Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 2, 2010   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default A Must Read for Plant Growers

Came across this on one of my google excursions, How-To Hydroponics by Keith Roberto. It'a a down loadable PDF that answers so many questions that come up from starting seedlings to lighting requirements, nutrient requirements, light spectrum, PH, growing cuttings and the list goes on and on. And if you want to experiment with hydroponic growing it's all there and it's free. Ami

Last edited by Mischka; December 3, 2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Link removed until I can confirm whether or not the hosting site has permission to distribute it.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2010   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

That looks like a very impressive article - thanks, Ami.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2010   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ami:

Very nice find on the net.
Old December 2, 2010   #4
wordwiz
Tomatovillian™

FWIW, the book is copyrighted.

Mike
wordwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2010   #5
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Linking to it is not a violation of the DMCA, as we aren't hosting a digital copy on this site. I will leave the decision whether to view it or not to our members.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2010   #6
wordwiz
Tomatovillian™

It's your site and of course you are welcome to make such decisions. But it seems, at least to me, that if you allow links to pirated software, on in this case a book, it is the same as condoning it.

A hypothetical question! Suppose you wrote a book that was very helpful to a lot of people. Someone bought it then uploaded it to their web host, then sent Jere a message asking him to post a link to it? Legal, yes. Would you be a happy camper, or would the people who paid for the book feel cheated?

Again, it is your call.

Mike
Old December 2, 2010   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Linking to it is not a violation of the DMCA, as we aren't hosting a digital copy on this site. I will leave the decision whether to view it or not to our members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwiz View Post
It's your site and of course you are welcome to make such decisions. But it seems, at least to me, that if you allow links to pirated software, on in this case a book, it is the same as condoning it.
I can definitely understand why Mischka made it a point to state that this is NOT a DMCA violation here on this forum, since none of the content contained in the link is actually posted, quoted or hosted here. These days, it seems to me just based on other forums I occasionally read/lurk on, folks can tend to be quick on the draw to report such things. Frequently it happens if someone doesn't like the forum or wants to make trouble for the forum owner.

Don't take me the wrong way - I am not saying you fall into that sort of "category" at all. However, could you please provide a little more info on why you think or know this is pirated or ripped off without the permission of the writer / copyright owner?

Thanks, Mike. Just trying to understand what might be going on here.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2010   #8
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

FYI, an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Linking to infringing content

The law is currently unsettled with regard to websites that contain links to infringing material; however, there have been a few lower-court decisions which have ruled against linking in some narrowly prescribed circumstances. One is when the owner of a website has already been issued an in★★★★★★★★ against posting infringing material on their website and then links to the same material in an attempt to circumvent the in★★★★★★★★. Another area involves linking to software or devices which are designed to circumvent DRM (digital rights management) devices, or links from websites whose sole purpose is to circumvent copyright protection by linking to copyrighted material.[4]
There have been no cases in the US where a website owner has been found liable for linking to copyrighted material outside of the above narrow circumstances.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2010   #9
wordwiz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
I can definitely understand why Mischka made it a point to state that this is NOT a DMCA violation here on this forum, since none of the content contained in the link is actually posted, quoted or hosted here. These days, it seems to me just based on other forums I occasionally read/lurk on, folks can tend to be quick on the draw to report such things. Frequently it happens if someone doesn't like the forum or wants to make trouble for the forum owner.

Don't take me the wrong way - I am not saying you fall into that sort of "category" at all. However, could you please provide a little more info on why you think or know this is pirated or ripped off without the permission of the writer / copyright owner?

Thanks, Mike. Just trying to understand what might be going on here.
Suze,

No offense taken!

I'm not sure I can even explain my position, in all honesty. I guess it goes to giving people who provide very useful info their just rewards. I bought a book - it cost about $34 counting shipping that provides a ton of useful info about growing plants in a GH, lighting, and more. Worth every penny I spent. It came with a CD with the whole thing, and more, in pdf files. I have a web site where I could upload the pages and have a friend post a link to, which would in time show up in Google and spawn more links.

But they guys who wrote the book and the company who sent me the book and CD have a vested interest and if everyone can download the info for free, they will not, in the future, have a good reason to spend their time and money to publish a follow-up.

If you look at Page 4, in the left-hand column, it states the copyright info. This site is following the letter of the law, but not the spirit.

I don't think Ami meant to do anything in the least bit wrong - find a great site and post a link to it. I would do the same. But I know this is a book that is sold and have notified this site's owner the book is copyrighted. If he wants to hide behind legalities, as I said, that is his right. But IMO, it's like watching a crime being committed and exclaiming, "I'm not committing it but I'm not about to take any action."

YMMV,

Mike
Old December 2, 2010   #10
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No offense taken!
Good.

Quote:
I'm not sure I can even explain my position, in all honesty. I guess it goes to giving people who provide very useful info their just rewards.
Okay. I see. Again, what I am asking is can you provide some concrete info that clearly demonstrates the writings contained in the link have been ripped off by some other party in violation of copyright without permission? Yes, I read and understood that you paid for the book, but perhaps there is something else at play here since that occurred.

Quote:
I don't think Ami meant to do anything in the least bit wrong - find a great site and post a link to it. I would do the same. But I know this is a book that is sold and have notified this site's owner the book is copyrighted. If he wants to hide behind legalities, as I said, that is his right.
I know Ami pretty well, and there is no doubt in my mind that he was trying to do anything other than offer helpful information to other forum members.

We are not hiding behind legalities. If you have any concrete evidence that the writings of this person have been ripped off, please produce it.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2010   #11
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

This book has been released as an e-book.
It may also be viewed (in larger sized text) at Google Books:

How to Hydroponics - Google Books

EDITED: To alleviate any (C) misgivings anybody might feel.
Old December 3, 2010   #12
wordwiz
Tomatovillian™

RTT and Suze,

If you look at the link you (RTT) provided, at the bottom of each page it plainly states copyrighted material. Copyrighted means it cannot be reproduced (posted on the net) without the author's permission. The Bee site that has the link does not have a disclaimer that it is posted with permission. Also, the Google Books version does not seem to contain the step by step method to build a system that the pdf version does. The author chose to display some pages of the book, probably to entice people to buy it.

I don't have a horse in this race. I have the book (it's great, but to me not worth as much as Lighting Up Profits), I don't own stock in the publishing company and certainly do not know the author. The only reason for my bringing this up was to let the site administrators know the book is still under copyright protection.

Mike

In no way, shape or form do I think Ami was, as you stated, trying to post something wrong or intending to hurt anyone.
Old December 3, 2010   #13
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I removed the link until I can confirm whether or not the hosting site has permission to distribute the pdf.

I did notice that the pdf was riddled wth links to the hydro products site that the author operates.

Every single product photo has a "hover link" embedded in it that redirects you to their site to purchase the item if you move your cursor over it.

I suspect that the pdf file is meant to drive sales at the authors' website, in addition to any helpful content within it.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2010   #14
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

If any viewers would like a 3rd Edition copy, it is available here:

Last edited by Suze; December 3, 2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Link removed until we can confirm whether or not the hosting site has permission to distribute it.
Old December 3, 2010   #15
wordwiz
Tomatovillian™

Mischka,

Nothing could be finer than to see you restore the link after finding out the hosting site has permission to distribute it. But I doubt they do.

Mike