Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 5, 2016   #46
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Big Beef & Big Boy for me.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #47
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahYates View Post
In my very limited experience Pink Girl has been a great hybrid.
Agreed that Pink Girl F1 (76 DTM) is excellent, but just a bit too late for my short season. My primary pink hybrids are Ultra Pink F1 (64 DTM) and Steak Sandwich F1 (70 DTM), both of which are very good.

There are lots of of really good Russian pinks - check them out here: http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...:Pink_Tomatoes
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #48
shule1

I haven't grown most of them, and I don't know how well any of them tolerate wet conditions, but some hybrids that I think might be interesting to grow include these:

* Chef's Choice Pink F1 (AAS award; F, A, N, TMV, Crack and Scab—it is supposed to be anthracnose-tolerant, whether or not that's what the A stands for; anthracnose can cause fruit rot—there are only a few known tolerant tomatoes)
* Gurney Girl's Best F1 (VFFTTyTsw. 75 days. Gurney's talks this tomato up a lot.)
* Heatwave II F1 (VFASt; 68 days)
* Tycoon (I don't really know if this is a hybrid, but it's disease-resistant enough to be one: VFNTSWV; 80 days)
* Beefmaster F1 (Alternaria Alternata (Crown Wilt), Fusarium Wilt Race 1, Root-Knot Nematodes, Stemphylium (Gray Leaf Spot), Verticillium Wilt; 80 days)
* Early Girl VFF F1 (I like and have tried Early Girl (not sure if it was the VFF version), but I'm not sure how it performs in Pennsylvania.)
* Celebrity F1
* Fourth of July F1
* Juliet F1
* Pink Girl F1
* Celebration F1
* Big Beef F1
* Brandy Boy F1
* Big Boy F1
* Park's Whopper CR Improved F1
* Red Brandymaster F1
* Pink Brandymaster F1

Even though it's not a hybrid, Napa Giant looks like a great, productive tomato. You can get a lot of pounds of fruit off of it. It's a selection from Mortgage Lifter that is larger.

For open-pollinated tomatoes that it sounds like withstood a hot, very wet year in Florida, see the first post in this thread.

Last edited by shule1; February 9, 2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old February 10, 2016   #49
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just made my Johnny's order: Taxi (op), Marbonne F1, and Chef's Choice Orange F1, which is on back-order until mid-March.

My expensive hybrid seed throw-down battle of the year will be Rebelski v Marbonne.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #50
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Ordered Momotaro yesterday, also some rootstock and clips for comparing grafted heirlooms. It's about to get real.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #51
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have found that Momotaro just takes some time to get going, but they do produce good for me throughout the season.
I am trying Marbonne this year too, looks like another year of juggling new varieties, about 75 or so. I guess its human nature to wonder whats around the next corner, over the hill, or how good the taste of an unknown tomato is. lol
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #52
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

+1 for Momotaro. Only hybrid I've grown in the last 13 or 14 years and it has produced an abundance of very good tasting tomatoes in most every one of those years.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #53
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Everyone in household loved Odoriko. This year doing Momotaro and Odoriko, Rebelskin marbone. Sekai ichi too for reference, OP.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #54
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
* Tycoon (I don't really know if this is a hybrid, but it's disease-resistant enough to be one: VFNTSWV; 80 days)
Yes, Tycoon is a hybrid! It's a 2014 Texas Superstar determinant variety that is resistant to nematodes, tomato yellow leaf curl virus, verticillium and fusarium I and II, and tomato spotted wilt virus. This is my second year growing it in a container and I'm pretty happy with it. I didn't get to taste much of the fruit last year due to birds and stinkbugs, but what I did taste was pleasing and had a good sugar to acid ratio. It's known for setting fruit well in high temps which is important for our area, but I'm not sure how it deals with wet conditions as my patio is covered. More info: http://www.texassuperstar.com/plants...oon/index.html
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #55
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
Yes, Tycoon is a hybrid! It's a 2014 Texas Superstar determinant variety that is resistant to nematodes, tomato yellow leaf curl virus, verticillium and fusarium I and II, and tomato spotted wilt virus. This is my second year growing it in a container and I'm pretty happy with it. I didn't get to taste much of the fruit last year due to birds and stinkbugs, but what I did taste was pleasing and had a good sugar to acid ratio. It's known for setting fruit well in high temps which is important for our area, but I'm not sure how it deals with wet conditions as my patio is covered. More info: http://www.texassuperstar.com/plants...oon/index.html
Awesome. How do you know it's a hybrid? I've seen conflicting information on it. So, that's why I ask.
Old March 22, 2016   #56
shule1

And, by hybrid, do you mean an F1 hybrid or a stabilized cross?
Old March 22, 2016   #57
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
I see no evidence that it's an F1 hybrId and checked almost all the links in this Google search

https://www.google.com/search?q=tyco..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

And I do wish,now a general comment,that vendors would STOP saying that this or that variety is resistant,b/c that's not true at all and implies 100% resistant,the word to use is tolerant.

And all of this came out many years ago when some commercial farmers bought lots of seed,thinking that it was resistant to this or that disease and it wasn't,so sued the company successfully and the tomato industry was supposed to be using the word tolerant in the future,but they didn't.

I once had an excellent link to that lawsuit,but its been a dead link for many years.

Carolyn
Old March 23, 2016   #58
shule1

@Carolyn

Thanks. That's good to know that resistant and tolerant aren't legally considered synonymous. I emailed the company and another company that sells the seeds to see what they have to say on whether it's an F1 hybrid or open-pollinated. So, hopefully they'll reply with the answer.
Old March 23, 2016   #59
shule1

@Carolyn @TexasTycoon

I got my responses from the company. Two people from the company (David Rodriguez and Larry Stein) confirmed that it is an F1 hybrid. So, TexasTycoon, it seems you're right.