Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Favorite red or pink hybrids (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39278)

uno January 7, 2016 01:22 PM

Favorite red or pink hybrids

I'm looking to give a few hybrids a try this season. I usually only grow open pollinated varieties other than Sunsugar.

Last season was very rainy here in the beginning of the season (SW Pa) and my Brandwne Sudduth's had a lot of rot and disease while my Sunsugar plants did very well. So I wanted to try a few good hybrids this year.

I'm mainly interested in red or pink fruited tomatoes.

Just wanted to see what people like the best.

Thanks

Jim

AlittleSalt January 7, 2016 01:41 PM

We like Super Sweet Cherry 100. Early Girl and Celebrity are okay.

Will be trying Big Beef and Big Boy this spring/summer. And some others

Worth1 January 7, 2016 02:32 PM

From my limited experience I like early girl.
She puts out tomatoes when others have gave up the ghost.
Not big but at least they are there.

Worth

AKmark January 7, 2016 03:25 PM

Well grown Early Girl is a great tasting tomato, they grow in less than ideal conditions too. Last year I tried Mountain Fresh and loved it, great taste and nice fruit up to 1.5lbs.

habitat_gardener January 7, 2016 03:30 PM

I liked Momotaro a lot when I grew it. Haven't grown it since I started saving seed, though. It's a smooth pink tomato on the sweet side.j

seaeagle January 7, 2016 03:30 PM

I have grown about 10 hybrids and Jet Star is the most consistent.Tastes the same every year and is dependable and a heavy producer.No splitting and stays about the same size all season.It is the only hybrid I still grow.

jmsieglaff January 7, 2016 04:33 PM

I've seen many many recommendations for Big Beef F1 (red) on TVille. Haven't grown it myself, but will at some point given the recommendations it receives.

carolyn137 January 7, 2016 04:39 PM

For me the following hybrids have been the best, not new by any means but ones that I think really have great taste and production, and all are red.

Harris bred ones

Jet Star
Supersonic
Moreton Hybrid ( yes Hybrid is part of the variety name)

And of course

Ramapo

Carolyn

Fred Hempel January 7, 2016 06:23 PM

I second this..

[QUOTE=habitat_gardener;523745]I liked Momotaro a lot when I grew it. Haven't grown it since I started saving seed, though. It's a smooth pink tomato on the sweet side.j[/QUOTE]

Cole_Robbie January 7, 2016 06:33 PM

My grandparents always grew Jet Star. I like Big Beef better, but to be fair, I have only compared them in a high tunnel environment.

I'm trying Rebelski for the first time next summer and looking forward to it.

RJGlew January 7, 2016 06:43 PM

All of these are very good in Zone 3a. Best tasting [for me] is Steak Sandwich F1.

Pink:
Pink Girl F1
Pink Pounder F1
Steak Sandwich F1
Ultra Pink F1

Red:
Beefy Boy F1
Big Beef F1
Burpee's Burger F1
Early Doll F1
Fourth of July F1
Jet Star F1
Moreton F1 - a bit softer than others

I am not an Early Girl F1 fan - tastes like sand when grown here.

Douglas14 January 7, 2016 09:32 PM

I haven't grown many hybrids lately, but I did grow Jet Star one year(several years ago) and was quite impressed with it.

crazyoldgooseman January 7, 2016 09:39 PM

From my teenage years
Supersonic
Jet star
Celebrity
Mountain Pride

mecktom January 7, 2016 11:31 PM

Pink Girl And Big Beef are very good.

Gardeneer January 8, 2016 04:16 AM

There are numerous varieties to fit the requirement. Here are my recommendations :

BIG BEEF, BETTER BOY, BIG BOY.

I will be growing all 3 this year. I grew Big Beef last year and I was quite happy with it. Productive, early , good taste.

Gardeneer