Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 16, 2009   #1
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Default Come join us - 2nd Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED. WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW PARTICIPANTS.

Hi everyone,

I am hosting another Tomato and Pepper seed exchange this year that will include members from a few different forums. I would love for a few Tomatovillians to join in the fun. I hadn't seen other exchanges hosted on this site, so I pre-cleared this with Mischka back in June. Mischka also suggested that I post this in the general discussion forum.

I wanted to post this a bit early so you had time to collect seeds or place an order. Here are the guidelines we will follow for this swap.

1. Seeds must be received by me no later than October 30th, so I recommend you mail your envelope no later than October 15th. Please note that I live in Canada.

You can send "named varieties" of tomatoes or peppers (or both). Do not include mixes or seeds labeled "granny's mystery mix" or anything like that. I cannot, in fairness, send mixed or unknown packs of seed back to people that followed the instructions and only sent in "named varieties".

2. A minimum of 10 seeds per packet. A maximum of 5 packets of the same seed. An overall maximum of 30 packets per person.

Please ensure seed packets are clearly marked with the name, and whether they are heirloom, OP, or hybrids. If you are sending pepper seeds, it would help me a great deal with sorting if you could indicate if the peppers are sweet or hot as many individuals in the last swap had clear preferences. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well.

3. If you send tomato seeds, you will receive tomato seeds in return. The same idea for peppers, unless you include a note indicating you would be interested in receiving back a different combination. You can also send in tomato seeds and ask for pepper seeds in return or visa versa. You could even send in tomato seeds and ask for both peppers and tomatoes back. Any combination you're interested in, will certainly be considered.

4. Please include a list of what you are sending, your wish list if you have one and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me that as well. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees of course. The variety will be completely dependent on what is sent in. Ultimately, you need to view this as a surprise swap. Having said that, in last year's swap, we were able to fill many items on people's wish lists so please take the time to prepare one - it will be worth your while.

5. You will need to mail your seeds along with the correct amount of return postage as follows:

* If you live in Canada - $1.18 return postage stamps
* If you live in the US - $1.24 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)
* If you live outside Canada and US - $2.49 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)

All postage rates can be verified on the Canada Post website. For individuals in the US and International, please ensure your envelope is
no larger than 6.1 x 9.6 inches (156mm x 245mm to stay within this price range). It's important that you send a regular bubble envelope and not the heavy cardboard insulated type. Weight restriction in this price
category is 50g.

For those outside of Canada, you will need to send enough funds to pay for return postage. You can either send cash in the envelope or you could submit payment for postage via Paypal. Please do not send cheques as they cost me more to cash than the cost of postage. Please do not send stamps from your country. They will not work here.

6. If you change your mind after registering, and no longer wish to participate, please please Please notify me immediately so we do not
delay the swap waiting for your seeds to arrive. This will also save me a great deal of time trying to follow up and track people down.

7. I will send you a private message with my mailing address once you have posted here to sign up for this swap.

Any questions. Please let me know. Let's have fun trading!!!!

Thanks……Heather

Quote:
I thought it would be fun if I reserved this spot to keep you up to date on the number of participants.

We have 119 participating in this exchange.

Last edited by hmacdona; November 12, 2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Updated number of participants
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2009   #2
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

I'm interested. Please add me to to the loop...
huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2009   #3
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Great. Glad you decided to join us huntsman. We're up to 14 registrants so far and I'm hoping we'll get to 100 this year (we had 65 last year).

I just sent you a private message with my mailing address. Please let me know if you have any questions.

.....Heather

Last edited by hmacdona; August 17, 2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old August 17, 2009   #4
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Count me in too, please. I don't mind sending in more for those that don't have anything to exchange - like newbies.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2009   #5
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmacdona View Post
Great. Glad you decided to join us huntsman. We're up to 14 registrants so far and I'm hoping we'll get to 100 this year (we had 65 last year).

I just sent you a private message with my mailing address. Please let me know if you have any questions.

.....Heather
No questions as yet, Heather, just want to note that I have more chilli pepper seeds than toms at this point, but I know both are welcome, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Count me in too, please. I don't mind sending in more for those that don't have anything to exchange - like newbies.
Thanks, Z...!
Old August 17, 2009   #6
Robert Brenchley
Tomatovillian™

I'd be interested, more in toms than peppers.
Robert Brenchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2009   #7
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Your chili peppers are definitely welcome here in this exchange. We even have some people sending chilis in and asking for tomato seeds in return or visa versa. It's all good. We'll have enough people and enough variety that we can help you fill out your collections any which way

It was great last year when we had tomato only growers asking me to send them just one hot pepper to try...just one but not too hot...they're just dipping they're feet in so to speak. It's always great when people try to venture outside their typical growing comfort zones.

I won't send you any unwanted surprises though, if you're sending in tomatoes and want to stick with tomatoes..I'll make sure that's what you get.
Old August 18, 2009   #8
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone,

One of the participants is sending some extra eggplant seeds for me to give away as bonuses in this exchange. I didn't want to just give them out randomly as I know that not everyone grows eggplant. I don't know the type of eggplant yet, but will post again when I receive them. Let me know if you want me to slip some of these eggplant seeds in your return envelope when I send your tomato and/or pepper seeds back.

I don't know how many I will be receiving, but I suspect it will be a good size quantity. I will give them out on a first come first serve basis until we run out.

Thanks....Heather

Last edited by hmacdona; August 18, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old August 19, 2009   #9
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

count me in please. I can have some eggplant seeds. I will send in tomato seeds and ask for tomato seeds. Thank you.

Newgardener_tx
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2009   #10
frdmfrc
Tomatovillian™

I'd love to participate too. Thanks for organizing this!

Linda
frdmfrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2009   #11
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Eggplant is jolly welcome - thanks!
Old August 21, 2009   #12
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone,

I'm just heading out for vacation and will be back August 30th. If there are any more questions or signups, I will respond when I'm back.

We're up to 55 participants and I'm sure many more to come.

Have a great weekend everyone.

.....Heather

Last edited by hmacdona; August 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old August 30, 2009   #13
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone.
Got back from vacation a bit early. I've sent my mailing address to everyone that signed up while I was away. If you have not received a message from me, please get back in touch with me.

We're up to 73 participants. Still room for more participants. The more the merrier.

Thanks...Heather
Old August 30, 2009   #14
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

Please count me in too!

Ginny
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2009   #15
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Count me in too. I am a newbie to seed saving this year, but will try to have enough to exchange.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote