Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2017   #166
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
What's so cool to me is seeing these grow lists, and who they got the seeds from, and knowing that if you go back a few donors, lots of them were from me. Payin it forward. Love it.
Absolutely! I for one thank you for not only distributing my seeds, but exposing me to new varieties that might be difficult to obtain otherwise. A few years back, you included Rebel Yell in my seed list as a "must grow" variety, and boy were you right! GGWT has also been a real delight in my garden, thanks to seed shared by you. Thanks Marsha!!

Darin
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #167
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

I am also too lazy to keep typing out my revised lists everyday.
Well, lazy no more.

My first batch of 14 varieties are growing under light. They already have 3 true leaves.
My send batch will have to wait until late February . They are

AUNT RUBY'S GG
COEUR DE BOEUF
CREOLE
CUOSTRALEE
DIXIE GOLDEN GIANT
DOTSON'S LEBANESE HEART
ESTERINA F2
FRANCHI
GERMAN PINK
GEORGE DETSIKAS IR
GOLDEN JUBILEE
GREEN COPIA
INDIGO CHERRY DROP
INDIAN STRIPE PL
OLD GERMAN
PRUDENS PURPLE
SUPER SIOUX
TIGER GRAPE
(my naming)

There it is : 18 varieties. I cut back by 5.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #168
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(To have it be called OLH, aka DLH, is not my wish- once again.)

Darin, I know what your wish is. But not everyone agreed with you.

If I had been naming it for my own mother I would have referred to it as Elsie's LH,or my grandmother, Martha's LH, but obviously I didn't and wouldn't do that for several reasons.

I didn't send seeds for it to Tania, I haven't gotten around to that yet, still so far behind with the seed offer, Tania's site is down right now, so can't see what info was given to her,when it is up I certainly will see what background info was given.

Just thinking about this, but Tania has first rights to anything in my seed offers, and does make selections, she also is a listed SSE member and gets varieties from there as well,and since 4 of my 7 seed producers are also SSE listed members, they can and do list varieties they initially got from me that I got from many different folks in many different countries,including the US.

The only times I have ever sent seeds to Tania directly is when she's grown out varieties that aren't true for the variety and she's asked if I have any seeds for those varieties that I can share with her,and I do.

You know sometimes it's good to be an old lady, as I am, who keeps old seeds forever.

Carolyn, who has 42 varieties on the spreadsheet of new ones that were grown out this past summer by her seed producers, and that doesn't include many that are sent to her directly as already processed seeds ready to go.. Would I send those to Tania? Nope,she has a large backlog as it is.

I feel no need at all to promote any varieties whose seeds come to me since it's the worth of a variety as grown by others that I think is important. As always, as is oft said here.....,your mileage may vary and.......one person's spitter is another person's treasured variety/
Old February 9, 2017   #169
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

These are all right here within reach. I have more peppers and tomatoes to sort though.

Misc:
Purple Top Turnip
White Egg Turnip
Ruby Queen Beet
Silver Queen Corn
Cabbage (flat Dutch)
Broccoli (Goliath)
Carrots (Rainbow and ???)
Melons (watermelon? and Minnesota midget)
Straight 8 Cucumbers
Onions (still choosing)
Garlic [fall planted]: (Ajo Rojo, Music and some gifted to me???)

Flowers:
Zinnia
Sun Flowers (Mexican red/yellow/orange, mammoth)
Sweet William

Peppers:
Urfa
Aleppo
Chinese Giant Bell
Aconcaqua
Jalapeno
Orange habanero
banana
Cubanelle

Beans:
King of the Garden Lima
Ky Wonder
Golden Wax
Landreth Green
Rattlesnake Pole
Chinese Red Noodle
Good Mother Stallard Pole
Calypso
Cherokee Trail of Tears
Tiger's Eye
Ela Speckled Butter Beans

Peas:
Wando
Premium

Tomatoes:
Orange Russian #117
GGWT
Peardrop
Pinocchio Orange
Vilma
Spike' Red Belly Button
Spike
Buckbee's Abraham Lincoln

This is what happens when I no longer have my beloved Old Uncles to squash me . . . OMG Zucchini also . . .
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #170
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
(To have it be called OLH, aka DLH, is not my wish- once again.)

