Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 7, 2021   #1
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Default Craig's Book

I've had this book for 5 or 6 yrs. now and find myself going back to it a couple of times each growing season. I found the section on container growing helpful to me when I was just starting to grow tomatoes in containers and experiencing growing pains so to speak. I found some useful tips which helped me very much in this new to me type of tomato growing.
Another section of the book I found fascinating was the section on tomato history of our old time varieties and the old seed catalogs.
And of course the section on troubleshooting Tomato diseases and pests is very helpful also. And I think the seed starting section has become the gospel of how most of us start our seeds.
I also found dispersed throughout the book the "Ten Tastiest" varieties displayed with comments about their taste subtleties and excellence which was helpful for me to discover the "new to me" wonderful varieties of Polish and Lucky Cross. There are a few more on this list that I'm getting ready to try soon.
So these are some of the sections of the book I found to be particularly helpful for me, but the entire book is very well written with many years of knowledge and expertise at my finger tips.
I would recommend this book to anyone who has a passion for growing "The Best Varieties of All Time".
I probably should mention the name of the book for anyone interested in getting it. EPIC TOMATOES by Craig LeHoullier

Last edited by Yak54; March 7, 2021 at 11:51 AM.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2021   #2
Rosine
Tomatovillian™

The skin an flesh an how they mix - for the different colours were new to me, this is something I have not know or thought about.

Content is good, but let me say something about the ebook.

I am happy with it.
the tables for the varieties: often tables in ebooks become blurred when you enlarge them and you cannot read anything. The ones here are clearly visible, there was much expertise in making it good for ebook readers.
And the pictures are sharp too, even when you make them large.
The text does not become smaller when he tells extra storys, good for my eyes.
These are things which made this book very easy read. Many books do not consider this and you can throw them in the virtual trash.

But, what about Polish? I have some seeds but not on the list this year. Need to go check the book.
Rosine is offline   Reply With Quote