Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 27, 2009   #1
tequillashotz
Tomatovillian™

Default rubarb problem

I planted a rubard plant last year and this year it seemed to take off really well. now im noticing a whole bunch of wholes in the big leaves as if something is eating it...is there something i can spray on the leaves to stop this from happening?
tequillashotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to Tomatoville, Tequillashotz!

Are the holes just in the leaves or are they in the stalks as well? Is there anything on the underside of the leaves? I suppose it depends upon how long you want to continue harvesting rhubarb this year and whether you want to be more "organic".

You can give them a good blast with the hose. You can try spraying with a mixture of dish soap, cayenne pepper and water to the leaves (top and underside of the leaves). Depending upon what's eating them, that may determine what kind of chemicals you may choose to use. I just remove the stalks and leaves with the holes.....and the leaves go in a yard waste bag to go to the curb, not the compost. But others here may have other better suggestions. Good luck and enjoy your rhubarb!
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009   #3
Amigatec
Tomatovillian™

I thought the leaves are poisonous? Is there something that can eat these leaves?
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009   #4
eddie46
Tomatovillian™

Welcome,

I get the holes when the June Bugs start. I don't do anything and had the rhubarb for 40 years.

Ed
eddie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I agree, since you can't eat the leaves, let the bugs have them.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009   #6
tequillashotz
Tomatovillian™

Default thanks

thanks for youre advice i appreciate it! the holes are in the leaves only I looked to see if i could see any type of bugs but nothing...it seems like the plant is suffering from this though the stalks on the ruhbarb are very thin not like the nice thick stalks you can buy at the stores....or do you guys think that maybe they are thin because this is the first full season for the plant? I will try spraying the leaves with the cayenne pepper solution and see if that helps!
tequillashotz is offline   Reply With Quote