Darin, I know what your wish is. But not everyone agreed with you.

If I had been naming it for my own mother I would have referred to it as Elsie's LH,or my grandmother, Martha's LH, but obviously I didn't and wouldn't do that for several reasons.

I didn't send seeds for it to Tania, I haven't gotten around to that yet, still so far behind with the seed offer, Tania's site is down right now, so can't see what info was given to her,when it is up I certainly will see what background info was given.

Just thinking about this, but Tania has first rights to anything in my seed offers, and does make selections, she also is a listed SSE member and gets varieties from there as well,and since 4 of my 7 seed producers are also SSE listed members, they can and do list varieties they initially got from me that I got from many different folks in many different countries,including the US.

The only times I have ever sent seeds to Tania directly is when she's grown out varieties that aren't true for the variety and she's asked if I have any seeds for those varieties that I can share with her,and I do.

You know sometimes it's good to be an old lady, as I am, who keeps old seeds forever.

Carolyn, who has 42 varieties on the spreadsheet of new ones that were grown out this past summer by her seed producers, and that doesn't include many that are sent to her directly as already processed seeds ready to go.. Would I send those to Tania? Nope,she has a large backlog as it is.

I feel no need at all to promote any varieties whose seeds come to me since it's the worth of a variety as grown by others that I think is important. As always, as is oft said here.....,your mileage may vary and.......one person's spitter is another person's treasured variety/
Tania's site is now up and Darin, this is what I read that you told her to include as history

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...Lebanese_Heart

Carolyn
Old February 9, 2017   #171
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

[It must be spring, Mojo has reappeared]

Last year was a total disaster: ZERO picked. The May hailstorm in Houston cost me my crop and my roof. This year, I consciously decided to include a fair number of mass hybrids just to have something I know would give me giveaways.

Champion II
Black Krim
Giallo de Summer
Russian Persimmon
Pork Chop (Wild Boar)
Comstock
Gulf State Market
American Original Beefsteak
Italian Goliath
Cherokee Purple
Serendipity --and here I require assistance. Believe it or not, these are seeds from the 2011 SETTFest, where it even beat out ATKINSON! for best-tasting-by-consensus (IIRC). But they came out half RL and half PL. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
Old February 16, 2017   #172
ilex
Tomatovillian™

First batch ... more to follow (c - means "de colgar"):

Amarillo de Ladruñan
C – 100
C – 100 en pom de La Ribera
C – Alacon
C – Albalar
C – Alt Emporda
C – Arañuel
C – blanco de Ibiza
C – CS 3
C – Ginestar
C – Montan
C – Pinxo de Barrina
C – Sant Llorens
C – Son Sardina
C – Venus
C – Villafranca
C – Villagonzalo
c- frances de urraca
c- Mugro
Carabajo
Casas Altas
Castielfiabib
Cheste
Corazon verde
Cuarentena
Damaso de Segorbe
Extremeño de pezon
Gigante de Alcora
Gigante de Segorbe
Iriepar
La Mora
Morado de Alcora
Morado de Olba
Muskiz
Negro del Bierzo
Pera de Olba
Piñel gigante rojo
Rosa de Almazora
Rosa de Ayerbe
Tapa de puchero
Valenciano chafau de Segorbe
Valenciano de caratren
Valenciano de la Nuria
Valenciano de Ludiente
Valenciano de Onda
Valenciano de Ontinyent
Valenciano de Ramon de Segorbe
Valenciano de Segorbe
Valenciano gordo de Segorbe
Valenciano rosa de Segorbe
Verdal
Verde doncella
Vicente ton de Segorbe
Xodos de enramar
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #173
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Default What will do ok in a container?

