Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 3, 2017   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
So, to summarize, nobody knows Pruden (or Prudence for that matter) and the tomato ain't purple (pink right?), but it sure is tasty.

Anyway, it did fine from seed for me so I will be growing it for the first time this year. Excited to try it.

Please see post #13 above.

In the 2017 SSE Yearbook

Al Anderson lists it as Prudence Purple saying that Gary Milllwood said that was the original name That is not correct.He also double listed it as Prudens Purple

SSE itself lists it as Pruden's Purple, True variety, seeds from Garrett Pittinger from ONT,Canada

In the 2016 yearbook an SSE member from Ohio first listed it as True Variety and said the source was SSE itself in 2011 (note the date).

Here's my impression which I've posted here before.

When a variety has not been listed for many years, SSE will get it out of storage , from seed we were asked to provide way back,and list it themselves, and I know that since a few times it's been one that I initially listed.

By SSE doing it it ups their total listings in a yearbook which means money back to them, since they still abide by the orignal cost of seeds, which after a palace revolt, they agreed to let individual listed members set their own request prices.

For many years SSE itself has been THE largest lister of everything in the Annual yearbooks, not just tomatoes, although the tomato section is the largest in the Yearbooks..

Carolyn, who hopes the above clarifies the issue for you.
Old May 3, 2017   #17
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

It is a great tomato. I grow it yearly. Not the greatest taste for me but it is very productive and lots of folks love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1438291034443.jpg (30.8 KB, 102 views)
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #18
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

I was just being a bit silly Carolyn. Just pointing out that it appears no one knows who the Pruden it was named after is, and that it's not even purple.

Great info though, thanks.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #19
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Finally, a year later I am growing it; I call is PRUDEN'S PURPLE.
One plant is next to IS PL. PP is way behind in producing fruits. But maybe it is IS PL that is exceptional. That is right. In the whole row IS PL is the leader. But it is too early in the season to make a conclusion .

Quote:
getting close to topping the 5 foot CRW cage! Wow! Prudens loves Virginia!
That is big . Mine are not that tall but are very healthy and strong with thick stem.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #20
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing IS PL too- but grafted ones - so they are a couple weeks behind Prudens due to healing time.

I had some Prudens backup plants that I was going to give away but they looked so good I found a spot for them! I'm growing a number of "frilly" varieties that always look half-way sick. Makes me appreciate Prudens more.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #21
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
I'm growing IS PL too- but grafted ones - so they are a couple weeks behind Prudens due to healing time.

I had some Prudens backup plants that I was going to give away but they looked so good I found a spot for them! I'm growing a number of "frilly" varieties that always look half-way sick. Makes me appreciate Prudens more.
I have few sicky ones : One was Ceour De Beuf. ( I pulled it)
Another one is Franchi. I will let it be there for now. The second one of the same is ok
BTW: I have 3 PP.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #22
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Prudens Purple is a huge showoff in my garden this year - thick stems, plenty of blooms, and getting close to topping the 5 foot CRW cage! Wow! Prudens loves Virginia!

Thanks to Tormato for the MMMM swap where I got the seeds.
5' already?.. That is impressive. I have 2 in the ground nearing 3 feet that look great and 2 still in pots that I am trying to find a home for.
Old May 4, 2017   #23
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I've got 2 of them growing this year due to the kind people here @Tomatoville
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #24
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

I transplanted one to an earthbox last night. I'm only planting one, and it was hard to choose, because they all looked strong and healthy. I'm looking forward to them!
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #25
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I am growing this year as well, b54red recommended as a variety that can handle the heat and humidity better than some others. Thanks Bill!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #26
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjr View Post
5' already?.. That is impressive. I have 2 in the ground nearing 3 feet that look great and 2 still in pots that I am trying to find a home for.
I started the seeds at the same time as most of the others. The PP seedlings really took off. I planted the first one out early this year in a wall of water. Our last frost must have been a month earlier than normal.

The PP got huge! Most of my plants are string and lower so I'll have plenty of room to move them - not sure where the cage tomatoes will end up by the end of summer!

prudens.JPG
prudens flower.JPG
prudens cage.JPG
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote