Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 16, 2009   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomaten Dunger

I sent the North American Neudorff Rep. an email concerning the non-availability of Tomaten Dunger in North America and here is the response I received. Ami

Theodore. Firstly thanks for buying our product. Unfortunately in the short term we cannot sell this product in the US. Fertilizers require a registration. However we'll look deeper into the idea of registering/selling our fertilizers in the US.

Thanks
Cam

Cam Wilson
Vice President
Neudorff North America
Old November 16, 2009   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Ami,

Thanks for your efforts on this!!! Can you send me Cam's direct email address?

My son runs a commercial Hydroponics store in Santa Fe, NM. and I am going to ask him to get in touch with the Neudorff folks to see if he can stock it in his store. Will keep all posted.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2009   #3
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Well if Honda and Hyundai can manufacture cars in the US maybe... Neudorff folks can set up manufacturing facilities here and produce their fine product for this market or at least have a facility in the US produce their product rather than shipping it into the country.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2009   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Ray, Here it is. Ami

Cam Wilson (cam@neudorff.ca)
Old November 16, 2009   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

It's not so much the production (tho the shipping would add a lot to the cost) but like he said "registration".

Actually since my hubby worked for 20 years in the fertilizer biz, I think Cam may be be mis-understanding the laws. As best as I understood them, only fertilizers that had some pesticide type chemical added to the formula needed to be registered. ex - things like "Weed & Feed". I'm not familiar with that product so I don't know if there is anything in Tomaten Dunger that would require registration.

The company my husband worked for is known as a "blender" and came up with custom formulas on the fly for customers. They wouldn't have been able to do that if every formula had to be registered.

Of course there could be different rules when importing is involved. I know there were all kinds of hoops that had to be jumped thru when they exported something to Taiwan.

If Tomaten Dunger is just a special formula, possibly it could be produced here in the USA under license.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2009   #6
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if the micro-organisms in it are why it would be difficult to import? I would hazard a guess that the USDA would require some sort of testing or special license before they'd let it in the country.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2009   #7
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I looked up the Tomaten Dunger translated page and see something called MyccoVital mycorrhiza as the additive. So far tho I can't find any page other than other shops selling Tomaten Dunger when I look for info about MyccoVital.

Carol
Old November 16, 2009   #8
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about testing or licensing exactly, but I do know that other rooting activator and/or hormone products have had to show proof of efficasee (sp?) before they could be sold in states like Cali and Wi.

Personally I like and use a product in my greenhouse that the state of Wi keeps trying to ban. I believe it makes a difference for me, but often products like that only have "hearsay" proof that the stuff works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

After looking at 20 + Google pages, all in German, and nothing that I could figure out being anything other than mention of the product with MyccoVital added, my guess is that MyccoVital is made by that same company and not sold seperately. A "proprietary" product.

Carol
Old November 16, 2009   #9
mjc
Tomatovillian™

There is also the 'certified organic' certification process which is a pay-for certification.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2010   #10
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

I just lost the post I made...sigh.

I don't know if I'd use a ratio like that for tomatoes & peppers.

What are some of the ingredients? That other link most varieties on their website seemed similar #s.

Mycho you can get from certain promix blends.

What is all the hoopla I'm missing?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2010   #11
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

The hoopla regarding Tomaten Dunger is that Ray found that it worked better than old Tomato Tone producing a very strong healthy plant in a SWC. Since finding the last of the old Tomato Tone around No VA last year I'm looking to blend something that will provide the necessary nutrients for Tomatoes grown in Self Wattering Containers this year and into the future.

On a side note the hint to use Messenger to inhibit powdery mildew seems to be working this year. I'll also start my spraying with potassium bicarbonate mix next week and continue through the season.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2010   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Korney,

Last Season in my quest to find a suitable replacement for the "Old" Tomato-tone, Ami had sent me the fertilizer that he was using with excellent results. I grew out 2 Celebrity plants in my Fall Season, comparing a 50/50 blend of the Old and New Tomato-tones vs. the Tomaten Dunger. The Celebrity in the Tomaten Dunger was more productive and lived longer than the Celebrity in the 50/50 Tomato-tones.

This Season, I am taking a more "scientific" approach, with the "Old" Tomato-tone in one 'Tainer on this pair of Goose Creek plants:

A second 'Tainer with 2 more Goose Creek plants in the "New" Tomato-tone:

And a third 'Tainer with another pair of Goose Creek plants in Tomaten Dunger:

All have identical 3:2:1 Combo Mix, they all get the same water amount, and Sun exposure. This is as close a clinical trial as I could run. I'll post results throughout the growing Season.

Raybo
Old April 12, 2010   #13
korney19

So what was better, the plant size? fruit size? number of fruit? taste?

Did you have one fert in one box & another in a different box, or 1 fert on 1 side and another fert on the other side of the box?

What were the NPK's of the 3 products?

I'm still trying to warm up to the EarthTainer way, need to go over the plans & methods better when I can sit down & study everything better. I'm just curious why it seems so much different regarding ferts used in more conventional methods. For example, with 4 or 5 gallon containers using drip fertigation, my best results have always been by using a hi-P fert like a bloom booster or 10-52-8 for the first month, then switching to a more balanced fert, like Plantex 15-15-18 or M-G for Tomatoes 18-19-21 (or whatever the exact #s are.) Using these results, I've had Sophie's Choice with 15+ tomatoes, (6 to 12oz each), Crnkovic Yugoslavian with over 4 dozen (49) 12 to 18oz fruits, 2lb Oleyar's Germans in 3 gallons of media, Supersweet 100's in 6-quart pots, etc. I guess I don't understand the push towards higher N ratios, unless it is compensating for a lack somewhere else or extra N is needed because of the pine bark or ??? With lower N higher P ferts, I find production/yield/output up quite more (100-300%.)
Old April 12, 2010   #14
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Korney,

Ideally, the Container type or in-ground growing shouldn't make that much of a difference. All I am evaluating is how various fertilizers that are advertised a "Tomato" fertilizers perform. One could do this in the ground, but there are many variables there that are difficult to control and keep uniform.

My goal is to simply find a new fertilizer that performs equally as well as the now discontinued 4-7-10 original formula Tomato-tone, which I loved.

Raybo
Old April 12, 2010   #15
korney19

What is the new TT, 3-4-6? A mix of old & new would be about 4-5-8.

What is the German fert NPK?