Tomatoes:
Russian 117
Wes
Dwarf Purple Heart
Kellogg's West Virginia
Jaune Flammee
Blush
Verde Claro
Earl of Edgecombe
Ron's Carbon Copy
Sun Sugar
Bernandini Paste
Heidi
Mini Gold

So I only have room in ground for 3 or 4 tomatoes. Other than the DPH, KWV and MG, which would be most suitable for containers? I have 5 gallon buckets and 7 and 10 gallon grow bags. I am thinking of putting the Russian 117 and Wes in the ground. I don't know anything about the growth habit of Verde Claro, Blush, or Jaune Flammee. Any comments on whether these are sturdy, compact, wispy, leggy, etc? How tall were your vines?
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #174
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
Tomatoes:

Russian 117

Wes

Dwarf Purple Heart

Kellogg's West Virginia

Jaune Flammee

Blush

Verde Claro

Earl of Edgecombe

Ron's Carbon Copy

Sun Sugar

Bernandini Paste

Heidi

Mini Gold

So I only have room in ground for 3 or 4 tomatoes. Other than the DPH, KWV and MG, which would be most suitable for containers? I have 5 gallon buckets and 7 and 10 gallon grow bags. I am thinking of putting the Russian 117 and Wes in the ground. I don't know anything about the growth habit of Verde Claro, Blush, or Jaune Flammee. Any comments on whether these are sturdy, compact, wispy, leggy, etc? How tall were your vines?

Heidi grows great in a container. I used 5 gallon grow bags and had plants loaded with tomatoes.

Wes and Russian 117 were very large plants when I grew them in ground. Unless you hear that any of your other varieties grow to monster size, then yes, put these two in the ground.

I have no experience with any of the others.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #175
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I grew Ron's CC in the ground. They were 9 feet tall. Need big cage/staking/lots of space to sprawl. I did not trim it and it became huge. The taste was great so I let it grow wild.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #176
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
Tomatoes:
Russian 117
Wes
Dwarf Purple Heart
Kellogg's West Virginia
Jaune Flammee
Blush
Verde Claro
Earl of Edgecombe
Ron's Carbon Copy
Sun Sugar
Bernandini Paste
Heidi
Mini Gold

I grew sun sugar in my earthboxes. Didn't prune. It grew to about 5ft with good productivity. Not sure how it will do in the buckets and grow bags, but it does do well in a container.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #177
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

So I checked out my seed stash that wasn't sitting on my desk and found many wonderful seeds that were shared with me to add to my list . . . I am needing more tubs and garden space lol.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #178
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

For this year I chose this heart-shaped tomatoes: Orange Russian 117, Orange Strawberry, Maya´s delight, Herodes. Kukula´s Portuguese Heart, Fresa, Alice, Brad´s Black Heart and Ludmila´s Pink Heart. Two plants from each variety.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #179
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
For this year I chose this heart-shaped tomatoes: Orange Russian 117, Orange Strawberry, Maya´s delight, Herodes. Kukula´s Portuguese Heart, Fresa, Alice, Brad´s Black Heart and Ludmila´s Pink Heart. Two plants from each variety.
Vladimír
Great List, I really like hearts too! Is it Mayo's delight? A really great tomato that should be better known i think. One of my favorites and did well in my northern garden in Canada.( If you got the seed from the MMMM swap it might even have come from my garden) That idea makes me happy.
I hope you have a great year and lots of beautiful heart shaped tomatoes!

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #180
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Great List, I really like hearts too! Is it Mayo's delight? A really great tomato that should be better known i think. One of my favorites and did well in my northern garden in Canada.( If you got the seed from the MMMM swap it might even have come from my garden) That idea makes me happy.
I hope you have a great year and lots of beautiful heart shaped tomatoes!

KarenO
Karen- have you grown Sgt. Peppers? It has great reviews on Xanadu and is just so cool looking with the antho shoulders! I've got a few of these puppies germinating now, thanks to Marsha
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote