Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 1, 2010   #1
Gerald51
Tomatovillian™

Default Dehybridization

Just curious. How do these de-hybridized varieties stack-up against the F1 varieties?

Sungold F1 vs Sungold OP

Ramapo F1 vs Ramapo OP

Campari F1 vs Campari OP

Gerald
Gerald51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald51 View Post
Just curious. How do these de-hybridized varieties stack-up against the F1 varieties?

Sungold F1 vs Sungold OP

Ramapo F1 vs Ramapo OP

Campari F1 vs Campari OP

Gerald
I can speak to the first two, but not the third.

Reinhard Kraft in Germany has released three OP Sungolds, Sungold Select I, Sungold Select II and his latest, Big Sungold Select which I offered in my seed offer here, now closed.

I may not have the names of the first two correct but in any case they have not had the sweet fruity taste that one experiences with the hybrid. I think this last one is better tasting than the others, is larger and is orange from the get go.

At another site someone was talking about a cross between Lucky Cross, the bicolor and Sungold, I don't know if the hybrid or an OP Sungold, I think it's being called Sunlucky, and it's said to retain that fruity taste but it isn't yet genetically stable and at this time there's no way to know if the taste will carry through to the final OP state.

I dehybridized Ramapo F1 quite a few years ago when it went out of production and distributed seed widely through GW where I was making my seed offers at the time. it only took three generations to get it stable and quite a few folks have said that they see no difference from the F1 and many are on the F5 and 6 generations with everything still stable. One of those folks is Barkeater, who posts here and used to grow Ramapo F1 commercially in NJ. I also agree with that b'c I'd grown the F1 before as well. Actually with each selection I made I grew the F1 for comparison, seeds obtained from Rutgers before the more recent Ramapo F1 seeds they had produced and are now selling commercially.

I know nothing about Campari.
Old February 1, 2010   #3
Gerald51
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn you're a wealth of information.

Thanks

Gerald
Gerald51 is offline   Reply With Quote