Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 10, 2013   #16
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Plants look great. Keep us posted on your results.

I had a problem with slugs. I tried using beer but it didn't work, until I gave it to the slugs.
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2013   #17
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

PA_Julia,
Your plants are looking good. Are you trying any of the big pumpkins this year? I was following your pumpkin thread last year but somehow lost track of it during last season. If I remember right, I think you had some health issues last year and there was a break in your posting. If you had issues with your health, I hope everything is much better this year for you, and you're able enjoy the growing season. After all, that's what most of us live for. Best of luck with your garden this year. Look forward to your posts.
dpurdy
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2013   #18
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Hi Dpurdy!!!

Actually I'm still on that website but I'm not growing giant pumpkins this year.
I've decided to concentrate on growing what I'm obsessed with and that's giant tomatoes.

My online diary is up to date and is located on that same website at ;

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/Dia...61639&action=L

Thank you for asking about my health.

I'm not doing too badly at the moment.
Old June 10, 2013   #19
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Julia,
It's good to hear that you're doing better health wise. I'll be sure to check out your diary. You must have a competitive streak in you. You're always trying to grow the BIG one, no matter what veggie you grow.
dpurdy
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2013   #20
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Yes I do have a competitive streak in me!
Thank you. I'm in remission at the moment and feeling rather well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
Julia,
It's good to hear that you're doing better health wise. I'll be sure to check out your diary. You must have a competitive streak in you. You're always trying to grow the BIG one, no matter what veggie you grow.
dpurdy
Old June 11, 2013   #21
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
Hi Bill!!

In order to have the plants concentrate their energy towards the growth of giant specimens, all plants will be topped at 6 feet.

Any additional growth past that mark has been shown to adversely affect size of tomatoes due to the plant focusing energy and nutrients in growth that is superfluous.
I'm doing just the opposite this year. I don't know if I'll have any large fruit. I'm trying something a bit different for me this year in that I am using only grafted plants and feeding them every week with Texas Tomato Food. Anyway, I've had the most amazing fruit set. My plants are absolutely overloaded with fruit and as a result many that would ordinarily be large are ripening when they are quite small. I was afraid this would happen but I have just never had so many tomatoes on the vine at one time on so many plants I just had to see what would happen. Some varieties like Delicious, Terhune, Giant Belgium, German Johnson and others will get the fruit culled for sure next year if they set like this again. Oh well we have been out of sauce in our freezer since December so we need to put up a lot this year and all those little ones will help fill the pot up.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2013   #22
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Excellent Bill!!

I hope they produce for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I'm doing just the opposite this year. I don't know if I'll
have any large fruit. I'm trying something a bit different for me this year in that I am using only grafted plants and feeding them every week with Texas Tomato Food. Anyway, I've had the most amazing fruit set. My plants are absolutely overloaded with fruit and as a result many that would ordinarily be large are ripening when they are quite small. I was afraid this would happen but I have just never had so many tomatoes on the vine at one time on so many plants I just had to see what would happen. Some varieties like Delicious, Terhune, Giant Belgium, German Johnson and others will get the fruit culled for sure next year if they set like this again. Oh well we have been out of sauce in our freezer since December so we need to put up a lot this year and all those little ones will help fill the pot up.

Bill
Old June 11, 2013   #23
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

Your "Delicious" tomatoes will likely be your best competition tomatoes this year! My experience with them is that they produce more fused buds than any other variety I've tried, and the non-fused fruit often surpased 2 pounds each!
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #24
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Hi!!

Last year I only had two plants that were capable of growing giants which were Big Zac.

I obtained Dr. Meisner's book, Growing Giant Tomatoes about half way through the season but by following his book it netted a tomato of 2.86 lbs which currently is my personal best.

Gordan Grahams world record tomato of 7 LBS 18 OZ lbs came from a Delicious plant.

I have three Delicious plants growing with one already with a three fused blossom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfrog View Post
Your "Delicious" tomatoes will likely be your best competition tomatoes this year! My experience with them is that they produce more fused buds than any other variety I've tried, and the non-fused fruit often surpased 2 pounds each!
Old June 12, 2013   #25
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
Hi!!

Last year I only had two plants that were capable of growing giants which were Big Zac.

I obtained Dr. Meisner's book, Growing Giant Tomatoes about half way through the season but by following his book it netted a tomato of 2.86 lbs which currently is my personal best.

Gordan Grahams world record tomato of 7 LBS 18 OZ lbs came from a Delicious plant.

I have three Delicious plants growing with one already with a three fused blossom.
Julia, please, how many fruits you leave about on the plant Delicious?
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #26
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Hello Vladimír!

Like the rest of my plants that I'm growing for size competition I will have only one remaining growing after culling (removing) an additional one to observe which is growing more rapidly.

One tomato growing on the entire plant is the goal.

The plants energy and nutrients must focus itself on growing the one tomato that has shown the best traits of reaching a heavy weight.
Old June 12, 2013   #27
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

looking great Julia! keep posting pics I want to see a 2lb mato
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #28
mikeytj
Tomatovillian™

Julia, beautiful job of TLC on your plants! Αγαπώ τομάτες!!! back at you!
Old June 12, 2013   #29
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

Your best would have ranked with the best at our state fair last year! I'm going to have to check out "Growing Giant Tomatoes", too!
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013   #30
Uncle Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

Great line up with some great looking plants.
Uncle Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote