Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 2, 2009   #1
bladekeeper
Tomatovillian™

Default This Just Gets Worse Every Year...

In 2007 I did 34 tomatoes. Everyone rolled their eyes at me.

In 2008 I did 86 tomatoes and 9 peppers. People talked behind my back.

This year I have 132 tomatoes, 41 peppers, and 8 eggplants. My family refuses to look me in the eye and NO ONE volunteers conversation on the topic.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00034.jpg (269.2 KB, 410 views)
bladekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2009   #2
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

HA!! And my wife thinks I have problems!!

GREAT picture. Keep us updated!

Sometimes I like it when no one asks questions and I can be left alone!!

Great stuff.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2009   #3
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I hear your pain, Bryan....lol....can totally commiserate. Years ago I went from about 15 to 20 herb pots/containers to more than that, plus about about 15 to 20 tomatoes in pots/containers....to about 40-50 pots/containers of tomatoes, about 10 of beans, about 10 of cukes, about 15 of peppers...to about 75 to 100 pots/containers of tomatoes, about 10-15 beans, about 10-15 cukes, about 25 peppers...and then got shut down this year.

The house is for sale and I have been categorically told that I wasn't allowed to turn the backyard into a god darn jungle. I am allowed to do the flower beds (and I'm not allowed to sneak tomatoes in the flower beds - nor any other veggies). I maybe able to have some pots with herbs for cooking....but probably only a handful. So I put out the word that I was looking for a surrogate garden...since the local community plots tend to be vandalised on a regular basis( I tried it twice on a limited basis and was wiped out completely the second time.). The mother of one of my friends is letting me use her veggie garden area...in exchange for some of the produce and as long as I keep it up, and keep it all totally organic. Should be interesting making the switch after 10 years of container gardening.

But nobody wants to talk to me about growing them...they just want to eat them...lol. Everybody thinks I'm crazy when I talk about them. But frankly, I could care less. There are worse things to be addicted to doing, I'm thinking. LOL And I'd say we're not alone here in Tomatoville. If this was TA instead of AA, I'd be standing I'm an addict and I'm addicted to growing heirlooms! LOL And I'd make no apologies for it or much effort to curb the addiction, if at all humanly possible.

Good luck with your set up. I'd kill for that much space for my containers/pots.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2009   #4
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

I'd say, "Why only 8 eggplants?"

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2009   #5
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Awesome pic there Brian,but I must ask.With that much land ,why not plant some in the ground?
Barryblushes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2009   #6
Bdobs
Tomatovillian™

HOly crapola!! Awsome container setup, but I gotta ask how long it takes you to fill all those in Summer when they are sucking them dry daily?
Doesnt look like you have any sort of automated water setup

Brian
Old June 3, 2009   #7
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the giggle this morning.
WOW, that's a lotta containers!
Old June 3, 2009   #8
clara
Tomatovillian™

Three years ago, I started with 40 - 50 different tomatoes (about 350 seedlings); people couldn't believe it. Last year, I had 160 toms; I myself was thinking that I was going mad having to handle about 600 seedlings. So this year I gave the order to myself to limit the number: 120 varieties (400 seedlings). Now people are asking me: You are sold out?? Why didn't you plant some more? Those who had 5 toms last year now want 10, who had 10 want 20... But nevertheless, I'll try to limit myself even more next year - let the lazybones grow their toms themselves!

Bryan, you containers look pretty good!
clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2009   #9
bladekeeper
Tomatovillian™

Barry, I had that setup in my suburban backyard. Last year I think I saw some Viet Cong trooping through there with AK 47's. It was a Jungle! This year I've borrowed a 1/4 acre from my big sis!

Brian, it should take about 45 minutes to an hour to water in the full summer. I hope. Auto-watering is something I'd like to explore. Then I can just pick and eat. : )

Bryan
bladekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2009   #10
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Bryan, you fit in perfectly here.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2009   #11
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Hi Bryan,

Yes indeed...

Two years ago 12 tomatoes
Last year 19 tomatoes
This year 80 tomatoes, including 30 dwarfs, and 4 basil.

Everybody wants more seedlings... I already gave away more than 200 to relatives, neighbors, people at work, people where my wife works... and I am certain that next year will most certainly be "worse"... after seed is harvested and the word continues to spread...

LOL
TheClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2009   #12
AZRuss
Tomatovillian™

I have 24, twice as many as last year. If I plant any more next year, I will run the serious risk of losing my home in divorce court. Tomato plants, as we know, are not always pretty, and spouse literally despises the "junked up" back yard.
AZRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2009   #13
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

My hubby, admitted tomato hater that he is......asked me nicely to please leave him a few acres for soybeans
He went with me last year to the taste fest for CHOPTAG. He didn't eat a single tomato, but he did admit they were a fun bunch, even if we were tomato nerds LoLoL
Old June 8, 2009   #14
tessa
Tomatovillian™

yup same story over here.
the big hitch tho:
i don't even like tomatoes!
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #15
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Thirty plants in the ground...maybe space for one more...a half dozen or so that I still want to plant, plus a few more small F3s. So I'll have to find space for containers, mostly in the middle of paths. Or else give away the half-dozen or so remaining plants. What to do, what to do...
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote