot believe the amount of water I'm getting through each day. I'm having to carry water to the green house, still too cold to use a hose, and my arms are getting longer due to the weight I'm carrying.
So, if you have a water problem, don't go with these systems.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2014   #8
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I found if I set it up as a reservoir basket type at the bottom or put 3 to 4 inches of gravel in the bottom then I had to put the drilled holes above the reservoir or the gravel. I went with 3/8" holes spaced about 2" apart around the 5 gallon buckets.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Normally 1 1/2 inch up from the bottom of the bucket 1/2'' in diameter on each side of the bucket. Yes it is done to create a small reservoir in the bottom of the bucket similar to SWC's.
This way you have a small reserve available to the plant between watering.

Anytime you top water a container you get air pruning whether the drain holes are on the side or bottom which draws oxygen into the root zone as the water percolates down the aggregate. Wick type systems such as the one pictured above or SWC's do not do this.

Ami
I drilled my buckets tonight and went with the 0.5" holes 1.5" from the bottom on both sides. My dwarf project tomatoes will call these home on Sunday afternoon.
Old August 26, 2014   #10
Pilgrim
Tomatovillian™

OK, I'm brand new to this forum, so I have no idea what the acronym "SWC" stands for - anyone feeling charitable enough to explain it for me, please?
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2014   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Pilgrim! I believe it stands for self watering container. I don't use them, so I can't tell you anything about them, but if you do a search I'm betting you'll find a lot of info!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #12
Pilgrim
Tomatovillian™

Thank you; no matter where we go, every niche has its own nomenclature, code, or slang. Learning the "language" is half the communication battle?
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2014   #13
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I drilled my buckets tonight and went with the 0.5" holes 1.5" from the bottom on both sides. My dwarf project tomatoes will call these home on Sunday afternoon.
The 0.5" holes 1.5" from the bottom worked great for me. Thanks for the tip!
Old January 24, 2015   #14
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I am trying a trick to avoid water simply running thru the container. I take a 3 qt bottle and fill it with water and invert it on the soil in the container. After a few minutes, you see air bubbles entering the bottle. It works like a water cooler but slower. This way water has a chance to migrate thru the medium rather that flow thru it and out.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2015   #15
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

I made a few of these last year and they work very well for me.

They do need to be watered every other day as the plants mature.

This a Sub-Irrigated Planter(SIP) using the Global Bucket design

The design uses a slitted solo cup packed with Vermiculite for the wick plus the soil recipe has a high vermiculite content. The top is covered to prevent rain from compacting and water-logging the soil. A ring of granular fertilizer(I used TomatoTone) is placed at the top.

Last fall when I pulled a plant out, every crumb of medium came out in a perfect block.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote