Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 8, 2013   #1
tedln

Default My Grow Lists!

Every year, I compile a list of tomatoes composed of about 30 tomato varieties I plan on growing the following year. That list is comprised of varieties I've grown in the past with good results based on taste primarily, but also productivity and heat tolerance. It also includes varieties which intrigue me because of comments made by other gardeners. The permanent grow list will be grown from seed I have saved from current and past gardens. The future grow list is varieties I will be searching for in the near future. I usually start my seed search in mid to late August by purchasing all I can locate from small vendors in order to support their efforts. A few can't be located at vendors and a trade with another gardener usually acquires those.

The permanent grow list is pretty solid and can only grow. The future grow list is more changeable and some may be eliminated before the two lists are combined into my grow list for next years garden. I only have the thirty or so spots plus a few extras for germination in case a few varieties I plant don't germinate. I also always leave a few spots for varieties I may purchase from a nursery that intrigue me.

These are my lists as they stand currently. Any comments will be appreciated. Comments on varieties you have in your "Permanent Grow List" which are not in mine will also be appreciated.

Ted

Future Grow Tomatoes
Malachite Box GWR
Humph GWR
Carbon Copy
Purple Dog Creek
Aunt Ginny’s Purple
Red Barn
Mule Team
Great Divide
Gregori's Altai
Mortgage Lifter- Estler
Riesentraube Cherry
Dixie Golden Giant
German Johnson-Benton strain
Big Zac

Permanent Grow Tomatoes

Carbon
Hoy
Barlow Jap
Stump Of The World
Pruden’s Purple
Wes
KBX
Orange Minsk
Dester
JD’s Special C Tex
Black Cherry
Giant Belgium
Porters Improved

Last edited by tedln; July 9, 2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old July 8, 2013   #2
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Ted

I know I am partial but I cant imagine a year of not growing the Carbon Copy and the real Carbon also. Like I said I am partial but both are darn good tomatoes.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #3
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I will be surprised if Gregori's Altai doesn't make it onto your Permanent Grow list, or at least onto a "grow as often as possible" list.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #4
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipchip2000 View Post
Ted

I know I am partial but I cant imagine a year of not growing the Carbon Copy and the real Carbon also. Like I said I am partial but both are darn good tomatoes.

ron
Yep! Carbon is one of my two favorite blacks. It holds well on the counter, tastes good, its fairly early, and productive. I had not added it to the permanent list because I was waiting to see how Black From Tula performs this year. I don't want to get overloaded with blacks as I do some years. It is added now after a little editing. I can always delete it or plant it if some other variety proves better from this years garden.

This has not been a fair year for comparisons between black varieties. With the exception of JD's Special C Tex, all of my Blacks including Amazon Chocolate, Indian Strip, Bear Creek, and Black From Tula have produced very small tomatoes in very limited quantities. I also grew Arbuznyi and it performed well, but I haven't been able to classify it as a black yet. It sure looks like one, but I'm not sure. It is probably the most attractive tomato in my garden with it's stripes. I know from past experience Indian Stripe is a very good, large, moderately productive tomato; but not this year.

I had thought about adding Carbon Copy to the future grow list but I was waiting for someone to make a comparison of the two when grown in the same year in the same garden. You can report on your results and let us know which you prefer and why.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; July 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old July 8, 2013   #5
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcday View Post
I will be surprised if Gregori's Altai doesn't make it onto your Permanent Grow list, or at least onto a "grow as often as possible" list.
I germinated seed for it this year but they were all killed by frost or freeze in March. I only had three seed so I will try again next year.

I also lost my Black Cherry plants to frosts and freezes and just accepted the fact that I wouldn't have any Black Cherry tomatoes this year and planted Cherry Roma as a replacement. I was pleasantly surprised when three of the volunteer plants in my compost pile started producing Black Cherry tomatoes from last years garden.

Ted
Old July 8, 2013   #6
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Two on your future list I grew last year and are in the garden this year too.

Mule Team - loaded with toms but none ripe yet, good heat set and good taste.

Dixie Golden Giant - Plant is 5 1/2 ft and there are 2 tomatoes on it just starting to turn. Good taste but the same problem last year, pretty stingy with the tomatoes.

This is the first year for Riesentraube and it's got more tomatoes than you can shake a stick at. Just now getting ripe.

Got a late start because of the cold weather this spring and they weren't set out until May 10.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #7
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Purple Dog Creek has had a place in my garden the past 3 or 4 years, and it seems to be doing quite well this year in spite of our spring weather and associated ramp-up of foliage diseases. For me, it's productive and good tasting. JD's Special C-Tex is also a regular, and if you haven't considered Vorlon you might give it a shot. For me it's early and productive and generally very reliable, and it tasted pretty good too. Nothing ripe for us yet this year, so the jury's still somewhat out on the rest.
Old July 8, 2013   #8
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Ted,
We love a lot of the same tomatoes! You have good taste.
Just an FYI, I grew Riesentraube some years ago, and didn't like it.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #9
tedln

Remy,

I know I am bridging two threads, but I've edited my Future Grow List to include Malachite Box and Humph. Next year I will be able to say if I like GWR tomatoes.

Ted
Old July 9, 2013   #10
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I think you'll fall in love.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote