Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 2, 2008   #1
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default How to mail tomato plants?

Hi Folks -

One of our fellow Tomatovillians lost her crop of Kasachstan. Mine germinated almost too well, so I want to share mine with her. How does one mail tomato plants? Thanks!
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I can tell you how I'm planning to do it ...

I've got 4 tomato plants from a cell pack. I've wrapped a moist paper towel around the roots (including soil, not bare root). I put each plant into its own zip lock bag and zipped it around the stem, leaving the top of the plant outside the baggie.

I'm using a flat rate mailing box from the post office. I cut a piece of cardboard the size of the bottom of the box and I've stapled the baggies to that piece. I hot glued that piece into the bottom of the box to keep it in place.

Since I will be leaving for the post office in a few minutes to mail this, I don't have any idea how it will work, but it looks safe to me.

Good luck!

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Darrel seems to have some of the best plans for mailing tomato plants I've seen, and he documents it fully on his website.

http://www.selectedplants.com/ordering.htm

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008   #4
robin303
Tomatovillian™

That needs to put on a sticky for sure.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008   #5
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Thanks folks! I guess I'll spend the day hunting up materials, LOL.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008   #6
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Darrel's got probably the most reliable method of mailing plants. I've mailed a bunch in the past and my method is much simpler, though I'm sure it's also less reliable. I lightlyl crumple newspaper into the bottom of a box. Take plants out of their container and shake off dirt (bare root tomatoes), place them horizontally in the box, lightly crumple newspaper on top so that the plants are firmly ensconced in it, close top, tape shut, and mail from local post office. I've done this three seasons in a row with extra plants and mailed them from California to Missouri (probably 24 plants in all) and so far none lost.
pbud is offline   Reply With Quote