Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 3, 2012   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default Callas and lilies for heat tolerance?

I need some good callas and lilies for heat tolerance. I'm planting a huge area around the pool in mostly shade, just light sun in various hours of the day. None of it ever gets full sun. I'm in love with various callas and lilies. I'm going with purples, apricots and shades of red. Would also like to add a couple of tropical hibiscus but not sure if they'll bloom in the lower light?
I need all heights including some ground covers. One of the problems that I have with the area is mulching. I can't really use many organic mulches because they float and we flood irrigate. The water height goes right up to the lip of the sidewalk. I may try a heavy bark.
Some roses would be good, too and I've noticed they seem to do quite well here, even in shadier areas. I'm very struck with the darker colors, especially the midnight blue rose and plan to use the wild blue yonder climbing rose in other areas of the yard, planting it next fall when it cools off.
The other things that I love are the alliums, ferns, various herbs, lemon grass, which I have growing as a bunch grass in this area in 3-4 bunches.
Any suggestions, also on a place to buy that isn't too expensive?
Finally, how cany I get my thyme to survive the summer? Is there a more heat tolerant thyme than the common thyme?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote