Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 22, 2017   #181
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

I got Mayo's delight in the swap. I really want to try it out but don't have room this year. I will carefully store the seeds and hope they are viable next year. I'm a fan of hearts, too. But Wes and Russian 117 won the popularity contest this year.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #182
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I grew Ron's CC in the ground. They were 9 feet tall. Need big cage/staking/lots of space to sprawl. I did not trim it and it became huge. The taste was great so I let it grow wild.
Ok. Thanks for letting me know I may have to tame a monster. I wil put RCC in the ground.

The two pastes and SunSugar will go in containers. Any advice on Jaune Flammee, Blush, or Verde Claro?

Last edited by MuddyToes; February 22, 2017 at 10:34 PM.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #183
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
I got Mayo's delight in the swap. I really want to try it out but don't have room this year. I will carefully store the seeds and hope they are viable next year. I'm a fan of hearts, too. But Wes and Russian 117 won the popularity contest this year.
I'm sure they will be fine. Tomato seeds store very well and remain viable for years.

KarrnO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #184
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Karen- have you grown Sgt. Peppers? It has great reviews on Xanadu and is just so cool looking with the antho shoulders! I've got a few of these puppies germinating now, thanks to Marsha
I'm not Karen but I have grown it for 2 seasons now. It's beautiful, prolific and all my neighbors all love it and request it. Its definitely a conversation starter also. A little on the sweet side but not too sweet.

Here's a picture of one I grew.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #185
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

That is Gorgeous with a capital G!
I have seeds but have not grown it yet. I will though
KarenO
Old February 23, 2017   #186
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Great List, I really like hearts too! Is it Mayo's delight? A really great tomato that should be better known i think. One of my favorites and did well in my northern garden in Canada.( If you got the seed from the MMMM swap it might even have come from my garden) That idea makes me happy.
I hope you have a great year and lots of beautiful heart shaped tomatoes!

KarenO
Maya's delight is a beautiful large tomato which tasted me much. The best of the new tomatoes which I grew last year. Yes , I got the seeds from MMMM swap 2014. Tormato sent me more than thirty heart of tomatoes. Maya's delight I grew until in 2016, because I didn´t find any information about him on the Internet. Thank you KarenO and Tormato.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #187
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
I'm not Karen but I have grown it for 2 seasons now. It's beautiful, prolific and all my neighbors all love it and request it. Its definitely a conversation starter also. A little on the sweet side but not too sweet.

Here's a picture of one I grew.

Ginny
OOOOOhhhh me likey! I've got three of them sowed

Thanks Fiishergurl! I read all about it over on Xanadu and it has quite the history. We are now at what, F8 or F9?
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #188
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I was excited for this one but I had 0 germination. Oddly 2 of the varieties I was most looking forward to didn't germinate. Maybe next year.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #189
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
GGWT and SunGold should be on every top ten list.

Last week, the weekend before the Thanksgiving holiday, with 2 inches of snow accumulating, i tossed four 5 gallon pots of not-so-ratty but un-attended tomato containers into the potting shed...a rinky dink 'greenhouse' that just stores soils and such to keep it all out of the garage. And dry. It gets some sun now that leaves have fallen.

With my phones flashlight this morning i picked and enjoyed a dozen SunGold, November 29th, !!

Well, I was not sure if I would grow GGWT this year or next, but you convinced me.
I will start some seeds that I received from Marsha last year.

Here's my list
Cherries:
Red Robin(sample seed shop)
Sweet Quartz F1 (TGS)
Sun Sugar F1 (Totally Tomatoes)
Super Sweet 100's (2008 seed)
Isis Candy (SSE)
Polish Dwarf (bonus seed from sample seed shop)
Cherry Roma (trade)
Black Cherry seed saved from last year.
Green Tiger, still waiting on seed from Artisan.

Bear Claw (tatianna's)
Lucid Gem (Baker Creek)
Sheryl's Portugese Red Heart (sheryl)
GGWT (Marsha)
Mckinley ( Darlene)
Maglia Rosa, still waiting on seed from Artisan.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #190
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I was excited for this one but I had 0 germination. Oddly 2 of the varieties I was most looking forward to didn't germinate. Maybe next year.
You mean Sgt. Peppers? From seeds you got from me? I would like to do a germination test on them if so. Please let me know.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #191
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Maya's delight is a beautiful large tomato which tasted me much. The best of the new tomatoes which I grew last year. Yes , I got the seeds from MMMM swap 2014. Tormato sent me more than thirty heart of tomatoes. Maya's delight I grew until in 2016, because I didn´t find any information about him on the Internet. Thank you KarenO and Tormato.
Vladimír
Try looking it up with the spelling Mayo's Delight. (The O at the end of Mayo's not an a) I got my original seed from Tatiana's so she has information on her tomatobase. I have sent it in to the swap a few times and It really does make me happy to think that a little bit of my garden made it all the way to you so far away!. Gary's swap is wonderful indeed!

KarenO
Old February 23, 2017   #192
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
You mean Sgt. Peppers? From seeds you got from me? I would like to do a germination test on them if so. Please let me know.
Marsha- I just planted 4 SGTPeppers (from you) today, I'll let you know how it goes!

So far, after 9 days, I am only 6/16 on the DLH seeds The six that came up did so within 3-4 days. We'll see!
Old February 23, 2017   #193
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Marsha- I just planted 4 SGTPeppers (from you) today, I'll let you know how it goes!

So far, after 9 days, I am only 6/16 on the DLH seeds The six that came up did so within 3-4 days. We'll see!
Darrin, yours, or the ones from Dutch?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #194
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Yes, from Dutch. I think I may be keeping them too moist, so we'll see. And one of the six appears to be PL, so that may be something .

What is your germination test? Perhaps I can get some others started. Thanks!

Darin

Last edited by Spartanburg123; February 23, 2017 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Did not answer question
Old February 23, 2017   #195
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yes Marsha from you. I still had about 5 seeds left so I planted them today.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote