Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 10, 2016   #46
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

A few more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1615_1024.jpg (255.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1616_1024.jpg (175.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1617_1024.jpg (161.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1619_1024.jpg (162.5 KB, 106 views)
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2016   #47
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I've been enjoying your pictures, keep them coming! How's the flavor of that one? I've read it is supposed to be rather intense, which is right up my alley.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; June 10, 2016 at 11:13 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #48
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson_WY View Post
Dwarf Golden Gypsy continues to grow in height - it is about 5' tall now and continues to set fruit!
Hudson, do you remove any laterals on the Gypsy?

Mine are so dense and compact, but maybe they will grow taller and look like yours eventually. Or was it because of the shorter days when you started?
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #49
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

PureHarvest - I have not pruned any laterals on the Gypsy. They are in 10 gallon containers - I water them daily and fertilize once a week. It may just be the GH environment with controlled temperatures the encourage vertical growth - I'm not sure. The Gypsy is more dense than New Big Dwarf and they are both about the same height.
Old June 18, 2016   #50
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

I put a measure tape to Dwarf Golden Gypsy last night and the plants are 6' in height. I can't stand far enough back from the plants to get a photo of their total height. I do like the fruit shape and size on this variety - it is easy to slice. I do like the taste - especially for a variety in the taste spectrum. The plants are great producers and are still setting fruit at the bottom - middle - and top of the plant - like our other dwarf plants!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1707_1024.jpg (257.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1708_1024.jpg (270.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1714_1024.jpg (463.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1715_1024.jpg (407.1 KB, 80 views)
Old June 18, 2016   #51
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

It's been interesting to see how this dwarf from our Dwarf Project grows in your ideal greenhouse conditions. Just goes to show the importance of diligent care and feeding for potted plants so they can live up to their potential. If that gorgeous greenhouse were mine, I'd be swapping out some of those Brandy Boys for a few Dwarf Sweet Scarlett and Dwarf Blazing Beauty for some more variety in color and flavor.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2016   #52
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Just amazing looking plants!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2016   #53
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks PhilaGardener! Good suggestions Ddsack! I hope our success with Dwarf Golden Gypsy will help show appreciation for all those that participate in the "Dwarf Project". Dwarf Golden Gypsy would probably not exist without the efforts of those that participate. We have enjoyed growing Dwarf Golden Gypsy and may have to try Dwarf Sweet Scarlett and Dwarf Blazing Beauty.

Thanks to all those that give of their time and efforts participating the the "Dwarf Project!"
Old July 20, 2016   #54
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

More photos taken this morning of our Dwarf Golden Gypsy. I like this variety!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_2428_1024.jpg (282.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_2429_1024.jpg (304.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_2430_1024.jpg (236.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_2431_1024.jpg (360.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_2432_1024.jpg (305.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_2435_1024.jpg (443.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_2436_1024.jpg (285.2 KB, 53 views)
Old July 20, 2016   #55
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Great pics!! How would you describe the flavor--mild, balanced, intense? Dominated by sweet, tang, etc.?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2016   #56
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

jmsieglaff - I am impressed with this variety. For a yellow tomato the taste is sweet along with a tangy taste. It is more than sweet and not mushy bland tasting! The plant has been a pleasure to grow as it responds to care and produces!
Old July 20, 2016   #57
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Awwww Hudson, you make my mouth water!
As I said before, if you loved this, you'll love some other yellow dwarfs... Summer Sunrise for example.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016   #58
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Narnian!
Old July 23, 2016   #59
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

I grew Golden Gypsy this year with mixed results. Productivity was moderate to good and fruits ranged from 6oz to 16oz, averaging about 10oz, a few where very badly miss-shaped. Flavour was slightly tangy without enough sweet to balance it. In most cases that would describe my favourite flavour profile, but these tasted watered down. We had a much wetter year than normal and all that rain may have caused problems with them. They were so juicy that they did not make good salad or sandwich tomatoes and they rotted quickly on the counter. The few I ate fresh I chopped into a bowl and ate with a spoon. I did make a couple of jars of juice of them but have not used any yet. The plants were strong and healthy and where still producing well after all the other varieties in my garden had given up in the heat. The last half dozen tomatoes I got this season came from this plant and there where a couple of viable looking green ones on it when I pulled the plant. I will grow Golden Gypsy again and hope for better results in a dryer year, but I will have to get improved taste and texture to pursue them beyond that.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #60
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

A Blind Hog - I'm not a huge fan of yellow tomatoes and only grow a couple plants when I grow them. I did notice a significant difference in taste and texture as the fruit ripened though - more so than with red/pink tomatoes. Too green and the fruit was too firm and not sweet - too ripe and the fruit's taste was watered down sweet and had a mushy texture. But in-between they were just right - for a salad, sandwich or whatever! The taste was distinct and not watered down - nor were they too juicy (watery) or mushy. IMO - the gardener needs to check the fruit on the counter daily and eat them at the desired stage of ripeness - for their preference in taste and texture in a yellow tomato.