Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 27, 2011   #1
guitarer
Tomatovillian™

Default 2 months later, any interest now?

I originally posted my FB photo album on 5/23/11 & it got little (read "no"!) interest. Two months later, when no one else I know around here has even picked one ripe tomato, I've harvested around 80 lbs., & many 1 lb. or over. Please take a few minutes to see if it's more interesting now:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...529a37e&type=1
guitarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2011   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful garden and creative setup and gorgeous fruits! That's quite an accomplishment in your area so soon in the summer.

My posts don't always get a response either- folks are usually extra busy in spring and summer and don't spend nearly as much time here. Don't take it personally.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2011   #3
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

It might help if you make the pictures public, so non-Facebook users can view them as well.

And that is quite an elaborate setup, with impressive growth.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2011   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post
It might help if you make the pictures public, so non-Facebook users can view them as well.
I'm not a Facebook user and this link was available to me, but I don't think the original pictures were, as I recall.
Old July 27, 2011   #5
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I'm not a Facebook user and this link was available to me, but I don't think the original pictures were, as I recall.
After being impressed, I forwarded the link to two different individuals, both of whom responded that they got a log in screen. However, when I logged out of FB, I could still get to the link. One just reported that on second try, they can now see them.
Old July 27, 2011   #6
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Very nice guitarer!!!!

Old July 27, 2011   #7
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to more about your fertilization.
Old July 27, 2011   #8
guitarer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Beautiful garden and creative setup and gorgeous fruits! That's quite an accomplishment in your area so soon in the summer.

My posts don't always get a response either- folks are usually extra busy in spring and summer and don't spend nearly as much time here. Don't take it personally.

kath
No offense taken at all, Kath, gardeners want to see results - & there were no results in May! It's taken a few years to perfect my computer-controlled "system", & even so, a lack of reading a manual on my part threw a wrench in the works in the past couple of HOT weeks. Computers are great, but we still need to tell 'em what to do! I'll probably post the FB link later in the season, too, or in the off-season. I hope all can view the album, I used the "public" link at the bottom of the album page, I'm not sure that it always works(?).
Old July 27, 2011   #9
strax
Tomatovillian™

beautiful!

I am especially jealous of having a roof over the tomatoes. i have wanted to do that for years. It rains too d@*! much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe i will move to the desert.

thanks for sharing the pics
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2011   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarer View Post
I'll probably post the FB link later in the season, too, or in the off-season. I hope all can view the album, I used the "public" link at the bottom of the album page, I'm not sure that it always works(?).
I hope it does 'cause I always enjoy seeing everyone's garden pics- thanks for posting yours. Enjoy your bounty!
Old July 27, 2011   #11
guitarer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post

After being impressed, I forwarded the link to two different individuals, both of whom responded that they got a log in screen. However, when I logged out of FB, I could still get to the link. One just reported that on second try, they can now see them.
Many thanks, all; I had someone not on FB try the link & it worked for them, it may not work in all browsers(?).
As for fertilizer, I basically use the Earthbox formula, using one of their recommended fertilizers (whichever one I can find on clearance!). I buy powdered dolomite (online drugstores sell it in 16 oz bottles) also, plus this year I added potash - with a HUGE improvement in fruit quality & TASTE! I've also added some Miracle Gro for tomatoes to the root tank, but can't really vouch that it's made any difference. I also add perlite to the potting mix (Schultz Moisture Control).
Old July 27, 2011   #12
guitarer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by strax View Post
beautiful!

I am especially jealous of having a roof over the tomatoes. i have wanted to do that for years. It rains too d@*! much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe i will move to the desert.

thanks for sharing the pics
The roof is the SINGLE most important feature, though neighbors probably think I'm nutz! I planted a "Kellogg's Breakfast" plant in a pot, uncovered - but otherwise cared for as were the others - & it is a diseased MESS! It's produced a few 'maters, but the stems/leaves are yellow & black from fungal disease. The roof is probably even more important for keeping the dew off than for rain; dew + heat + daytime humidity = ruined plants. I won't bother with any uncovered next season, it's a waste of time/space!
Old July 28, 2011   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The roof is the SINGLE most important feature, though neighbors probably think I'm nutz!
Guitarer, very nice and your preaching to the choir. I've been doin it undercover in my make shift greenhouse for the past 5 years and the plants definately grow bigger and are more healthy than their container counterparts in the open. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0566.jpg (260.6 KB, 93 views)
Old July 28, 2011   #14
guitarer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Guitarer, very nice and your preaching to the choir. I've been doin it undercover in my make shift greenhouse for the past 5 years and the plants definately grow bigger and are more healthy than their container counterparts in the open. Ami
Oh, YEAH!!! I believe I saw some of your posts/pics a few years back, we're definitely on the same growing-track. I'm particularly curious about your using styrofoam coolers for planters - I KNOW you have a great reason (keeping the potting mix temp more stable?), care to divulge?
Old July 31, 2011   #15
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

I'd love to see them but I refuse to use Facebook or Twitter. I leave them to people like Anthony Weiner.
duckfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
container garden , drip irrigation , earthbox , hanging garden , tomatoes in pots