Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 9, 2009   #1
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Default Old seed starting mix question

I didn't weigh in much on the seed germination/crushed seed syndrome threads because I think I have another variable. I know for a fact that I have a problem with crushes seeds, but I also think I have a problem with my Pro-Mix seed starter mix.

In the winter of 2007 the local HD was selling out their inventory of Pro-Mix for half price. I thought I scored a little bit of gem and bought 4 bales.

Now, because of germination problems, only some of which can be attributed to crushed seeds, I'm thinking I spent my money foolishly. And, I still have two bales left.

Do seed starting mediums go bad, and why, those are my questions?
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009   #2
salix
Tomatovillian™

I've used old potting mix (3 or 4 years old) with no problem. So far, no problems, she sez touching wood...

It is kept clean and dry under cover in an unheated garage. Can't think of any reason why any of the ingredients would go bad - they are pretty much inert.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

What are the ingredients?

It's possible that it may have gotten too wet or too dry, but in either case, you would have noticed it.

If it got too wet, it may have gone anaerobic, but if so it would smell bad.

If it got too dry, you would have noticed that the water does not penetrate well (needs some surfactant, such as a very dilute soap solution).
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009   #4
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. The Pro-Mix is dry, stored in my basement, not foul smelling and I always pre-soak the mix the day before I use it.

I thought the mix might be a variable because of low germ rates for some commercially purchased varieties. Hopefully just a fluke this year. Thanks again.

Last edited by neoguy; May 10, 2009 at 06:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 10, 2009   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Years ago when I bought commercial seed, I could buy a larger size pack and use it for at least 5 years. I actually have a couple of varieties that are 10-15 years old and still germinate enough for me to compare those seeds with my own saved seeds.

But that was about 15-20 years ago.

The last 10 years or so, some of the seed I've gotten from the "big guys" has had good germination for only a year or 2.

If you ever noticed, seed no longer says "grown for xxxx year", it's always "PACKED for xxxx year". I believe plenty of seed now days is "old" to start with. Just another reason having just a few multinational huge seed growing companies is dangerous to seed health. And a good reason for SSE and all groups like TV that save and trade seeds on their own.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009   #6
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Pro-Mix have several different products? Which one do you have? They have different combinations of bioactive ingredients, and some of those bioactive ingredients have a limited shelf life. Some will degrade if not stored properly, and you don't know how the store was storing the bales before you bought them.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009   #7
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

We have historically used vermicompost to top-dress seeds (had a rough winter and need to get the bins restarted!) and used a few rabbit pellets in the top layer of mix this year and had some good germination.

A little doo will do ya
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009   #8
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

*groan*

However, at the risk of encouraging you, I have to agree.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009   #9
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Pro-Mix have several different products? Which one do you have? They have different combinations of bioactive ingredients, and some of those bioactive ingredients have a limited shelf life. Some will degrade if not stored properly, and you don't know how the store was storing the bales before you bought them.

You're correct, this is the one I'm using, Pro-Mix for Potting. I've included a link to the product, if you read through the description you'll see seed starting with this medium is one of the recommended uses and it does state that on the packaging of bales I have remaining.

http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/G...fGardening.htm

As far as the commercial seeds, they were purchased this year, vendor will remain nameless. after looking at my notes it's really only one variety I had major problems with, Ukrainian Heart. At least I have one try.

1 of 6 from first sowing
0 of 6 from second sowing

I did send email to the vendor just as a heads up.

Thanks for the replies.