Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 21, 2010   #61
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,
I spent a few months in northern CA in 1970, I'm having second thoughts about leaving. That's how it's doing. - We've still got about a foot of snow but it's starting to melt. MY my my. Those sure are some nice looking seedlings. I need to get busy and figure out what I'm planting this year since time is starting to get short for my seed starting dates.
Old February 27, 2010   #62
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Another week inside. Lows next week in mid-30s. Man, there have been years I've had tomatoes in the ground by Valentines Day, and this year it's looking more and more like St. Patricks Day.

Went out and tilled Bed No. 1 (Bed No. 2 still has active broccoli going) with a C20 soil conditioner and chicken poop. The ground was still marginally too cold and a bit too moist for effective tilling (gosh darnoodley clay), I will have to retill before planting anyway to get the rock phosphate worked in.
Old February 27, 2010   #63
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

This will probably be one of the few and far between years that 3/4 of the country gets their plants out before I do! I have to wait until May 30 (and last year, the horrible and sneaky Frost Varmint gave us a 30 degree morning on June 9!!! First time in 32 years here...) I start getting antsy about the first week in May...it just kills me to wait. I know that those of you in Texas need to "beat the heat" of late summer so I imagine that a delayed plant date is worrisome? And currently, we have no snow on the ground and it was 56 today...Mother Nature toys with me...
Old March 16, 2010   #64
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Ha ha! As noted in duajone's thread about the weather, I went to ground about ten days ago. A bit of sunburn here and there, and some wind damage (may have to replace one of the Black Krims if it doesn't recover sufficiently) but otherwise everyone is fine. I finally got around to playing with soaker hoses and have decided that next year, I should put them down BEFORE putting up cages. Live and learn. Photos soon.
Old March 30, 2010   #65
Karamazovv
Tomatovillian™

Some news of my Myskotka..
80 days after sowing..

Very good tatse for an indoor tomato..
Karamazovv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #66
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

--okay, I'll just skip to the newest baby pics.

Number one is a Tony's Italian. For comparison, the fruit shown is the size of a ripe Chadwick's. Amazing since it didn't have ANY last week that I saw!

Number two is (most likely) a Black and Brown Board. There are several this size.

Number three is a Bloody Butcher. A few more here and there.

Most everything else in the process of blooming, with the exception of a few young/held-back plants that are still putting on height. I am hopeful that I will be able to have a staggered harvest with something left for SETTFest on 6/19.

Not pictured: first baby Ball's Zucchini of the season. It did not make it out of the garden *burp*

(I will try tomorrow to get shots of the beds as a whole)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0322 copy.jpg (983.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0323 copy.jpg (252.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0325 copy.jpg (269.8 KB, 19 views)
Old April 26, 2010   #67
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

And here they are, Bed One and Bed Two. Note active anti-squirrel recon patrol.

The Bloody Butchers in Bed Two are loaded from the bottom up with fruits, but they're in the background relative to where I shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bed One.jpg (401.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Bed Two.jpg (399.9 KB, 14 views)