Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2013   #1
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default Finnaly have some fruits?

Over 10" of Rain here in June, and last night another 1 1/2". I water the garden 1 time for the 2 last weeks, only have fruits on my 1 plant? 6 days with 90 and night 75. Really crazy.
JD's Special C Tex Plant
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #2
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

I feel your pain. 11 plants, 7 plants have no or just 1 or 2 fruit. Rain, Rain, Rain and then heat. Amazing. Other plants have a maximum of 6 fruit maybe. Disappointed to say the least.
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I got mine out early so they were able to set a fair amount of fruit before the weather started becoming an issue. Since the rain/heat/humidity cycle started, there's been almost no new fruit set for me either. Hopefully the weather stabilizes soon!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #4
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Hopefully a nice group of Jd's, 3 baby's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jd's.jpg (358.3 KB, 15 views)
Old July 9, 2013   #5
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady5 View Post
I feel your pain. 11 plants, 7 plants have no or just 1 or 2 fruit. Rain, Rain, Rain and then heat. Amazing. Other plants have a maximum of 6 fruit maybe. Disappointed to say the least.
I'm a little bit north of you and so I know what you mean by the weather. Fortunately the above 90F days haven't been too many strung in a row, but the night time temps just won't slide down below 75F. My Black Krim has just one tomato on it, although finally about 3-4 flowers have shown signs of being pollinated (fingers crossed). My other plant is a Lemon Boy and it has 5 tomatoes at the moment, while being an incredibly small plant. If it turns out to have good taste I'll definitely grow it next year as it's proving to be quite hearty.

Old July 9, 2013   #6
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

This year is my first yrs growing jd's special c-tex tomato , I hope it is nice, i love all black and love Black Krim also
Old July 9, 2013   #7
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

essex county here and i must have gotten lucky. fruit set has not been an issue this season
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigbeef3.jpg (517.6 KB, 23 views)

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #8
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post
My other plant is a Lemon Boy and it has 5 tomatoes at the moment, while being an incredibly small plant. If it turns out to have good taste I'll definitely grow it next year as it's proving to be quite hearty.

loved lemon boy grown in a container last season. my neighbor grew it 2 years ago as one of his main crop tomatoes and i was addicted. i cant believe i forgot to start seeds for it this season. its def finding a spot in my garden next year

Old July 10, 2013   #9
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightenUp View Post
essex county here and i must have gotten lucky. fruit set has not been an issue this season
O my!!! nice plants and the hay? Is this ocean hay it look like mine i am in Beverly 01915
Old July 10, 2013   #10
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wow, what a difference and only probably being no more than 10 miles from me. I suffered and am still suffering from a lot of blossom drop and an undiagnosed fungal or mold issue. It's a shame, the plants have been producing so many flowers. Same set up, spaced out plants using hay/straw for mulch too. I'm not growing Big Beef though, maybe I should next year.
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013   #11
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

WOW There is an Essex County in New Jersey? I live in Essex County in Mass
Old July 10, 2013   #12
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
O my!!! nice plants and the hay? Is this ocean hay it look like mine i am in Beverly 01915
Thanks FILMNET

i'm using straw as mulch. i bought it from a feed store in south jersey. i'll have to do a search for ocean hay as i've never heard of it

Old July 10, 2013   #13
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

The tomatoes from left to right are Black Master, Amazon Chocolate and David's Pink. Since last year spring came so early, I decided this year to be creasy and planted my toms out on 21 of April. I got lucky, the temps were ok. With the new weather pattern we are getting hit with hurricanes and my tomatoes were still having lots of fruit on them but the season got shortened. I fill the need to start my tomatoes earlier. The first tomato I picked was Omar's Lebanese on June 29.
Attached Images
File Type: png July 2013.png (238.6 KB, 14 views)

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”

Last edited by efisakov; July 10, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013   #14
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady5 View Post
Wow, what a difference and only probably being no more than 10 miles from me. I suffered and am still suffering from a lot of blossom drop and an undiagnosed fungal or mold issue. It's a shame, the plants have been producing so many flowers. Same set up, spaced out plants using hay/straw for mulch too. I'm not growing Big Beef though, maybe I should next year.
what varieties are you growing? none of my plants are suffering from blossom drop here in essex county. my garden down in ocean county however is a different story

up here i have KBX, rutgers, cherokee purple, goose creek and brandy boy along with my big beef plant and some cherries. they're all pretty much loaded up with cherokee purple being the exception

down south i'm trialing some salt resistant tomatoes sent to me by a member here. they're all loaded with tomatoes however my heirlooms and large fruited hybrids like big beef have maybe 1 or 2 tomatoes each and tons of blossom drop. i attribute it to the wet salty air as they basically grow along the edge of the beach and constantly get hit with ocean mist.

after tomorrow it looks as if we'll have some perfect weather. i'm actually hoping for some rain tonight

Old July 10, 2013   #15
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nice setting. Love the straw. I wish they sell it around here.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote