Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   2 months later, any interest now? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19300)

guitarer July 27, 2011 10:22 PM

2 months later, any interest now?

I originally posted my FB photo album on 5/23/11 & it got little (read "no"!:D) interest. Two months later, when no one else I know around here has even picked one ripe tomato, I've harvested around 80 lbs., & many 1 lb. or over. Please take a few minutes to see if it's more interesting now;):

[url]http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1898429952479.106903.1593544021&l=cec529a37e&type=1[/url]

kath July 27, 2011 11:03 PM

Beautiful garden and creative setup and gorgeous fruits! That's quite an accomplishment in your area so soon in the summer.

My posts don't always get a response either- folks are usually extra busy in spring and summer and don't spend nearly as much time here. Don't take it personally. ;)

kath

Keiththibodeaux July 27, 2011 11:06 PM

It might help if you make the pictures public, so non-Facebook users can view them as well.

And that is quite an elaborate setup, with impressive growth.

kath July 27, 2011 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=Keiththibodeaux;225914]It might help if you make the pictures public, so non-Facebook users can view them as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Facebook user and this link was available to me, but I don't think the original pictures were, as I recall.

Keiththibodeaux July 27, 2011 11:13 PM

:dizzy:[QUOTE=kath;225916]I'm not a Facebook user and this link was available to me, but I don't think the original pictures were, as I recall.[/QUOTE]

After being impressed, I forwarded the link to two different individuals, both of whom responded that they got a log in screen. However, when I logged out of FB, I could still get to the link. One just reported that on second try, they can now see them.

DiggingDogFarm July 27, 2011 11:17 PM

Very nice guitarer!!!!

:)

Keiththibodeaux July 27, 2011 11:30 PM

I'd like to more about your fertilization.

guitarer July 27, 2011 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=kath;225913]Beautiful garden and creative setup and gorgeous fruits! That's quite an accomplishment in your area so soon in the summer.

My posts don't always get a response either- folks are usually extra busy in spring and summer and don't spend nearly as much time here. Don't take it personally. ;)

kath[/QUOTE]

No offense taken at all, Kath, gardeners want to see results - & there were no results in May! It's taken a few years to perfect my computer-controlled "system", & even so, a lack of reading a manual on my part threw a wrench in the works in the past couple of HOT weeks. Computers are great, but we still need to tell 'em what to do:twisted:! I'll probably post the FB link later in the season, too, or in the off-season. I hope all can view the album, I used the "public" link at the bottom of the album page, I'm not sure that it always works(?).

strax July 27, 2011 11:32 PM

beautiful!

I am especially jealous of having a roof over the tomatoes. i have wanted to do that for years. It rains too d@*! much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe i will move to the desert.

thanks for sharing the pics

kath July 27, 2011 11:37 PM

[QUOTE=guitarer;225922] I'll probably post the FB link later in the season, too, or in the off-season. I hope all can view the album, I used the "public" link at the bottom of the album page, I'm not sure that it always works(?).[/QUOTE]

I hope it does 'cause I always enjoy seeing everyone's garden pics- thanks for posting yours. Enjoy your bounty!

guitarer July 27, 2011 11:40 PM

[QUOTE=Keiththibodeaux;225918]:dizzy:

After being impressed, I forwarded the link to two different individuals, both of whom responded that they got a log in screen. However, when I logged out of FB, I could still get to the link. One just reported that on second try, they can now see them.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks, all; I had someone not on FB try the link & it worked for them, it may not work in all browsers(?).
As for fertilizer, I basically use the Earthbox formula, using one of their recommended fertilizers (whichever one I can find on clearance!:))). I buy powdered dolomite (online drugstores sell it in 16 oz bottles) also, plus this year I added potash - with a HUGE improvement in fruit quality & TASTE! I've also added some Miracle Gro for tomatoes to the root tank, but can't really vouch that it's made any difference. I also add perlite to the potting mix (Schultz Moisture Control).

guitarer July 27, 2011 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=strax;225923]beautiful!

I am especially jealous of having a roof over the tomatoes. i have wanted to do that for years. It rains too d@*! much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe i will move to the desert.

thanks for sharing the pics[/QUOTE]

The roof is the SINGLE most important feature, though neighbors probably think I'm nutz!:dizzy: I planted a "Kellogg's Breakfast" plant in a pot, uncovered - but otherwise cared for as were the others - & it is a diseased MESS! It's produced a few 'maters, but the stems/leaves are yellow & black from fungal disease. The roof is probably even more important for keeping the dew off than for rain; dew + heat + daytime humidity = ruined plants. I won't bother with any uncovered next season, it's a waste of time/space!

amideutch July 28, 2011 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE]The roof is the SINGLE most important feature, though neighbors probably think I'm nutz![/QUOTE]

Guitarer, very nice and your preaching to the choir. I've been doin it undercover in my make shift greenhouse for the past 5 years and the plants definately grow bigger and are more healthy than their container counterparts in the open. Ami

guitarer July 28, 2011 01:09 AM

[QUOTE=amideutch;225929]Guitarer, very nice and your preaching to the choir. I've been doin it undercover in my make shift greenhouse for the past 5 years and the plants definately grow bigger and are more healthy than their container counterparts in the open. Ami[/QUOTE]

Oh, YEAH!!! I believe I saw some of your posts/pics a few years back, we're definitely on the same growing-track. I'm particularly curious about your using styrofoam coolers for planters - I KNOW you have a great reason (keeping the potting mix temp more stable?), care to divulge?:yes:

duckfan July 31, 2011 12:41 PM

I'd love to see them but I refuse to use Facebook or Twitter. I leave them to people like Anthony Weiner.