Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old February 19, 2010   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default True World Class GIANT Pumpkin Seed Offer

I was given some seed from the same genetic base that produced the recent world record holder up in Ohio. I tried diligently through several avenues to contact Georgia growers with an interest and the willingness to put forth the time and effort to grow one of these mammoths for statewide competition. No takers.

These came from the same stock that produced the 1700 plus pound World Record. They normally sell for thirty plus dollars each. If anyone here is interested please send me a note. The supply is VERY limited and I will be giving ONE seed (free) to each taker until the supply is gone. Send me a PM and we can arrange for the SASE.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #2
pete
Tomatovillian™

Default pumpkin seed

PM sent, thankyou

Pete
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
PM sent, thankyou

Pete
Already allocated and prepped the seed for cushioning in the mail. These are almost double the size of those sold in the new Ferry Morse packets.

What we should do to make this interesting is have our own little Tomatoville contest from those who recieve these or have seeds from elsewhere. I've already begun preparing my ONE SEED planting space! These are not your basic little punkin vine. Imagine the space that a vine to feed a 1700 pounder takes. From what I have already read, those who get REALLY serious even bury the vine itself to shield it from bugs while using all manner of techniques to prevent molds, fungus, bugs, sunscald, etc.. And we think Tomato growers get into it. Imagine some of them putting 12 cubic yards of organic matter into the soil for ONE pumpkin!
Old February 19, 2010   #4
SunnyK
Tomatovillian™

I don't have the room in my garden to take on an endeavor of this size, well , maybe if I don't grow any other veggies . But I would love to follow along with the progress of those of you who grow these behemoths!! I look forward to reading all about it!

Donna
SunnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #5
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

The vines are also buried at each node where extra roots grow. These extra roots pull in more nutrients.

Anyway I have have some seeds that are Jutras crosses and some Wallace crosses. These two gents where previous world record holders.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #6
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLorentz View Post
The vines are also buried at each node where extra roots grow. These extra roots pull in more nutrients.

Anyway I have have some seeds that are Jutras crosses and some Wallace crosses. These two gents where previous world record holders.

Kevin
With a sudden rush of requests, I now have two left, so we will need a LOT more good info like that! Thanks So far...Pete, dust devil, farmette, bluelytes, garden frog, prizebull, and velikipop. Hope I haven't missed anyone. Waiting for a confirmation of need/desire and legality of sending seed to Italy. AGAIN..only TWO left. These are not just Atlantic Giant, but Atlantic Giants from the strain that produced the BIG one in Ohio. If anyone knows how to get more for others to join in, or you have your own for our T'ville group's friendly competition, feel free to come on in. Note, to keep all happy...no official sponsorship mentioned or implied and no dollars to change hands or be awarded.

ALL suggestions re technique will be welcomed!
Old February 20, 2010   #7
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

SORRY to any who have not already responded, sent a PM, and received a reply from me, but NO MORE SEEDS ARE LEFT. If this is half as much fun as I expect as we follow each others efforts and success, I do hope that each of the seed recipients will save me a handful of LARGE seeds (there should be PLENTY inside these monsters) so that for next year I will have a sizable collection to pay forward to all newcomers to our little contest for next year.

There are several books on Amazon and through the Ohio Valley Growers site on the whole process. From what I have already learned, the time to start preparing your dedicated space is NOW. Be sure to dig down and till in plenty of nutrients and soil amendments and then build up for an additional layer of another foot of compost, manure, amendments, limestone, and whatever your magic amendments may be.

Some add systemic controls throughout that soil for prevention of squash borer, fungus, other insects and disease.

Please share your findings, ideas and experimentations here.
Old February 22, 2010   #8
cortona
Tomatovillian™

if you mensplace agree i'm in for your contest, i have my seeds and if some other guys want some good seeds(over 1000 lb) i have some that i give away for the cost of a self adressed bubble!
my seeds are 1611 dhao(european record) 1433.5 Rumancik,and 1452 Ghaye. i have recived this seeds from the grower and just for the cost of the sasbe and i know the thing that means are 50% genetic and 50% the patch(wel we need another x% called luck but dont tel it to too much people lol)
cortona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2010   #9
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortona View Post
if you mensplace agree i'm in for your contest, i have my seeds and if some other guys want some good seeds(over 1000 lb) i have some that i give away for the cost of a self adressed bubble!
my seeds are 1611 dhao(european record) 1433.5 Rumancik,and 1452 Ghaye. i have recived this seeds from the grower and just for the cost of the sasbe and i know the thing that means are 50% genetic and 50% the patch(wel we need another x% called luck but dont tel it to too much people lol)
The "contest" is really just a friendly bit of competition here and certainly open to all with an interest! Hopefully some will take advantage of your extremely generous offer. Too, as I have never attempted this, I do hope that all will feel free to share their ideas or experience. Reading about the process, it seems that the first step is to create a very deep and wide growing bed/platform and fill it with as much compost/manure, etc. as possible. Started that, but have only gone down a foot so far. I read that many go down two feet. That is a LOT different from simply putting a seed into the ground! So far there about nine people, but maybe this will grow.
Old February 1, 2011   #10
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to update on the pumpkin seed I planted from mensplace offer...Here is the vine Mid-way through the season..
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2011   #11
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Young pumpkin
Old February 1, 2011   #12
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Maturing pumpkin..We had it propped on a chair and also made a sling to help support the pumpkin and vine..
Old February 1, 2011   #13
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Fully developed...Hubby and I had to put it in the wheelbarrow.It was huge and very heavy.. Never weighed it, although we intended to.
Old February 3, 2011   #14
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

That is a beauty. Any special growing techniques used. Ami
Old February 3, 2011   #15
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
That is a beauty. Any special growing techniques used. Ami
Lots of well rotted composted chicken manure...This was planted in an area by the chicken coop..It was then fenced in..except for the vines that grew and escaped outside the fence ...that was all!!

Thanks..