Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2013   #1
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Default choices, an early tomato

Could some of you seasoned tomato growers recommend an early heirloom variety for me to try.

I am new to growing heirlooms and am growing: German Pink, Cherokee Purple, and Brandy Wine this year. I thought an earlier producer might be nice in the mix.

I must have the bug as I'm already thinking next year
wally mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Does it have to be heirloom? Shadow boxing is my earliest this year.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #3
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

I've never grown it myself, but you could try Earliana. It was introduced in ~1900 and is supposed to be an earlier variety (not as early as others though - I think it's around 65 days). But if you're looking for an early heirloom, as opposed to just something that's open pollenated, you might consider it.

Kathy
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #4
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Stupice, Kimberley, Glacier, Kotlas are great and reliable early varieties.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #5
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Wally .. here is a thread I am watching, (early tomato thread) I also want to pick one or two early tomatoes for next year. (I have early girl this year. Its F1 hybrid and depending on its taste, it may/not stay)

That Fish Lake Oxheart seems interesting.
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #6
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrer View Post
Wally .. here is a thread I am watching, (early tomato thread) I also want to pick one or two early tomatoes for next year. (I have early girl this year. Its F1 hybrid and depending on its taste, it may/not stay)

That Fish Lake Oxheart seems interesting.
I am growing Fish Lake Oxheart this year, and so far no, it does not look too early in my garden. Tsar-Kolokol and Larisa tomatoes (that are also hearts) already have large green fruits, but not Fish Lake Oxheart, which has no fruit set yet. All were planted at about the same time.

Although it could be just luck with early fruit set

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

So far, Kimberley has been the earliest and best tasting of the few very early varieties I've tried. Best tasting means good, but not great.

This year it's going up against Stupice, Early Wonder, Early Annie, Moskvich,
Sophie's Choice, Beaverlodge Slicer, Early Treat F1, and Mountain Princess (although MP is likely out of the running as I've heard it is not as early as advertised).

Only greenies at this point, but I'll try to post when things are ripe.

Dr. Lve Apple
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #8
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i have one kimberley plant but i kinda use early cherries like sungold to hold me over till the big boys start producing ripe tomatoes. big beef and brandy boy set fruit the same week as kimberley and a bunch of cherries so i should have some relatively early tomatoes.

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #9
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

My strategy is also to count on cherries for good-tasting early tomatoes, though this year I didn't plant the cherry tomatoes as early as I would have liked to.

The earliest great-tasting tomato is usually Pruden's Purple. There's a thread that says it's 100 days from seed to ripe fruit.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

This is my 4th year growing Amazon Chocolate (PL version) and it's always the earliest one I grow besides Sungold.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #11
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

So far, my early season surprise has been the small yellow determinate 'V. Desjatku'. The flavor was impressive (for an early tomato) and I will add it to my fall garden. Thanks Clara!

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'll cast another vote for Kimberley which I'm growing for a second year. I started all my tomato seeds on 3/17, planted out on 5/11, and it looks like I may have my first ripe Kimberley within the next week or two (fingers crossed). Flavor is quite good for an early tomato.

The big surprise, however, is Italian Heirloom. It has two decent sized fruit that are also developing that shiny, darker green, almost-ready-to-start-turning-red look to them. It's listed as a "mid-season," but it sure is behaving like an "early" for me this year.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #13
nathan125
Tomatovillian™

I picked a Beaverlodge Slicer on the 23rd of May, very early for my area. it weighed 3 oz and tasted nice.
nathan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #14
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Sophie's Choice.
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #15
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I think you'll find your Cherokee Purple to be one of the earliest in a full size tomato. At least it has been for me. I like Matina, which has won for the last 2 years. I think it has better taste than many earlies I have tried.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote