Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2010   #1
tomatoaddict

Default North Carolina Pink and KB Pink

I received seed for both North Carolina Pink and Kellogg's Breakfast Pink (both from trades). I put them on my growlist for this year. After doing quite a bit of googling , I cant seem to find any info about them.
Any information would be appreciated.
Old February 4, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
I received seed for both North Carolina Pink and Kellogg's Breakfast Pink (both from trades). I put them on my growlist for this year. After doing quite a bit of googling , I cant seem to find any info about them.
Any information would be appreciated.
I'm wondering if the North Carolina PInk is the one that was subsequently named Hege German Pink. I know it was circulating as ???? before it was named Hege German Pink. Perhaps someone else can clarify for you.

I think I've seen reference to a Kellogg's Breafast Pink but it isn't listed in the 2009 SSE YEarbook and my 2010 one should arrive soon and I'm not going to the online Yearbook version until it's functional.

The problem with Googling a variety is that there are a lot of seed places out there that aren't scanned by Google.
Old February 5, 2010   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Hege German Pink was referred to as German Pink grown by Mr. Hege hence it's name. I think I know where Terry got her KB pink from. What's Up. Ted
Old February 5, 2010   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Remy has North Carolina Pink on her seed inventory list (but not for sale), maybe she'll see this thread - or you can ask her.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010   #5
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default NorCarolina

I got my Norcarolina Pink and Norcarolina Gold from dwlcrl and I think it originated with J.Smarsz but won't swear to it.
Neil G. (Canada)
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010   #6
tomatoaddict

I know I got my NC Pink from Dwlcrl for sure. I honestly can't remember where the KB pink came from without running downstairs and looking.
Old February 5, 2010   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I also received seed from David via John Smarsz. Mine was labeled "Norcalina Pink" (and "Norcalina Gold") one year, and "North Carolina Pink" the next year. I haven't got around to trying it, yet.

As for Kelloggs Breakfast Pink, David grew out my saved seed of Kelloggs Breakfast, and got one plant with pink fruit. He named it. I trialed it the next year, and haven't tried it again. I'd rank it about 200th, out of about 300 pink beefsteaks I've tried. Someday, I might try it again.

Terry,

I'd REALLY like to hear about Granny Cantrell's PL Red. Since the story goes that she only grew one tomato, and it's a RL pink, I'm.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010   #8
tomatoaddict

So Gary I take it that the KB pink was a loser? If that's so, I won't waste the garden space.
I really don't know the story about Granny Cantrell's. I know it's supposed to be a RL pink but I grew a PL red I got from another grower. I don't know if it's a cross or what. I grew it last year and it was amazing!
Old February 6, 2010   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Terry,

KB Pink was a loser, for a pink tomato. If it were a red , green, yellow, etc... it would be OK. It just doesn't hold up to the high standards of pink beefsteaks.
I'd replace it with "Seek-No-Further Apple".

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2010   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
So Gary I take it that the KB pink was a loser? If that's so, I won't waste the garden space.
I really don't know the story about Granny Cantrell's. I know it's supposed to be a RL pink but I grew a PL red I got from another grower. I don't know if it's a cross or what. I grew it last year and it was amazing!
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Granny_Cantrell

Terry, here is Tania's very detailed and complete history of the variety Granny Cantrell. No one says PL. Color has been said to be red or pink, see her notes on this, but the epidermis is clear so the color should be described as pink.