Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old January 18, 2012   #1
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Default Inhome composting in a aquarium!

Why not? If you can get a well balanced compost indoors that does not have a strong smell you will be doing good. I myself would like to see what is happening so I would use a aquarium with a cover. Remember the old ant farms where you could watch them! Worms may work a air rater set on a timer to come n a few minutes a day may help! Having a temperature gauge inside would show you how the mix s working! may be a interesting project even in a greenhouse!
===
If put near a window a plant may even grow inside the compost mix! lots of possibilities away from the norm! you could even have clear jars with other exprmental mixes inside the composting aquarium. The small temp gages for aquariums could be in every jar. Its too early for this brain tension thinking! How much heat will a small compost give off maybe even as a heat pad for seed starting!
Old January 18, 2012   #2
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

are you thinking of the aerobic kind of composting or the anaerobic kind that happens with bokashi? I want to do the bokashi type of composting, thought about doing it at school, and then I saw a cockroach in the corner the other day (I seriously think it was crawling up a pipe from the lunchroom) which made me reconsider the at-school composting idea... I think I would be voted "least popular staff member" if I started a cockroach farm... but then again, maybe people would be happy because the cockroaches would leave their areas and come over to mine? hmmmmm...
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2012   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

An Aquarium???????

Have you talked to the Guppies about this?????
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2012   #4
erlyberd
Tomatovillian™

Get some worms and let us know how it works out. I have two worm bins in the basement and the worm compost they produce is pricless! I just use rubbermaid containersand they seem to work just fine.Heat system for seed starting??? Lets keep it simple there bobber. Can you say 15watt lightbulb inside a styrofoam box? Works great.
erlyberd is offline   Reply With Quote