Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 13, 2010   #1
Gerald51
Tomatovillian™

Default OK I'm Finished With My 2010 Grow List

I only have room enough to plant 14 tomato plants. So I go through this torture of selecting what I think I will be happy with. If I had the space I'd plant new tomato varieties until I dropped.

Early Girl F1 - I grew this one last year. I like it a lot in my homemade salsa, because of it's firmness. It gives you loads of egg to tennis size tomatoes

SunGold F1 - I'm tired of hearing how good it is, so I thought I would give it try.

Cherokee Purple - Grew it last year. Yeah its that good.

Big Beef F1 - I read some good things about it, so I thought I would give it try.

Ramapo OP - I've never tried this one. I hope it's as good as I hear the F1 is.

Marianna's Peace - Grew it last year. It's really a good tasting medium sized tomato and it produces well too.

Stump of the World - Grew it last year. It's has a taste similar to BW to me and it loads up with lots of big tomatoes.

Aussie - Grew it last year. It produces lots of large good tasting tomatoes.

New Yorker - I thought I would try another early small tomato.

Goose Creek - This one sounds like it might be a winner.

JD's Special C-Tex - I got see what all the hype is about.

Aunt Lou's Underground Railroad - The name made me want to give it try.

Liz Birt - Grew it last year. It's a really good tasting tomato. It produces well too.

Jet Star F1 - I tasted one at the farmers' market. The farmer said it was his best producers, it was early and produced lots of tomatoes all the way to frost. It had a really good taste too.

I started all the seeds from my selection today. I hope I'm going to be happy with what I picked.

Gerald

Last edited by Gerald51; February 13, 2010 at 08:11 PM.
Gerald51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Good Luck! Since last year was a bit off, I'm hoping the weather is better for this growing season.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010   #3
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

1000 acres = 1000 plants...We are all in the same fix...what to plant and what to scratch off...If you had 20000000 acres, it would be the same (although with me, it's getting to be more about how hard do I want to work versus how many varieties do I want to plant...?) We all start out "gung ho" and the full head of steam tends to start waining about August when all you are doing is watering and picking and it's hot and there are mosquitos and can't we take a weekend off? I will miss my sun-dried tomato business but will not miss 500+ plants and the continuous job of picking, slicing, soaking and drying and packing up...I kind of think I maybe I won't miss it as much as I think (I thought I would really miss being a veterinarian and running a large breeding business but all I really miss are the cutesy baby foals in the spring... and I DO NOT HAVE TO GET UP AT 4 a.m ANY MORE!!!) You appear to have a good list. Hopefuly, Mother Nature (who can be a real hag...) will co-operate and you will have a wonderful season!
Old February 13, 2010   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Gerald,

I think you will really enjoy Goose Creek. This is my #1 favorite tomato.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2010   #5
Gerald51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Gerald,

I think you will really enjoy Goose Creek. This is my #1 favorite tomato.

Raybo
Yeah, GC really sounds like a good tomato. I can't wait to bite into one.

Gerald
Gerald51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2010   #6
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Glad you finished your list - I'm still struggling! GC growing out for the first time this year, look forward to it, seems like everyone has very positive references about it!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote