Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 23, 2012   #1
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Default My potatoes from seed.

I just had to share those are mine first ever tubers from potato seedlings, and I think they are super-cute I hope that next year they will grow into something that I can taste
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Good work,what name are they loeb

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #3
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Those are from Brevoort River seedling.
Old July 27, 2012   #4
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Tubers from next seedling are oval, purple skinned, and smooth.

I wonder why 3 of the seedling died off when I hilled them up.. It looks like they dried the stem on a level of hilling soil.. I have made this with 2-3 year compost and other seedlings, even tiny don't have such reaction to that soil. Weather in this year is even more strange that in previous one.. june and july were very rainy and very hot, rain at night and 33-39*celsius at day.. I think I will mark those seedlings as probably easily infected by funghi, and I will observate them in next year. One of them had very tiny tubers, I guess just started to form:/ I have left it in the ground, but don't think they will grow up more.. 0,5cm - I'm not sure such tiny tubers could survive.
Old July 27, 2012   #5
mrs_dlight
Tomatovillian™

Great to see someone else growing potatoes from seed Last year was my first year growing potatoes from seed. I had some plants I thouht had died. They all had pea size tubers. I just left them in the ground and didn't want to bother with them. To my surprise this year I had a tons of potato plants that came up like weeds. I am thinking this was due to the mild winterer we had.
mrs_dlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2012   #6
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Good to know. I think I will put them in little containers with garden soil, and try to keep it damp. If yours pea-sized survived maybe mine will survive too.. I can't leave them in garden, last year there was almost no snow and -29*C.
Old July 27, 2012   #7
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Last year I had some micro tubers that were about 5 or 6 mm in size and I have plants this year that I started with those micro tubers. I took the tubers out of the containers in late November and planted them five months later. I got them started in small pots, then transplanted them.
Your pea-sized tubers should have a good chance of surviving, I think.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2012   #8
loeb
Tomatovillian™

If something won't eat them.. Today something "touched" me, and I decided to go and dig the rest of my potatoe seedling plants.

Only the last one is still in the field, because it's flowering AGAIN. I don't know it seems to be indeterminated ? I have digged one tuber from that last plant about month ago, and it was kinda big I would say, 5cm [about 2 inches], but had something like sleeping sprouts .. I left it in light to see if they will start growing, but no, it is dormant now, with those anthens sticking out of it Plant is sprawling and very vigorous.. Tubers are white, flowers are kinda hairy..yellowish.. no berries.. it's Chaposa seedling.

But, talking about that "touched me something" feeling - when I digged out one of the seedlings I realized that I'm looking onto an orange-fleshed tuber. And in the next second, I realized, that I am looking on a flesh because mice ate almost everything ..Ugh..And it was biggest tuber there, about 3cm.. I would like to save the remains, it still has few eyes on it. It MUST be tasty, those mice always eat most tasty things:/