Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 7, 2010   #1
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Default Galina's vs SunGold

I grew SunGold last year and the family fell in love with it so it's on the list for this year. It is actually the last seeds I'll need to get my hands on for this year's grow list. However, I have Galina's seeds that I've never grown. Just wondering from those out there that have grown both what the differences are...

Thanks.
Old February 7, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanJohn View Post
I grew SunGold last year and the family fell in love with it so it's on the list for this year. It is actually the last seeds I'll need to get my hands on for this year's grow list. However, I have Galina's seeds that I've never grown. Just wondering from those out there that have grown both what the differences are...

Thanks.
The basic traits of both are quite different.

Sungold F1 is a hybrid, as you know, RL, indet and for many of us it really is quite an early variety and I grow it almost every year b'c I like the taste.

Galina's Yellow, which was the original name that was brought back from Siberia when Bill McDorman brought this one and many others back, has much larger cherry tomatoes, they mature to a deep gold, unlike Sungold, whose mature fruits are orange, Galina is PL and indet and I really like the taste of the fruits; they aren't sweet but have a nice more complex non-fruity taste than does Sungold. And it ripens much later than Sungold as well.

I can't pick one over the other b'c I like both very much for what they are as distinct varieties and each with different positive attributes.
Old February 7, 2010   #3
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Very good information Carolyn. Thank you. Sounds like they are two very different creatures. I may have to find a spot in the garden this year to give Galina's a try as they sound 'right up my alley' from your description.

Thanks.
Old February 8, 2010   #4
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

Hi John,

I've grown both and like SunGold a lot better. For me, Galina's is a bit odd tasting. Not exactly bland, but not particularly enticing either. I ended up shovel-pruning the Galina's plant long before summer ended because nobody was eating the cherries. But, your mileage may vary . . .

This year I'm growing SunGold's sister; SunCherry plus Chadwicks, and Black Cherry for my cherry tomatoes.

Yvonne
roamwhereiwant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2010   #5
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

I am a huge Sungold fan and grow it every year, guess I have a sweet tooth. It is regularly first to ripen and keeps going until hit by frost.
I very much enjoy Galina but if I could grow only one of those, it would be Sungold every time. Galina would not be a substitute for Sungold for me, it is quite different tasting.
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2010   #6
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Thanks you both for your input.
Old February 8, 2010   #7
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

sun gold is a must, if i grow tomatoes sun gold will be there. i grew galina's one season but was not impressed by it. it did not taste good, just so so and it produced very few tomatoes. the plant died before the end of the season, very odd, other than last year with late blight i seldom have had that happen. personally i wouldn't try it again but you really need to try it to see what you think.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2010   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

When I was buying transplants rather than saving and growing from seed, I grew SunGold F1 twice (because it's available everywhere) and Galina's Yellow once (because I found it only one year). To me, SunGold has a bit of an off taste and I got tired of it by midseason. I start cooking with tomatoes as a last resort when I have too many to eat and can't give them away any more. I remember that year the newspaper ran some articles about tomato desserts, so I tried creating a recipe for SunGold muffins. I'd grow it again if I couldn't grow any tomatoes from seed and that was the only thing left at the nursery.

The one year I grew Galina's, I grew Sunsugar F1 next to it, and they looked and tasted so similar that I wonder if the plant really was Galina's! I'm looking forward to trying it again.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2010   #9
bohica
Tomatovillian™

Sungold was such a pleasant surprise for us, we have never grown anything other then a large varieties, the flavor was amazing, we popped them right in our mouths in the garden, I dont think too many made it inside!
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2010   #10
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Yup - I thought Sungold and Galina's were very different too. Galina's was more yellow-gold and Sungold was orange. Galina's produced larger and slightly fewer fruits (though it was still quite productive.) Sungold has a very concentrated sweet, almost wine-y flavor to me. Galina's wasn't nearly as sweet and had a much more subtle flavor (not bland though.)

Oh yes, and Sungold produced fruits much earlier than Galina's did for me.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2010   #11
bohica
Tomatovillian™

If anyone knows of a source for a few sungold seeds, I would be very interested in trying to get a few.
Thanks!
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010   #12
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

Send me a PM here or at Perry's if you still need Sun Gold Seed.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote