Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 31, 2017   #1
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Default identifing good and bad?

I'm still trying to learn the difference in what I need to be worried about and not...
The first picture I think is a flea beetle? I've only seen the one, but assuming there may be more. Is he a scout?
The second picture I snapped because I was trying to capture a pic of that little red flea? Hoverfly? But when I blew the pic up, I noticed those two light green looking things on the leaf. Is that anything?

Last night, I put up about three of those yellow sticky cards but all I saw this morning was mosquitos stuck to it (I think).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170526_164512.jpg (386.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20170530_174430.jpg (309.3 KB, 79 views)
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017   #2
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

First thought was hoverfly on the colourful one.
They are very good friends.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017   #3
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, at first glance some kind of predatory wasp? And a hoverfly, I agree. Could be wrong. Many insects are obvious in their intentions - friend or foe - just by their behavior or look. I tend to leave them until I know definitively they're foe.
Old June 1, 2017   #4
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Flea beetles are tiny, round and dark. They jump quickly when disturbed. I used to have 'em before the spider mites took over. Now I kinda miss them...
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #5
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to learn to identify creatures in the garden. It is not easy! They don't like to cooperate with having their photo taken, and then when I try to look them up on the internet...I am never quite sure. They don't always match up exactly to samples that are shown. It would be much easier if they would wear name tags
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I get a little bug damage on my lowest leaves, flea beetles, maybe. But the plants always grow out of it. Tomato foliage is mildly poisonous, so the list of bugs that eat it is a fairly short one, or at least the ones who can stomach enough of it to do serious damage.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote