Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2016   #46
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I got seeds from Tatiana, unfortunately she does not offer them this year.
We will have to collect seeds.
Likety like like like!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #47
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I have to buy (organic) cilantro because my rabbits love it and it's good for them. But the moment I handle it a weird achy pain washes over my face and I can hardly wait to get away from the smell and to wash my hands. I can't imagine eating it. I don't smell soap, just the strange painful hit-in-the-face stink.
The scent you're getting but can't place? Dirty dishwater.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #48
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
The original strain of Cosmonaut Volkov is very flavorful.

It was bred by the former space engineer Igor Maslov from Moscow region (USSR) and named after his friend cosmonaut Vladislav Volkov died while landing of Soviet Soyuz-11 spaceship lander in 1971 (due to depressurization of the spaceship).
It has been my belief for a while that there is more than one version floating around.

I've seen one that is labeled "Cosmonaut Volkov Red" that is fluted. I was not impressed.

There is a smooth version that produced well and was quite tasty. Somehow I ended up with both varieties last year.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #49
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I am very excited about my cosmonaut volkov this year.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #50
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

There at least 3 strains of it as far as I know. All are with red fruit. First is with slightly ribbed large beefy fruit, second - with large flattend lmost without flutes and the third is with blocky elongated fruit which less in size.
The first one usually called original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
It has been my belief for a while that there is more than one version floating around.

I've seen one that is labeled "Cosmonaut Volkov Red" that is fluted. I was not impressed.

There is a smooth version that produced well and was quite tasty. Somehow I ended up with both varieties last year.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #51
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I found Neves Azorean Red to taste like carrots. Guess it's just me though, never seen anyone mentioning this.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2016   #52
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default Caarmello

I find that Carmello has a unique taste. It is still tomatoey but not exactly. It is pleasant and very productive and disease resistant, but does taste a little different, Undescribable really. Every one who tasted it liked it but all said it was different than the usual tomato taste.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2016   #53
Kongobongo
Tomatovillian™

I haven't even come close to the number of varieties that people here have grown but so far Brandywine has the most unique taste for me.The richest tasting tomato I have ever tried.I'm hooked forsure.
Old September 4, 2016   #54
tedln

The first time I tasted a Black Krim, I didn't like the texture; but the taste was great. I thought I could detect a smoky flavor but couldn't decide if I was only imagining it. I gave some to our daughter and asked her to eat them and tell me what she thought. She came back and said they were very good and she could detect a smoky scent in them.

Ted
Old September 5, 2016   #55
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
The first time I tasted a Black Krim, I didn't like the texture; but the taste was great. I thought I could detect a smoky flavor but couldn't decide if I was only imagining it. I gave some to our daughter and asked her to eat them and tell me what she thought. She came back and said they were very good and she could detect a smoky scent in them.

Ted
I think the "smokey" taste perception come from the visual appearance of black tomatoes that look as if "smoked" and got dark.
But I think dark/black tomatoes have a creamy texture and when over ripe can be mushy. JMO

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2016   #56
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had a Black Brandywine a few years ago that smelled like a sweaty horse. From reading other posts about that variety, I get the feeling there are more than one Black Brandywine out there.

Violet Jasper was like a mouthful of sand, worst tomato I ever had.

Cherokee Green is a favorite GWR of mine, but mine turned yellow when ripe. It tasted like a yellow with a good zing to it.

Malachite Box, Esmerelda Golosina, and Green Doctor's Frosted are the sweetest tomatoes I have grown, all GWR. Ambrosia Red is the sweetest red cherry I have had. Wherowkai and Lucky Cross also get a nod for over-the-top sweetness.

Bosque Blue Bumble Bee is a blue-on-yellow that has a nice, sweet, mild taste to it. It's a saladette. Ambrosia Cream tastes the same, but it is a much smaller cherry. I also enjoyed Yamali Yellow, another blue-on-yellow. It has a more pronounced sweetness, less mild than the other two.

Gribovski has the strongest acidic bite to it. It's a red saladette.

Uluru Ochre is, from what I understand, the first orange/black tomato cross, and it is certainly unique. Other orange tomatoes are sweet, but lack acidity to the flavor. This is the first orange I've had that has both sweetness and acidity. It is very unique. The fruit look like orange tomatoes that have been kicked down a few flights of steps.

My best red this year was Mat-Su Express, from AKMark. Cosmonaut Volkov retained a place on the team again. Of two other favorites, I thought 100 Pudov was pink and Bradley was red. Officially, it appears to be the opposite. Bradley has been my best example of "old-time" tomato flavor, just delicious.

I'm going to make up my own classification here...call it "dry-farmed red." I had a Chinese variety last year called Peiping Chieh. It was a horrible tomato to grow, at least in the high tunnel. Every fruit got cat-facing, as well as BER, and I think the BER came from the required frequent watering in the high tunnel environment. Two months after I had given up on the garden, I was pulling out plants, and noticed a few nice fruit on the Peiping Chieh. They were some of the best red tomatoes I ever tried, with a concentrated 'dry-farmed' flavor. They spent two late summer months under plastic in a high tunnel with no irrigation at all. If anyone is into dry-farming, this is the tomato for you.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2016   #57
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I had a Black Brandywine a few years ago that smelled like a sweaty horse. From reading other posts about that variety, I get the feeling there are more than one Black Brandywine out there.

&&&&&&&&

There certainly is/are,more than one BB out there,I'll try to explain,without fetching Tania links since several of us knew about this before she did.

Lind at TGS was having seed production done at Seeds by Design in CA,there was a cross pollination between a black she had not sent and I think Brandywine,and I don't think the other parent was known.

I fetched Tania's thread since I wondered if she knew the other parent,and she didn't.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...,_Regular_Leaf

Linda offered it in her catalog and online but it turned out to be not stable,and I remember Craig L saying one kind of fruits were a bag of seeds,and we agreed,the other fruits looked something like Black From Tula.

Linda ASAP pulled it from her offers,but some already had it and who knows what they did with it,passing what along in seed swaps,,seed offers,etc.

Then along came what was called True Black Brandywine,created by Will Weaver,and if you look in the legacy Forum you'll see a somewhat scathing review of that,as well as some like Tom Wagner,saying it was possible.

Tania's page for it

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ack_Brandywine

But if you want the comments please go to the Legacy Forum and read.

So yes,who knows by now how many different versions are out there,no way to know.Introduce something unstable, and there you go.

Carolyn
Old September 6, 2016   #58
charline
Tomatovillian™

cole robbie: try violet jasper when it is slightly under ripe. I didnt like it too, but then tried every stage of ripeness and underripe is the only way it tastes good. Very ripe = horrible....
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2016   #59
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

For a small tomato (tiny, really) Russian Mini Yellow has a unique, super-sweet, almost universally loved flavor, at least among those I have offered it to. Among the others, it seems to vary from year to year, though Wes, a big red heart, has continued to stand out. Rosella Purple, one of the dwarfs from the project, was knee-bucklingly delicious this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old September 10, 2016   #60
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
For a small tomato (tiny, really) Russian Mini Yellow has a unique, super-sweet, almost universally loved flavor, at least among those I have offered it to. Among the others, it seems to vary from year to year, though Wes, a big red heart, has continued to stand out. Rosella Purple, one of the dwarfs from the project, was knee-bucklingly delicious this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I also love Russian Mini-Yellow and I think I still have lots of seeds for it from prior seed offers,can't remember how old now,sent to me by Robin.

And here's where she got it from,look somewhere in the 60's posts for her explanation of where she got it from.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=26691

Carolyn

Tags
flavor , profile , tasting , unique