Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2007   #31
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Well, none of my varieties made it in, based on the linked files. Joanne gave me a little extra time to submit because of my hospitalization, but must not have received the copy after all--or not in time. I used Tania's Excel spreadsheet (with her permission).

Kudos to Tania and Andrey for their preservation of information as well as seeds!!! As someone with an historical preservation/conservation background, I'm anal about this stuff so it's really wonderful to hear about others just as committed (if not committable like me :>)

Feldon/Morgan, a database is needed likebutbetterthan the original one for chiles and to replace the crap that is on the SODC website.

Just my (impure) thoughts,
Jennifer, who is now finally in a financial position to renew her membership and so get her grubby hands on the forementioned Yearbook
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2007   #32
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I love what they are doing, as an organization, and what they have accomplished. All of these websites like TomatoGrowers, Sandhill Preservation, Baker Creek, etc. would not exist if it were not for SSE.

However the SSE Yearbook itself is not a representative document for the love their organization, and all the members, put into growing these vegetables! Not having an online edition or an early edition available makes the SSE Yearbook of little value to zone 8, 9, and 10 tomato, potato, and pepper growers except for planning a year ahead.

If I had that financial freedom, I'd gladly set aside a month and do the graphic design for peanuts (or tomatoes).

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2007   #33
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

I received my first yearbook today. It is definitely a little overwhelming (as overwhelming as tomatoes can be - this is fun after all). There are so many varieties, and I don't really have a clue how to evaluate them. There are many varieties that I have never heard, even with my lurking and posting on tomato web sites for a little over a year now.

As Morgan (can I call you Morgan?) has pointed out few times, it sure would be nice to have some sort of database online, maybe along the lines of the wikipedia model - so people can post information, but with a review process by a panel of experts to remove made up varieties, incorrect information, etc. Of course it would be a neverending job, but it would be great to have a reference for all of the knowledge that the "experts" (we know who they are) have in their heads and their old yearbooks.

I am looking forward to going through the yearbook in more detail...

Pete
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2007   #34
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcm05
Oh man! That's awful Suze! How many were you planning to list? Do you normally send them in an excel file?
Thanks for the kind words, John. I was kind of ticked off the other day, but I'll live, I suppose.

I was a member previously, but this was my first year listing. I only listed 17 varieties, but from what I've been told, only 13 of my listings made it into the Yearbook.

No idea why. And I still don't have my Yearbook , so I can't really see the details of what might have happened.

Hopefully, I'll get it earlier than I did last year (March).

Boy oh boy, I sure wish they would consider going to an electronic format. Might prevent some of these errors/omissions, and would also help some of us warmer zone growers a bit in terms of having access to the listings on a semi-timely basis.

Among other things.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2007   #35
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Suze - I am so sorry to hear that not all your varieties were included. How could that happen?

I yet to receive my SSE Yearbook , but the requests already started to come...

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2007   #36
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania
Suze - I am so sorry to hear that not all your varieties were included. How could that happen?
I think I know what happened now. I received my Yearbook the other day, but frankly haven't even wanted to go through it (plus I've been busy potting up seedlings). But I thought I needed to...

Looks like the listings are 'there', exactly as I've written them, just not under my member code. *sigh*

The ones that were omitted are:
Bordo
Brad's Black Heart
Gary O'Sena
Green Giant
(in other words, the last four on my spreadsheet)

I've sent MI HE R an e-mail so we can sort through this. It's entirely possible this member is also listing at least some of these, as they are listing over 80 tomato varieties.

Edited to add, this person is kind enough that they offered to e-mail me information on any requests so that I can still fill them, and will also send $$ sent for requests. And, no, they are NOT also listing those varieties.

Also, just noticed my e-mail address is misspelled in the listing. Ugh. Just transpose the two obvious letters, please.

My listings are as follows, and SSE members are free to request the omitted ones as well; just put 'em on the request form.

yellow/orange:
Orange-1

pink/purple:
Dora (LQ-I don't have that many seeds)
Earl's Faux
Gary O'Sena (s/b in 'other', but it's not)
Gogosha
Kalman's Hungarian Pink

red:
Chapman
Ethel Watkins Best
Kimberly
Neves Azorean Red
Picardy
Prue
Wes

other:
Berkeley Tie Dye
Bordo
Brad's Black Heart (was listed as LQ, but I will also consider honoring requests from non-listed members on this one depending on availability/how many requests I get)
Green Giant
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2007   #37
robbins
Tomatovillian™

Default yearbook

Am I the only person that still hasn't recieved their yearbook? It's a ★★★★er to get orders coming in and still no yearbook here.
robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2007   #38
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Robbins, you are not the only one - I don't have mine yet either

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2007   #39
grungy
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default New SSE Yearbook arrived

My copy hasn't arrived either, but then I don't expect it for at least another month, based on the last 3 years.
Cheers,
Val aka Grungy
grungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2007   #40
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Oh I have NOT gotten mine, in case you missed any of my other posts whining about it. :wink: I am going to call today to make sure its coming........................
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2007   #41
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Suze,

They misspelled your e-mail address? And attributed 4 of your varieties to someone else?

That sounds like grounds for a complaint, especially since you provided the data in Excel format.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2007   #42
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao all,

No yearbook crossed the threshold of my front door up in the tundra. Amid the mixed reviews, this is my first year being a member and I'm way excited.

Cheers!
Old February 13, 2007   #43
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Got it!!! WAAAAHOOOOOO headed to Orlando for a week. I forced myself NOT to look at it so I can study on the way OH YA!!! (doin the happy dance)))))))
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2007   #44
robbins
Tomatovillian™

Default SSE

Still no yearbook here - how come MO - right next to Iowa for heavens sake, is the last (or at least I feel like it must be the last!)
Any one else still waiting?
robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2007   #45
grungy
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default New SSE Yearbook arrived

We're still waiting too. Only about 3 more weeks if they arrive on their usual time. LOL

G./V.
grungy is offline   Reply With Quote